Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 12:07:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Went to visit her at the psych hospital and all we did is fight  (Read 346 times)
gary seven

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 13, 2014, 05:44:02 PM »

Another depressing day here .

First she threatened to have any further ect unless I came today for visiting hours. 

So, trying to follow the P's advice from last week, I go.  All we do is fight.  She complains about every inch of the place, all the people, the color of the walls, etc.  And she thinks she has every right to complain about it.

She thinks if she stays home in bed every day and ignore the kids then that's ok.  Until this current medication (#33, Geodon) "stops working."

I don't think that's such a good example for the kids.

I am struggling.   Can't find after school drivers for the kids.  Will look into the school bus route. And probably have to go on unpaid leave from work, just at the time I wanted to make a good transition from the current location to the next office.

I will go home now (I am at work) and try to discuss this with her folks who are scheduled to leave Wednesday.

Me and the kids deserve better.
GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 07:48:34 PM »

Gary does her shrink advise the visits as a way to stay in the relationship for now?

gary seven

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:09:37 AM »

GM:

No one is giving me direction about visiting her or not visiting her.  I feel all alone having to make these decisions , and putting up with her ultimatums.

Wearing the husband hat it seems cruel not to go, wearing the Non hat it's the last place I want to be.

GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »

Do you guys have a couples therapist on top of her therapists?   Do you have your own therapist?  It's no small matter when your spouse is in an inpatient in a mental hospital and it's a lot to deal with.

gary seven

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 02:51:42 PM »

Do you guys have a couples therapist on top of her therapists?   :)o you have your own therapist?  It's no small matter when your spouse is in an inpatient in a mental hospital and it's a lot to deal with.

GM:  We tried couples therapy last fall and all she did was blame me for everything. This is her fourth inpatient program since May.

I have started with a new T, abut can only afford once every two weeks.  I tried the Interlibrary Loan for the book "High Conflict Couples," but the neighboring county only gave me 7 days to read it and would not consider an extention.  So I read 15 pages of it.

Her anger and blame and cycling have really prevented any meaningful work to be done.  I am taking my oldest s9 to his T on Thursday , because he is very affected and concerned about me.  I am trying to reassure him we won't have to live off food stamps.  It breaks my heart when he wants to give me money for food.  We are doing ok, it's just a tight budget.

The "next place" for my wife is a residential place that has costs of private funded of up to 40k.  Insurance can cover some of it, but I would have to go back to the family for financial aid. 

I think I should ask the family for financial aid for my kids so they can go to summer camp ( the oldest is going to sleep away camp), and an afterschool sitter.  And a separate apartment for my spouse.  Away from us.

I am open to other suggestions.  I can't think of much else , and need to stop feeling sorry for myself.
Waddams

Relationship status: Living single, dating wonderful woman now

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 03:19:13 PM »

Excerpt
I think I should ask the family for financial aid for my kids so they can go to summer camp ( the oldest is going to sleep away camp), and an afterschool sitter.  And a separate apartment for my spouse.  Away from us.

I am open to other suggestions.  I can't think of much else , and need to stop feeling sorry for myself.

Don't forget to find some way to take care of you too.  I know it's hard to find time, and then you feel bad about taking the time and not using it on the kids.  But you can't take care of anyone else if you can't take care of you first.  You kids will benefit from a healthier you.

Regarding her conduct at the visits, would going, but upon the visit turning into a negative experience, would you be able to just cut it short and leave?  Just tell her that while you want to be supportive of her healing and know things are hard for her, it doesn't justify having to sit there and bear the brunt of her abuse.  Maybe even tell her that her behavior is what has her in the inpatient facility to begin with.  Then leave with a comment that you will be back to check on her again and hope to have a more pleasant visit next time.

She'll need to experience someone not staying in her line of fire, setting healthy boundaries, and yet not outright abandoning her and continuing to be show love towards her before she figures out she needs to make a change in herself.

It does sound like a separate residence for her in the future might also be a good idea.  Particularly if she can combine that with some kind of job and self sufficiency and have success at it.  She's gotta learn to be a grown up on her own.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 04:48:42 PM »

Excerpt
First she threatened to have any further ect unless I came today for visiting hours.  

She complains about every inch of the place, all the people, the color of the walls, etc.  And she thinks she has every right to complain about it.

She *does* have every right to complain. Electro shock therapy for a Borderline patient? I hope you know that's a misappropriation.

But wait, your Wife has been diagnosed with a brain chemistry imbalance, not Borderline personality disorder.

Professionally your Wife was diagnosed as bi-polar. She is on medication to level her imbalance and has undergone shock treatments in the past. This was not for BPD but your Wife now claims that the shock treatments (ECT) have caused BPD. Yet with all the professionals around her, not one has confirmed she has Borderline Personality disorder. They have confirmed bi-polar.

It's possible that there was a misdiagnosis, which is really sad.

That's because ECT will not help with BPD. ECT doesn't change a person's belief system, which is what BPD is, except to create dependency on external systems. Having a score of medical workers say that you are defective and you need electro convulsive shock treatments would add to the persecution complex of *anyone,* most especially someone with Borderline personality disorder. It's a barbaric way of treating someone as it kills parts of the brain, specifically those concerning memory.

Bi-polar and uni-polar are different diagnoses than BPD. Completely different worlds. Using electro-shock on a person with BPD who is depressed would further the bondage she feels and deeply entrench the depression and helplessness. It's just not a sound prescription for someone's distorted perceptions that already revolve around learned helplessness. With bi-polar, you are dealing with the brain, not personality.

If your Wife has BPD, she does not need a chemical lobotomy or electro-convulsive shock treatment to address the acting out behaviors and depression. The acting out behaviors and depression are symptoms of arrested development. You don't give electro-shock for arrested development, you try to work through and elevate the development by confronting the faulty reasoning that limits their upward mobility. You don't fry their brain. ECT furthers despair and loneliness and defectiveness. Something your Wife is likely feeling right now and once released from this formal hell, may become even worse.

She needs an advocate right now. She needs treatment for PTSD, she needs talk therapy. She needs someone to LISTEN. She needs help.

She has *every* right to complain if she has BPD and it's been misdiagnosed as bi-polar. If she is bi-polar, I would suggest finding a forum that deals specifically with mood disorders. BPD is not a mood disorder, it is a pervasive belief of distorted perceptions.

I would suggest finding a forum that understands bi-polar and begin your questioning there. The two diagnosis are often horribly confused with the other but are as different as night and day. Good luck and I hope you figure it out. Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest