Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 03, 2024, 09:11:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intense relationship  (Read 389 times)
Raspberry

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: May 18, 2016, 02:39:59 PM »

Hello

I actually can't believe that I am here! 8 weeks ago I met a guy on Instagram and we instantly hit it off! We messaged continuously for 4 weks before having a first date which was fantastic! It wasnt at all awkward and felt like we had known each other for years. Never before have I felt so special and loved and a relationship quickly progressed. In the last few weeks I have had him to stay with me and we have been so comfortable with each other that I have feel like I have been walking on cloud 9. Out of the blue on Monday evening he came in crying saying that he couldn't do this anymore and he needed to go home immediately. I demanded the truth from him and he said he just wasn't ready for a relationship. I feel hurt, manipulated and a fool. I don't know whether all the feelings he expressed for me were just lies. I feel gutted. Since then he has texted me apologising, saying that he is heartbroken and he has never felt so low and saying that hevstill have strong feelings for me. I wish hed been more honest with me aboutbhis illness beforevthis happened as he is high functioning. His head is obviously in a really bad place and I understand that! I have my own mental health issues and he promised hed never hurt me the way I have been in the past.

I've suggested that no contact will be better but at the same time I am absolutely gutted . I was really was starting to fall in love with him and spending my time with him was just the best feeling as I felt safe and secure. This evening on Instagram earlier he posted something saying heel was to feeling of heart broken and I am too   I know I should probably move on but it's so difficult! It was just an illness that loved me. I miss telling each other about ouyr days so much.

Any advice would be appreciate. I also suffer from mental health problems (low mood and eating disorder ) thank you x

schwing
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 03:33:33 PM »

Hi raspberry* and welcome,

... .In the last few weeks I have had him to stay with me and we have been so comfortable with each other that I have feel like I have been walking on cloud 9. Out of the blue on Monday evening he came in crying saying that he couldn't do this anymore and he needed to go home immediately. I demanded the truth from him and he said he just wasn't ready for a relationship. I feel hurt, manipulated and a fool. I don't know whether all the feelings he expressed for me were just lies.

I think a helpful way to reflect on your experience is to consider that the feelings he expressed were real... .but.  But people with BPD (pwBPD) have a disorder which affects the way they attach to other people.  My understanding is that for pwBPD whenever they develop feelings of intimacy and attachment, they simultaneously trigger their fear of abandonment.  This is perhaps because the source of their fear of abandonment is a deep abandonment trauma they experienced in early development.  Such that at the same time that he was starting to develop intimate feelings towards you (which takes time to develop... .it is absent in the early stage of the relationship)... .this is why he could no longer handle the feelings.

What makes it difficult for pwBPD to face this quality in themselves is that all their defense mechanisms divert their attention elsewhere (i.e., it is the other person... .I just need to find the "right" person... .etc... ) and not inwards.

I feel gutted. Since then he has texted me apologising, saying that he is heartbroken and he has never felt so low and saying that hevstill have strong feelings for me. I wish hed been more honest with me aboutbhis illness beforevthis happened as he is high functioning. His head is obviously in a really bad place and I understand that! I have my own mental health issues and he promised hed never hurt me the way I have been in the past.

High functioning or not, I think there is a good chance he is in denial.  He just think he's "not ready" for a relationship.  Well I believe if he were honest with himself, he would admit that he's *never* been ready for a relationship.  And yet he keeps looking for the "right" relationship.

I've suggested that no contact will be better but at the same time I am absolutely gutted . I was really was starting to fall in love with him and spending my time with him was just the best feeling as I felt safe and secure. This evening on Instagram earlier he posted something saying heel was to feeling of heart broken and I am too   I know I should probably move on but it's so difficult! It was just an illness that loved me. I miss telling each other about ouyr days so much.

I don't think you need to think of him as "an illness that loved" you.  But rather he is like an alcoholic who has yet to come to terms with his addiction.  Only his addiction is not with alcohol but rather with his broken nature when it comes to intimate relationships.  If/when he ever comes to term with this issues, maybe he can face it.  But for now I think he is still in denial.  Which is why you may need to watch out when his feelings of intimacy towards you diminishes so that he no longer experiences his fear of abandonment.  Then, he will want to "start again."  The thing is, he will only repeat his experience and very likely hurt you again.  If you let him.

Hope some of this helps.

Best wishes, Schwing

Sadly

Relationship status: Very Single

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 06:15:48 AM »

Hi Rasberry, hope I am not wrong to say this but please keep reading everything you can on here. You will find cloud 9 has a million holes to fall through, made by the feet of those on these boards. It is not unique at all, only to all of us who have fallen into a relationship with a person with BPD. Nearly starting to fall in love is a far better place to be than actually being in love. Back peddle whilst you still can, save yourself from the deepest grief you can imagine, and if you can't then know that you are in the right place. Am not trying to be negative, to me it's realism.  Good luck xx

Never let someone be your priority whilst you remain their option
married21years

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 08:31:45 AM »

you had a lucky escape! 
Sadly

Relationship status: Very Single

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 09:16:40 AM »

Not yet married 21yrs, but the escape route still exists for her, the door is not closed yet. May it be taken before the only escape is tunnelling out of the darkest pit. x

Never let someone be your priority whilst you remain their option
Lucky Jim

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 09:41:48 AM »

Hey raspberry, Welcome!  What makes you think that your xBF has BPD?  LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Raspberry

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 02:05:01 PM »

Hey raspberry, Welcome!  What makes you think that your xBF has BPD?  LuckyJim

He's opened up and told me. He is on lots of meds and has a cpn.

Thank you for all the replies. He is still texting me intense stuff but I've asked for a bit of time and space and just to talk about random carp again. I don't want to give up on us, I want to supoort him but I just want to understand. My head and heart are utterly torn as I knownnhe didn't mean to hurt me and we still care deeply for each other. It is a long distancr relationship as we live three hours apart and I think we just need to take a step back and start again really.

ive as me him to stop with the intense messages and just talk about our days instesd.

I am probablyy being a fool and I should get out when I still can but it's not that easy   x x
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 07:51:47 AM »

I don't know whether all the feelings he expressed for me were just lies.  

Hey, I'm glad you have found us.  You have a lot to learn if you are interested in continuing this r/s.

You have gotten some good replies already.  I think "stepping back" is a good thing.  :)on't get in deep fast.  Great job pushing away on the desire to "tell all" and stick with lighter stuff.  That is fantastic!

Now, about what I quoted.  

pwBPD suffer from intense, but flighty emotions.  That is why validation is so important.  It helps calm and stabilize their emotions.

So, think of is this way.  He felt what he expressed to you at that moment.  It was sincere.  Then he felt ashamed and scared.  That was real also.

Now imagine you felt that way, but put it on steroids, or "times 10".  You probably can get an idea of what they experience.

Keep the communication light, short and periodic.  Not several times a day.  Learn all you can about BPD.

Put a thing on your calendar for a couple weeks from now.  Use that day as a time to be deliberate about evaluating your r/s and what you have learned about pwBPD and if you should remain in the r/s for now.

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest