Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 08, 2024, 04:40:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I feel like Ive failed  (Read 337 times)
Mightyhammers

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 08, 2013, 09:53:12 AM »

I don’t know why Ive suddenly had this feeling right now, but I have an overwhelming feeling of failure in relation to my time with her. I keep going over and over in my mind that if I was more of a man I wouldn’t have stood for her s**t and let her get away with her giving me the silent treatment, her outbursts of anger and her picking holes in me – especially over the last few weeks that we were together. Its supposed to be getting easier as it goes along, but I keep getting these horrible waves going over me. Its her birthday on Thursday and I just know Im going to get these pangs of pain, I just hope it comes and goes without any drama.
HarmKrakow

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 10:01:55 AM »

I don’t know why Ive suddenly had this feeling right now, but I have an overwhelming feeling of failure in relation to my time with her. I keep going over and over in my mind that if I was more of a man I wouldn’t have stood for her s**t and let her get away with her giving me the silent treatment, her outbursts of anger and her picking holes in me – especially over the last few weeks that we were together. Its supposed to be getting easier as it goes along, but I keep getting these horrible waves going over me. Its her birthday on Thursday and I just know Im going to get these pangs of pain, I just hope it comes and goes without any drama.

Mate... .

We can all relate to this.

We all thought we

1) could save her

2) thought love would prevail

3) cling to little words and therefore continued to allow them to BS with us

4) if we keep fighting we could turn it around while keep allowing them to smear us, or rage at us, or just lie at us, or act like idiots ... .

5) if we tried harder, stood up for ourselves and showed them who were really were ... . maybe ... . maybe they wanted us back ... .

You can see it as a big oil tanker. When there is no captain on the boat, it will just steer in 1 direction. Whether you shout, go wash it, or try to stop the engines... . when such a thing is in motion ... . it just doesn't stop... .

Whatever we tried... .

Why you have those feelings? Why? Mate ... . because after a break up of a BPD relationship, the NON does not have closure. Having no closure of a relationship ... . which on the contrast of a normal relationship was 200x times more intense, it's 200x times the pain ... . WITH NO CLOSURE! ... . so your head thinks ... .

Hold on a minute ... . what just happened? I want back to that good ol' feeling.

theboro504

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 10:32:09 AM »

Harm is dead on here.

I would add that our ability to "own" a situation and take some responsibility, in my opinion, is the character trait they target and somehow, they know it when they see it.

Those thoughts will pass.  Ride it out.
slimmiller

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »

Easy on yourself! I too felt that for a long time but truth is they choose us not because we are 'Schmucks' and pushovers. That we are not! We are a compassionate, empathetic and very caring guys (and gals)  You are correct in the fact that they are very selective in who they choose to get with and then abuse. We are capable of deep real feelings which they are too but for them its temporary. For us it can be REAL. Mine has proven that by already being in her second 'I have never felt this way about anyone' relationship since me and they are already fighting and the latest iteration is less then four month old. Its sad in a sense

Hang in there. Focus on something, anything to take your mind off of her.

I still struggle at times having been the footstool and the chump but truth is, as long as we feel that way, we are still in their sick grasp. If they have us in that position, they are still winning
HarmKrakow

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 10:57:18 AM »

And btw, as noted 2 posts above this one, they don't take responsibility for that they have done. They simply 'let the dishes' drop because they can't be bothered anymore to continue cleaning and go outside and play.

They are not adults (only the exterior)
MysticK

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:12:48 AM »

I think it's part of the grieving process. It came out of the blue and, not being used to failure, the thought hit me hard. But then a good friend said to me: Failure is not walking away from a relationship that isn't working. Failure is staying in a relationship that isn't working.

The poster who said that we overcompensate for the BPD by being more responsible and owning more and taking it on is absolutely right. It makes us vulnerable to people who are looking to pass the buck to the stolid worker bees among us.

Hold your head high. You have succeeded in moving on with your life! That is, indeed, a success. Don't fight the grieving. Let it in and keep moving.
Mightyhammers

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »

Failure is not walking away from a relationship that isn't working. Failure is staying in a relationship that isn't working.

great quote
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest