Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 06, 2024, 05:31:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I reach out?  (Read 911 times)
jukeboxhero

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: November 19, 2018, 05:02:45 PM »

I’m not sure if this is the right forum, admins please move this thread if appropriate.

I met a new girl, and I’ve been looking for red flags, there are several. I’m suspecting she’s not BPD, but has Asperger’s. From what I understand, one can often look like the other. The main reason I don’t think she’s BPD, is that she hasn’t been mirroring me. If anything, she’s been argumentative and disagreeable. Initially, it was more like playful banter/flirting.

I’ve only seen her 4 times, twice in a group setting, twice just the 2 of us. The last time we went out, she was cold and distant. The next couple of days, I asked her out twice. She declined the first time, and hasn’t even responded to the second time. I’m conflicted as to whether I should reach out to her again at all. If she was normal and healthy (she isn’t), or she was BPD, it’s obvious that I shouldn’t. However, I strongly suspect she has Asperger’s, in which case I don’t know…

My last text to her was sent 1 week ago. I know she’s returning today from a business trip. The Thanksgiving holiday is in a few days. Should I just wait until next week to reach out, if at all?
Insom

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 05:37:01 PM »

Hi, jukeboxhero.   Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

What, if any, indicators of interest have you received? 

jukeboxhero

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 09:32:01 PM »

Well, we met in a group setting. My friend was more interested in her than I was. I thought she was interested in me though, by certain looks and conversations that night. My friend exchanged numbers with her to hangout. The next day, he messaged me that she wanted my number. After relaying it, she messaged me and we began texting. She told me, “you said some things last night that piqued my curiosity” and that I “have a familiar presence about you”. (I’m not sure if this is an indicator of interest or a red flag, or both).

I asked her out and we had a nice time together. During dinner, she mentioned how well we had clicked. The following day was Halloween, I invited her to join me and some friends for an event. We had a great time. We were teasing and flirting with each other alot. While walking back to our vehicles, she took my arm in hers, but then scolded me for keeping it limp. She texted me that night asking me to let her know when I got home safely. (I had a single drink, which is rare for me.) She said she had fun. Now, She’s really into the Meyers-Briggs personality classifications, but won’t tell me hers, for some reason. I’m INFJ, so I teased her about being worried about me getting home, so she must have the “Feeling” trait too. She responded, “I’m just sensitive to yours.”

Now, she didn’t really want to get together again, until about 1.5 weeks later. That date didn’t go very well. She was cold, distant, didn’t talk very much. I got her to laugh and smile a few times though. Conversation was difficult, so I tried the "36 questions" to get to know someone.

Here was the low point of the evening: The first question is just, "If you could have anyone as a dinner guest, who would it be?" She said an old elementary teacher she used to have... .then she started crying. She shed a few tears then said, "Do you think it bothers me that I cried in front of you? Well, it doesn't."

So, yeah... .there's more details that I've left out, but that's the gist of it.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 11:27:27 PM »

You threw the ball into her court. Whether or not she's BPD or an Aspie, you did.  Even if she is neither of those,  what is the emotional risk to you to reach out again? She might not be either BPD or Asperger's. She might just want to be pursued.  If so,  how do you feel about that?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
jukeboxhero

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 11:56:16 AM »

what is the emotional risk to you to reach out again? She might not be either BPD or Asperger's. She might just want to be pursued.  If so,  how do you feel about that?

I risk making things worse, if she doesn't want to hear from me. I could push her away further, possibly make her angry with me. I'd feel rejected and ashamed. Everytime I've tried to pursue a woman when she's distant, the situation ends up getting worse. I've never been interested in a woman who actually wants to be pursued, but then I'm self-sabotaging, so... .
Insom

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 12:04:09 PM »

Excerpt
I’ve been looking for red flags, there are several. I’m suspecting she’s not BPD, but has Asperger’s. From what I understand, one can often look like the other. The main reason I don’t think she’s BPD, is that she hasn’t been mirroring me. If anything, she’s been argumentative and disagreeable.

FWIW, already this doesn't sound like an easy relationship.  Aside from the fact that she initiated contact by reaching out via your friend, what is the draw?  Do you know what you want in general out of a romantic relationship?

jukeboxhero

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 01:49:26 PM »

Besides the last time we saw each other, she's been alot of fun to be around. She has a great sense of humor. The conversations are intellectually stimulating. I know that I want comfort and companionship out of a relationship.
Insom

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 02:11:46 PM »

Excerpt
I know that I want comfort and companionship out of a relationship.

Do you see potential for this with her?

jukeboxhero

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 03:35:49 PM »

Maybe, I don't know yet. I've been trying not to jump to conclusions or make assumptions. I haven't been succeeding at that.
Insom

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 04:03:13 PM »

Excerpt
Maybe, I don't know yet. I've been trying not to jump to conclusions or make assumptions.

It sounds like you're still sorting your thoughts/feeling unsure.   How do you feel about sitting with this for a few more days before reaching out again, or not?

jukeboxhero

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »

I think I'll wait until after the Thanksgiving holiday and weekend. It's probably best to wait until any stress from family dynamics is over with. Not just mine, but her's also.
jukeboxhero

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 09:04:51 PM »

Well, I messaged her a couple days after Thanksgiving. I simply asked how she was doing, if she had a nice Thanksgiving, and said how I spent the holiday. No response.

It appears I've been ghosted. I don't know why she responded to the first message after our last date. I'm not sure why she would lose interest so quickly, when she was so interested to begin with. I keep wanting to blame myself, for something I did wrong... .I have no idea what though.

I almost miss putting up with a pwBPD, at least I know what I'm dealing with. Speaking of which, my ex texted me on Thanksgiving. I had given her a Christmas ornament last year when we were still on good terms, and she took the opportunity to setup her Christmas tree and send me a picture. I haven't responded. She didn't even ask any questions, so no real reason to respond.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 09:32:39 PM »

Are you ghosting your ex?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
jukeboxhero

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 09:55:54 PM »

No, we were supposed to get together the weekend before halloween for an event. She flaked on me hours before via text. I responded, asking if I could call her. She never responded. I went to the event anyway with friends, ended up meeting this new girl. Now, she texts me out of the blue on Thanksgiving, about her Christmas tree.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 10:04:52 PM »

Ah. Then I wouldn't blame you.  I might do the same.  Unless you wanted to step into the "I contacted you and you never answered me so why are you contacting me now?" Too much drama. 

Insom

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 10:41:23 AM »

You know a person is complicated when they inspire you to "miss putting up with BPD."

Excerpt
I don't know why she responded to the first message after our last date. I'm not sure why she would lose interest so quickly, when she was so interested to begin with. I keep wanting to blame myself, for something I did wrong... .I have no idea what though.

How do you feel about not knowing?  Can that be OK?

jukeboxhero

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 11:04:14 AM »

Ah. Then I wouldn't blame you.  I might do the same.  Unless you wanted to step into the "I contacted you and you never answered me so why are you contacting me now?" Too much drama. 

Yeah, and she's pulled so many stunts at this point, we are so far away from anything near good terms.

How do you feel about not knowing?  Can that be OK?

I'll be ok, we only saw each other a few times, so it's not like there was time for any real feelings to develop. There could be any number of reasons why she stopped communicating. Maybe the dating stuff was overwhelming for her. Maybe she's too embarrassed by her behavior on the last date. Maybe there's another guy in the picture. There's also the contributing factor of my friends. The one friend who initially exchanged numbers with her, and another friend messaged with her via instagram, so it's possible one of them contributed to this.
jukeboxhero

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 10:50:23 AM »

Update – She responded to my Thanksgiving text. Over 2 weeks of no contact. Her response was… odd. She said she had just gotten back that morning. Apparently she had traveled for the holiday, but didn’t take her phone? She said she was glad I had spent time with family, and she had hoped that I would. Sounds very warm and caring of her. She didn’t really say anything about how she spent the holiday though I had asked. I just responded that it was great to hear from her, and suggested we meetup for lunch during the week. We work 15 minutes away from each other, it should be easy to meetup. No response for the past couple days…

I neglected to mention before that she has physical health issues. I don’t know the details, but she has chronic pain and is lethargic. This must be a contributing factor to her behavior.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest