Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 14, 2024, 04:02:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daughter, 24 won’t pay own phone bill  (Read 682 times)
Crying inside

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Mother

« on: August 29, 2023, 02:08:45 PM »

Hi, my dd was dx with BPD in 2021.  She completed a year long outpatient DBT program in March and has improved significantly.. We still have our battles, but this one I don’t want her to win.  When I told her I’m taking her off the phone bill that my husband pays every month all hell broke loose.  She said she is saving her disability money (and small amount money from an online job) to pay car insurance when she buys a car.  This phone bill would be 84.00/month.  She doesn’t pay rent but buys her own food, clothes toiletries etc.   her disability is 820 a month.  She started a whole rant over text about why are we making her pay it when she isn’t like other 24 year olds:  I don’t want her using BPD as a crutch.   She’s texting me now saying the phone thing is bad timing bc she is worried about returning to school after a 2 year absence due to her mental issues.  She had to do a medical withdrawal from classes after her hospitalization in 2021.  Should I keep pushing the phone bill thing or drop it. I don’t see any reason why she can’t pay it.  She lives with us and we don’t ask to for a dime for utilities, or rent and we didn’t with her 4 siblings when they lived with us. but they all paid their own phone bill at 21.  How do I handle this without causing a blowup and saying something I’m going to regret?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Sancho
Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 05:59:41 PM »

Hi Crying inside
I've been thinking about this quite a lot. I'm not sure if you have already decided to hold the line on this (you say it is something you don't want her to win).

There has clearly been very good progress in how things are going and dd is taking responsibility for food, clothes etc.

The step back into college I think is enormous and dd would be constantly stressed having this at the back of her mind. I know just paying for the phone is not really a big thing, but anything is big for someone with bpd.

I can only say what I think I would do in this situation. I would tell dd that I understand that getting back into the college routine will be stressful and how about she take over the responsibility of her phone payment when she has had time to settle into that - say in xx months time.

Just a thought . . .
Crying inside

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 07:08:22 PM »

Thank you, Sancho for giving me a much need different perspective on this issue.  I’m going to follow your advice and let her settle into school and set a later date for her taking over her phone bill.    Thank you !
memom23

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 12:06:13 PM »

We are several years in to this BPD journey, and I have been played by my daughter too many times to count. She is articulate, compelling and effective in making her arguments (I've suggested law as a career more than once!) and has talked me into things I never should have agreed to.

In my humble opinion, your daughter is doing the same thing - telling you all the reasons why she can't. She can pay that bill. $84 is a small amount of money relative to the rent, utilities and other charges she is NOT paying. It's a great opportunity to hold the line and have her take responsibility for a charge that is uniquely hers, especially when you're simply enforcing a rule that applied to all your other kids. Paying is enabling - don't do it! My .02 cents only!
Crying inside

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 08:17:20 PM »

Thank you for replying.  I find my daughter tends to have a sense of entitlement at times.  Is that a BPD trait?
AcheyMom

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 02:32:28 PM »

It’s definitely a trait with my daughter.  She is 33 and still feels entitled to all of our resources.  Time, money and special treatment are what she expects regardless of how she treats us (basically awful).
EllieC

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 11:10:18 AM »

Yes entitlement is certainly a trait I notice too in my DD25. And every relationship that has blown up on her, boyfriends, friends, employers, sibling, etc, all end up telling her she is so entitled!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest