Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 20, 2024, 03:42:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contemplating divorce, but scared about custody  (Read 417 times)
meselfs

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: October 01, 2016, 10:17:39 PM »

Hello folks, and thanks in advance for reading about my disastrous situation! I'll try to be brief, but it is a long story one way or another.

Married for five years. She (wife) is nearing 40 and a naturalized immigrant, known her since childhood. She was an outgoing person and very comfortable traveling to the states solo, amiable to all.

We have a four year old daughter. Our marriage was mostly good, though with some problems, mostly related to my severe lack of social skills and her severe gatekeeper parenting.

A death in her non-nuclear family back home mid 2015 initiated a change of personality for her, which started with intense paranoia and mood changes, later developing into even more severe gatekeeping, alienation, and other things listed below. My therapist & I are at a loss concerning what it might be. BPD makes some sense, though also doesn't. The cases for:

• She has zero empathy to me or our kid. She places her needs ahead of everyone else's, and isn't aware of it.
• Nothing is her fault, everything is others'. She is guiltless and flawless.
• Extremely polarized thinking.
• Things I/others say are often twisted against me/them (this is a thing she's had since as long as I've known her).
• Previously, it was damn near impossible to keep her happy. However, I've basically stopped trying, and she's milder about some things.
• We have no constructive conversations, period. For a year my therapist has recommended reasoning tips, and books with more info, nothing works.
• She accuses me of saying or doing things that didn't happen, or exaggerates/rearranges facts.
• We have zero connection. However, she loves me and thinks the only thing wrong with us is my failure to love her back, which she often forgets, assuming I love her.
• She completely ignores any complaint I have about anything. If I budge enough, she'll find a workaround, but never hear me out, and revert as soon as I shut up.

Cases against:

• Despite difficult personality quirks (which I married. I don't want to sound judgmental here), things weren't disorderly till mid 2015, and it's really unusual for BPD to switch on after 30.
• Not impulsive to a fault. Takes her forever to make a decision. No promiscuity, no physical harm to anyone, no intense interests beyond being a mom.
• The relationship doesn't feel like an emotional rollercoaster, however I think I've just been dulled to not caring?
• There is little resilience in her personality. I read that BPD people are good at making others look nutty, this is not the case (though she tries).

So if you want the proper lingo, UstbxBPDw is the person I'm married to and parenting with. I'd rather say Ustbx?w honestly. BPD aside, here are some other specifics:

• Our relationship is fully dead as far as I'm concerned, and mostly just fine to her. She won't listen if I say something is wrong.
• I've been seeing a family therapist for a year now. She absolutely refuses to go, because she's fine. She's clearly said she would rather divorce than go.
• She is completely isolated. Become distant to her family/friends and hostile to everyone else. "Just the three of us" is something she often says.
• Wants our kid to be isolated with her. Doesn't allow her alone with anyone, ever, with the sole exception of preschool, which she h-a-t-e-s.
• Last year preschool was hard, this year it's unsustainable so far. She enters the classroom and monitors her child. Asked to leave, shuts her ears.
• She constantly monitors me and/or the kid. As I type, our daughter is playing with Legos and the wife is staring at us. I've told her this creeps me out, to no avail, and have given up.
• Inhibits her independence. Teachers her to be scared so that mom is always around. Spoonfeeds her boring, overcooked boiled meat/starch for almost every meal.
• Has aversions to the color red, the number six, anything left, anything sour, and other things.
• Segregates our toy collection based on what she purchased, and what I or anyone else did.
• A million absurd household rules I needn't describe.
• Except for over the top control over eating, she imparts no discipline at all, and shuts me down when I try.
• Manipulates her thinking.

My question, finally. What are my chances of favorable custody? Yes, I've basically decided to divorce at this point. The preschool situation is the bucket of lead that broke the camel's back, they're painfully considering asking us to stop attending. My kid's well-being is my number one concern in life, and she will grow up screwed up if it's only mom in her life. Mom wants to homeschool her, not let her have friends, avoid people in general, be scared of things, and be always attached. She is extremely focused on raising a kid in a home and nothing else. We have next to no electronic or other records of any behavior, preschool is the exception.

I'm good at not being a pushover. I stay at home a lot, not working very much, and take our kid to playdates or other outings despite her protests. I reject her attempts to control me and the kid as much as I can. I'm very active in our kid's life, and working on my social skills problem, loosely friends with several other parents now and friendly with the preschool staff. Our kid loves me and is well attached to me, however is about as attached to mom. They are close.

Bad custody terrifies me. What would you do? I've read cases here of a parent showing clear abuse getting custody. Do I have a strong case? I'm so scared
Dontknow88

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 10:39:14 PM »

Hello!   

Ok I'll start of with only a lawyer can tell you your chances you should really talk to one if you plan to part ways. If all what you are saying is true judges like to see hard evidence they do not like the whole "take your word for it" thing.  You have to back up why you think she is an unfit mother. Also ask your therapist for advice, maybe he/she can help you. (My therapist is willing to testify against my ex if need be).

If I read correctly you do most of the work with your child? The courts will take that into consideration. (please be advised this is not legal advice I can give that, I just had my experience with that)

You are right sometimes the wrong parent gets custody, just make sure you can back up your evidence.

I don't mean to worry you but it would never get off my mind if I don't  get this off my chest. In a situation like this is the best time for a person with BPD can get very  vindictive and try their best to scare you into not going for custody (mostly because a part of them knows they will lose or has that little of faith in them self or both). depending on the person they will try everything to sabotage your chances and even their chances (kind of the whole if I can't have them you can't). Please get all your evidence in order and talk to a lawyer firstly.

I can't say if you have a chance to not share a  lawyer can help you out with an answer

I wish you all the best

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 03:32:50 PM »

Welcome and hello Smiling (click to insert in post)

She may be BPD in addition to something else. I have 3 people in my life with BPD and all present in very different ways. It's possible, too, that BPD looks a little different given her country of origin and cultural norms.

For a BPD dx, there only needs to be 5 of 9 criteria and that adds up to a dizzying number of combinations. Plus, if there are comorbid diagnoses, then the presentation of a PD looks even more complex. My SO's D19 is bipolar II and BPD, plus some dependent personality disorder. She is not impulsive to a fault and does not self harm (that we know of), and is what some refer to as a "quiet borderline," which strange to say, I find harder to cope with than my externally raging substance abusing N/BPD ex husband. At least with him, the abuse was out of the box.

About the custody issue: it's worth getting several consultations with lawyers -- you don't have to retain them to ask preliminary questions. Sometimes, this can be relatively affordable -- $100 for 30 minutes (depending on where you live). Talk to several lawyers if you can, and go in with a set of questions and, if you can, take someone with you who will write down notes. Or, if you talk to the lawyer on the phone, record the conversation so you can play it back and make notes. It's amazing how quickly it is to get turned around in these conversations!

While the law is supposed to be black/white, there are some lawyers who will give you pie in the sky strategies while others will have no strategies, and the trick is to find someone who listens to your goals and will develop a strategy that will increase your odds. If you live in a 50/50 state, for example, and you want full custody, you might need to develop a strategy before the first settlement/hearing, and one for after. In cases where it is hard for a judge to determine harm to the child, court will often start watching behavior once the clock starts.

Whatever you do, start documenting. If the preschool finds your wife's behaviors problematic, find out exactly why. They may find her too difficult to deal with, and that will actually help you.

Something to keep in mind -- not all people with BPD are high conflict, although all high conflict people (HCPs) have some kind of personality disorder. You may want to pick up a copy of Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing a BPD/NPD Spouse by Bill Eddy.

Lesson 2 for this board also has some good material (especially the first two), as well as Lesson 3.

I hope that helps. Sorry for the fire hose of information. It takes time to figure out how your individual situation will play out in your state, with your lawyer's strategy. Each variable can have a huge impact, not to mention your own mental state as you try to remain stable in the rocky waters of a high-conflict divorce.   Sometimes people here self-sabotage because their guilt gets the best of them, or they succumb to codependent tendencies (avoiding conflict) to their peril.

Whatever you decide to do, we are here to walk with you.

LnL

Breathe.
meselfs

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 12:44:26 PM »

Thank you guys! I was unsure if posting would bring about anything beyond "get a lawyer" (not that it isn't a good idea), however some of that reading material is just what I needed. I heard of both the eggshells book and the HCP one, somehow I missed "Splitting", it's just what I needed. Flipping through the lessons too. Thanks!
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 12:54:46 PM »

Thank you guys! I was unsure if posting would bring about anything beyond "get a lawyer" (not that it isn't a good idea), however some of that reading material is just what I needed. I heard of both the eggshells book and the HCP one, somehow I missed "Splitting", it's just what I needed. Flipping through the lessons too. Thanks!

Bill Eddy also has a book called ":)on't Alienate the Kids" that is worth reading.

You will read a lot of vicious stuff online about pwBPD, and if you are deeply hurt, it can be tempting to indulge. However, if you have a child, it's very important to understand the third way -- this requires a lot of effort on your part, not only to understand BPD, but to understand yourself, and to figure out a way between door mat and machete as you disentangle.

It's not uncommon for kids with BPD parents to inherit traits, or at least sensitive genotype predispositions, and skills you can apply to your wife will likely work with your child. For example, read everything, and I mean everything! you can about validation. Lesson 5 on the Coparenting board is a good place to start.

Because there are two battles. One is the battle for custody. The other is for the heart of your child. Divorce will likely trigger a massive reaction in your ex -- in order to preserve a sense of herself as "good," she will need to see you as completely "black," and her daughter, being an extension of mom's sense of self, will be pulled into that black hole.

Read what Dr. Craig Childress has written about parental alienation -- he has a new book that just came out. This will help you understand what he calls the characterological underpinnings of BPD and parental alienation.

The more you know in advance of throwing the divorce bomb, the better prepared you will be. Being one step ahead, not only in tactics but in understanding of BPD, can make a lot of difference in how your case goes.

I took a year to plan -- really plan -- before I left. My ex is a formal trial attorney and while it took me 3-4 years, I ended up with full custody. Stay focused on what you think is best for your child (which may include teaching her skills to individuate from her mom, something you will have to learn to the point you can pass it along).

Smiling (click to insert in post)

LnL

Breathe.
meselfs

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 12:18:23 PM »

Man, I don't understand what drives your selfless stream of valuable info, but I sure appreciate. 3 - 4 years, ouch. I'll remember to check out the rest of your reading suggestions once I'm done, I'm having trouble putting Splitting down for now.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 12:41:53 PM »

Man, I don't understand what drives your selfless stream of valuable info, but I sure appreciate.

Smiling (click to insert in post)

I was totally alone in a sea of fear and legal panic, on the verge of falling apart when I found this place.

Matt, a former member here, and ForeverDad, and david, plus countless others pulled me through the darkest place I've ever been.

I promised to pay it forward. People here can really make a difference in how your case goes, and how your child manages, not to mention your own mental health.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest