Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 06, 2024, 05:42:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Court access to T notes  (Read 354 times)
lizzie458

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: ex spouse

« on: August 22, 2015, 02:00:49 PM »

I just read in the motion for parenting time evaluation that the evaluator shall have access to notes from prior counselors. Is that correct? The T who dx'd B/NPDstbexh  told me weeks ago that because she saw both of us individually and together that she was legally bound to not say anything to the court, otherwise she could be sued by either one of us. But can the evaluator get her notes, since it's not directly going to the court, rather it's just one piece of info going into a complex report?  Also, she told me she didn't write anything in her notes about the disorder, my guess is because she didn't want to sink BPDh, who is in the mental health field.  Is the evaluator allowed to have a conversation with her? We have another T in our new town who doesn't write anything in her notes because she doesn't think it's insurance's business, and apparently that's the only reason she keeps notes (because insurance requires them sometimes).  I'm really hoping he evaluator is authorized to speak with our therapists. That would be a huge win for our kids.

Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before. You can fight it, you can do nothing but scream about what you've lost, or you can accept that and try to put together something that's good.

― Elizabeth Edwards
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:59:38 AM »

It sounds like maybe the T is conflating ethics and legal obligations? Where I live, courts can subpoena a therapist, and then they are obligated to participate.

Also, the T should have insurance in the event there is a lawsuit. My T was sued twice by people with BPD, and both times, they gave her advance warning, so T increased her insurance 

Sometimes these things work in different ways depending on where you live. My lawyer filed a subpoena for my ex's T notes (although not an MC). We also filed a motion for N/BPDx to be evaluated by a forensic psychiatrist, and those notes were used in court. With S14's T, she made us sign a waiver so that she would work with us under the condition she was not called to court (I think there is a different law when it comes to child Ts), but the parenting coordinator was allowed to talk to her and use those notes as part of her testimony in court, which she did.

Avvo.com is also a free resource where you could post this question. It sounds like you are trying to figure out a loop hole -- the T is understandably trying to protect herself, so best to ask an L about what you can do.

Breathe.
Thunderstruck

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 11:49:16 AM »

If it says in the court order that the CE is allowed access then the CE should be able to take that order to the T and get access. If the T wouldn't hand them over then you could probably get a subpoena.

Remember that a diagnosis of a mental disorder doesn't necessarily make a parent a bad parent. You still need to show how the mental disorder negatively impacts the kids.

"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength."

"The sun shines and warms and lights us and we have no curiosity to know why this is so. But we ask the reason of all evil, of pain, and hunger, and mosquitos and silly people." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »

While naming a disorder may help explain the behaviors, in family court it is the behaviors and behavior patterns that carry the day.  Most here never had a diagnosis for their ex's behaviors.

Part of the reason is that generally the ex refuses to be in counseling or therapy.  Courts don't see us as neutral and trained observers.  I guess they don't want us to 'play doctor'?

Another part can be that even the custody evaluators may not want make a clinical diagnosis.  Or aren't qualified to do so.  Many evaluators order respected tests such as the MMPI-2 but don't make a diagnosis.  I recall my CE told me in the first session that he wasn't there to diagnose but rather to make recommendations on custody to the court.  Despite those limits, the initial report was a solid one, summarizing, "Mother cannot share 'her' child but Father can... ."

Another part is that a diagnosis does not mean there are 'actionable' behaviors.  For example, consider an alcoholic.  Abstinence from alcohol or moderate use does not mean a person stops being an alcoholic.  It is the behaviors that put parenting at risk.  If the person drinks while not parenting, that may not be actionable.  If the person drinks and drives with the children, that probably is actionable.  While a diagnosis sounds bad, court is more likely to make decisions based on how behaviors actually impact the parenting, not so much the potential risks.

Another aspect to ponder is that courts are inclined to largely ignore the poor adult behaviors and give more focus to the poor parenting behaviors.  It is wise to do likewise and give emphasis to the poor parenting behaviors, the ones which would or could affect the children.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest