Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 19, 2024, 03:49:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Part 6 step parenting uBPD SD22 with suicidal ideation  (Read 1616 times)
PeaceMom

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2019, 05:43:43 PM »

I didn’t even know you guys were over here in another thread discussing things so relevant in my life. Thanks Wendy for pointing this out. I’ve looked into WRAP and learned about it thru “It Takes a Family” by Debra Jay. Her approach is adopted by most of the big hitters in the substance abuse world, like Betty Ford.  Sorry that the class didn’t work, LNL. You can absolutely create a WRAP with a T. Would SD be willing to do that?
They create something similar with any discharge from a psych ward.

Also, Wendy, I just read a few days ago about the 988 for suicide hotline-brilliant! NAMI does get some stuff right.

Seems like this part of the blog goes a bit more in-depth. I’ll stick around and learn from you all.
Bluemoon23

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: living apart

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2019, 01:03:19 PM »

@wendy OMG thank you so much! I just read both the articles and went to the author's site and ordered greeting cards for those that struggle with mental illness.

Amazing resource and very glad to have found it.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2019, 09:34:55 AM »

You can absolutely create a WRAP with a T. Would SD be willing to do that?

This is my conundrum, PeaceMom. I started the thread over here because I'm the step mom, and given our blended family dynamics, I'm trying to figure out how to convey my concerns through H.

Would she do a WRAP with a T? I think so. But I can't call her T, and H has his own views on what's happening that differ from mine. He's her dad.

When I went to the class for those two days, it struck me that he is focused on what she's doing that's positive. I am focusing on the gaps. The gaps seem significant to me. Part of the problem, too, is that H deals with crisis all day long. So it's not like he doesn't understand crisis. How do you tell a very intelligent, super capable alpha male with three decades of crisis management that he has a blind spot when it comes to his kid?

The same kid who would like nothing better than to have me out of the picture? And the same kid who I spent three summers singling out for her odd behaviors? I am going into this with some mistakes hanging over my head. The more H turned down my volume, the louder I tried to speak. That's not a place with a ton of trust.

When I talked to my T, the same one who started ringing this bell, her feedback was to lay low for now because H's walls are up. Look for openings, and let things cool. He went to the class and we made a joint decision it wasn't quite the right fit. We now have resources and I am telling him what I'm reading, and he listens. I can get in about five paragraphs every third night or so and then we take a break and try to unwind.

Meanwhile, there is movement with S18 and getting him diagnosed for ASD. I don't discuss his issues as much here but he's a pretty big priority and I'm experiencing a version of what H is going through, where it's tough to allow someone else into this parent-child space when there has been trauma.

SD22 is an adult, she lives 5 hours from here, has a job, she is doing many pro-active things to take care of herself, she has two Ts and a psychiatrist, has a live-in BF, and her dad does do many positive things in supporting her. I can't lose sight of those positives, while also acknowledging that if this were someone else's child, H and I would be in full agreement that she needs a full work up and a re-diagnosis, not to mention a WRAP.

I'm regrouping with SD22, and trying to get S18 up and launched, sorting out his sensitive issues. My plan for now is to see what happens with us moving. If we do, I know there will be a crisis. H is pushing for the move, so if this gets serious, then I'm going to insist we have a safety plan in place before we announce the move. That's all I've got for now  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

Breathe.
worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2019, 09:49:05 AM »

H is pushing for the move, so if this gets serious, then I'm going to insist we have a safety plan in place before we announce the move.

I think this is crucial, and may be the best way to get the plan done.
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2019, 10:08:06 AM »

If walls are up, likely good to stop assaulting the walls.  Conserve strength and prepare.

All that being said, at some point (especially with move) he will have to let down the walls and engage.

At that point do not shy away from why you are focusing on the "gaps" (the negative)

Death is impossible to overcome

If he puts the walls back up..that's on him. 

It does nobody (him included) any good to ignore reality.

Thoughts?

Best,

FF

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2019, 10:58:36 AM »

worriedStepmom, I agree. H is most motivated when there's a lot of activity. I also think he's eager to move right now because he senses SD22 is relatively stable. I can't shake this feeling that he wants to get away before a shoe drops.

Quote from: formflier link=topic=339482.msg13078924#msg13078924 date=1569596886[/quote
If he puts the walls back up..that's on him. 

It does nobody (him included) any good to ignore reality.

Exactly. I can see him arranging walls so that I agree to ignore this elephant. I'm not spending as much effort pointing the elephant out, but I'm also not ignoring it either. We're now at the stage where he agrees there is an elephant in the room, he just wants to pretend it isn't. And he wants me to pretend too. When he is unguarded, he is remarkably aware so I know he's thinking and paying attention. It's not easy to be cup half full and half empty at the same time.

I've printed out the crisis management form and filled in some of the items. He has a brutal week coming up so I'm laying low until things quiet down for him, and scheduling lots of fun things for us to do.

Breathe.
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2019, 01:37:11 PM »

I've printed out the crisis management form and filled in some of the items. He has a brutal week coming up so I'm laying low until things quiet down for him, and scheduling lots of fun things for us to do.

So..your hubby is in "crisis management" as a profession.   I would assume he is familiar and comfortable talking about "risk management" which is more accurate about what you need to do.

I would say crisis is when she is about to act.  Risk management is about handling/evaluating all of the things under the surface that might "move her" to act.

This is a bit of a stretch, but it's a very "unemotional process" and 5 step procedure for looking at "risk".

https://youtu.be/-YHBQAxY_NE

It would seem to me that anything you can do that enables discussion while keeping emotion low or out of it, is helpful for your cause.

Thoughts?

Best,

FF

Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2020, 10:07:25 AM »

Staff only

This thread reached the post limit and has been locked.  The discussion continues here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=343259.msg13101738#msg13101738

Thank you.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest