Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 09:59:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any experiences with online therapy services?  (Read 367 times)
Wornout12
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 20, 2017, 08:25:33 PM »

I'm at a place where I realize I need some therapy. I don't have health insurance because of cost, and therapy without insurance also is a fortune. I just realize though I need to talk to someone. I've been doing some research about online therapy because it seems to be a lot more affordable. I saw a few different companies and I was thinking about trying one called BetterHelp. I read a review the other day here, and it sounds really affordable. Does anyone have experience with BetterHelp and the 'unlimited therapist access' thing?
www.theordinarylife.com/betterhelp-review-we-tried-online-therapy-but-does-it-help-results-inside/

Thanks any input is much appreciated.
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 10:56:36 PM »

Welcome Wornout12:   
I'm sorry that you are having a hard time, but I'm glad that you are reaching out for help.  I haven't tried an online therapist, but I've heard where a couple of members have used it or someone in their family has. 

In my opinion, it wouldn't be much different than going to someone's office.  The commute would be a lot better.  I looked at your link and read a bit about the service you are considering.  Realistically, you won't likely be able to talk to someone whenever you want, because if everyone called whenever they wanted, it would be a bit chaotic with long waits.

One thing to check on, is how much it would cost you if you had a weekly appt. for a specific amount of time.  I believe the common session time, when you go to someone's office is 50 minutes, but there can be variables. 

It could be worth a try. There are even some physician services online these days. If it doesn't work out, and you read all the fine print, then you will know what happens when you cancel.  If you use a credit card, as opposed to a debit card, you will be better off payment wise.

Some things to ask the therapist:
  • What therapy style do you use?
  • Do you specialize in treating certain things?
  • What are your goals
  • What's your job history

You may want someone who has had experience with personality disorders.  If that is the case, then you should state that.  If you aren't familiar with some common styles of therapy, you might want to do an Internet search.  The old style of psychoanalysis still exists.  There are a couple of interactive styles that are common, CBT and ACT.

You might be interested in reading a couple of books. "Feeling Good", by David D. Burns, MD is reviewed in the Learning Center, Book Section on this website.  My therapist recommended the The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris. I found that I could access some online material to assist with participating in some exercises suggested in The Happiness Trap.

Let us know if you sign up for the online therapy and how it goes for you. Some of the links below might be helpful to you for future reference, as you move forward on your journey of coping and healing:

EXERCISES - FROM BOOK" THE HAPPINESS TRAP"
https://www.thehappinesstrap.com/free_resources

IMPROVE THE MOMENT WORKSHEET
www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/improve_the_moment_worksheet.html

PANIC LIST
www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/panic_list.html

12 minute Thought Stream Meditation with Dr. Mike Dow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Lo5tUXkVI

Breathing: Three Exercises - Dr. Weil
www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00521/three-breathing-exercises.html

Finding Alternative Thoughts
www.dbtselfhelp.com/FindingAlternativeThoughts.pdf

MINDFULNESS EXERCISE - FROM BOOK" HAPPINESS TRAP"
https://www.thehappinesstrap.com/upimages/Informal_Mindfulness_Exercises.pdf
HappyChappy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 04:09:32 AM »

Hi

I've used telephone therapy, which is slightly cheaper than in person. It did the job. But it was covered by insurance, so fixed to 8 sessions and very focused. The only downside is if you forgot your phone appointment, or you were engaged on the phone, you still had to pay for it (or the insurance still had to). I would be interested in your review of online therapy, if you don't mind sharing.

Smiling (click to insert in post)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. Wilde.
HappyChappy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 05:29:51 AM »

Hi Worenout12,

Just found a link to the pros an cons of online counselling:

www.au.professionals.reachout.com/online-counselling-pros-and-cons

Hope that helps.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. Wilde.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest