Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 07:00:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wife feels that my prior appeasement was dishonesty  (Read 1869 times)
AppeaseNoMore

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: March 30, 2024, 03:33:57 AM »

Hi all,
I feel that my wife has many BP tendencies (she doesn't agree). She's at the high-functioning end, with no self-harm or similar destructive behaviours. But I think she puts me on a pedestal a lot of the time, and then criticises me harshly at other times, and when she gets upset about something she is so sure that she is 100% right that in the end I can see no way forward other than just to apologise for my role in the conflict and overlook hers. She will remain angry until it is resolved (however long that takes) and discussing the issue never actually gets anywhere. While it rankles me to have to offer these one-sided apologies, I felt that it wasn't a big problem as long as it was occasional (big blowups maybe once per year -- of course plenty of criticism in between the big blowups).

Recently the blowups have become far more frequent. She says it's because she's woken up to my lack of care for her, so now she's super alert and ready to jump over anything. I won't keep apologising for things that I don't see as any kind of bad behaviour. In fact the one that set off the current crisis was me offering to help her and she saw it as criticism. When she kept on and on demanding that I reflect on my motivations more (ie admit that I was picking on her), I got frustrated and raised my voice briefly (I know, I shouldn't, but sometimes I just can't help it). This brief voice-raising triggered a 30 minute shouted rant by her, including swearing and name-calling. There are many more twists and turns since then but probably not relevant for the main question.

Prior to this, I knew very little about BPD, I'd heard the term but that's about all. I had no idea how to handle someone like her, and hadn't read other people's experiences of appeasing which inevitably seem to go wrong in the end. I'm now trying to set limits (I won't engage in one-sided discussions about my "problems", I won't take her interrupting me to put words into my mouth, etc). I've told her that I think she has been too dominant in handling disputes, and at times has crossed the line into what I think is verbal abuse.

Her take is that I have been lying to her for 20 years, and that everything she thought she knew about me is wrong. I have told her in the past (prior to the current crisis) that I frequently drop things because I know she won't apologise, and that our arguments often have unfairly one-sided resolutions, but I think because she didn't agree she didn't really take notice of this.

So now we're in a slightly strange situation. I do feel upset by a lot of her behaviour, but I think I know have a better idea of how to handle anything like this in the future. I know that on her good days, she's an amazing person and I really want to stay together. Plus there are two children. Her take is that she can't trust me anymore, and she can't speak freely and show vulnerability because in the past she did that (by complaining freely, I think) and now she knows that I think badly of her for this behaviour. So she feels a lot of distance between us and wants to have a co-parenting, living together but not romantic relationship. I don't think I can handle that, as I love her too much to be able to handle an ambiguous situation like this, with proximity but no intimacy.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Any advice on how I can help her understand why I appeased for so long? I know it was ultimately unhelpful, and I really regret taking that approach, but I do want her to see that her behaviour made this be a likely response.

Any advice or just similar experiences gratefully received!
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 11:28:41 AM »

Hi AppeaseNoMore and Welcome

To answer one of your later questions sooner...

Has anyone experienced something like this?

the nice thing about this group is that the answer is Yes, many members here have gone through similar situations; you're definitely not alone. While there are no "magic solutions" or "quick fixes", this is a place where you can learn the non-intuitive skills, tools, approaches, and most importantly, mindset shifts, that could help make your relationship more livable for you.

If I'm tracking with your current situation, the short version is that you'd appeased to stop conflict for quite a while, and have recently started trying something new (not reflexively apologizing). She is noticing a difference and is communicating that in unhelpful ways.

Couple of thoughts.

One is that it is healthy to decline to be the audience for extreme rants/emotional dumping. Nobody is helped, and the relationship is damaged, when she chooses to use abusive language to you, and you choose to be there to hear it. So, it makes sense to decide for yourself what your true boundaries are (note -- true boundaries are not ultimatums, rules for other people, or necessarily verbal statements. True boundaries are rules that you decide for yourself, that are 100% under your control).

Prior to this, I knew very little about BPD, I'd heard the term but that's about all. I had no idea how to handle someone like her, and hadn't read other people's experiences of appeasing which inevitably seem to go wrong in the end. I'm now trying to set limits (I won't engage in one-sided discussions about my "problems", I won't take her interrupting me to put words into my mouth, etc). I've told her that I think she has been too dominant in handling disputes, and at times has crossed the line into what I think is verbal abuse.

We can refine your ideas a bit, and you can see if it's helpful.

Sometimes when dealing with a pwBPD, it can be much more helpful to do our own boundaries, than to explain them to others. In fact, JADE-ing can sometimes make things worse. So, I wonder if instead of trying to explain to her that she's been verbally abusive, you could decide for yourself that you won't stay in conversations where you don't like how you're being spoken to?

Maybe a previous example would've been:

Her: "AppeaseNoMore is a &*%%^$^ piece of *$%@#%$@^ and never listens and is a horrible person and blah blah blah"

You: "I won't tolerate being spoken to that way. You're being verbally abusive. It's wrong and I will not accept it. You need to stop talking to me that way."

Her: "Actually, I'm not being verbally abusive, you are, you're the problem, I can't believe you always blah blah blah"

A possible tweak for the future could be:

Her: "AppeaseNoMore is a &*%%^$^ piece of *$%@#%$@^ and never listens and is a horrible person and blah blah blah"

You: "I don't like hearing that. I'm going to the store; I'll be back in an hour."

Her: continues saying whatever, but you aren't there to hear it

Basically, doing instead of explaining boundaries minimizes the possibility of continuing the conflict (explaining tends to open more doors for argument) and protects you from prolonged exposure to hearing awful things.

Another thought:

As odd as it sounds, she's right that you're interacting differently. She may not be expressing herself skillfully about that, but she is correct.

That's where validation comes in. Validation and boundaries go hand in hand. One isn't better or worse than the other, just like a hammer isn't better or worse than a screwdriver. It's all about which tool/approach is appropriate for the situation. We don't recommend validating abusive language -- that's where boundaries will apply. Boundaries are for your protection.

Validation -- true emotional validation -- is a way to connect safely. Like you said, you want to make this relationship work, and an "all boundaries" relationship sounds pretty sad and isolated. Typical approaches to connection that might work for "generally normal" relationships might not for a BPD relationship, which is where the skill of validation comes in.

Validation isn't agreeing that whatever she says is right (that's just appeasement), trying to make her happy, never saying no, etc.

It's about figuring out the feeling behind her words, and putting yourself in her shoes. If you felt like your W suddenly changed after 20 years, and was talking to you "differently", but you couldn't put your finger on what it was, how would you feel? Confused? Angry? Scared? Other?

It isn't about if the context is "correct" for feeling the feeling. It's all about the feeling on its own. Fortunately, you don't have to agree with her that you're "untrustworthy, a betrayer, a liar", etc. You can validate the feeling behind all that and see if that helps you two connect.

An example might be:

Her: "I can't trust you anymore. You changed overnight after 20 years. I think you've just been lying."

You: "Wow, that would feel unsettling to feel like you couldn't trust me."

You aren't agreeing that she's right to feel that way -- but you're saying that it would be unsettling to feel like you couldn't trust your spouse!

Last thought:

Any advice on how I can help her understand why I appeased for so long?

If BPD is in the mix, it might be more effective not to pursue "trying to make her understand", and more effective to pursue improving your own health and building your own toolset. "Trying to make her see" sounds like a solid brick wall to beat your head against -- the wall won't break but your head will hurt. Doing new actions (pairing validation and boundaries) may be more constructive that attempting new explanations.

And a quick question to end with -- how old are your kids?
AppeaseNoMore

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 12:57:31 PM »

Thanks for the great reply. Somehow I missed the reply notification previously so just came back to it now.
Kids are 7 and 13. A bit too young to be able to wait it out until they grow up, even though she seems to want to.

I have started trying to take a "doing rather than saying approach", but as long as she seems totally withdrawn from me I worry that we won't get anywhere until the issues are resolved. If she doesn't find some way to accept the new situation, and not feel that it violates her trust in me, then I worry that the distance will remain indefinitely.

The issue really is that in the last few months, our pattern hasn't been one of her shouting and me responding/leaving/whatever. The new pattern is that she has as little contact with me as she can manage, other than what's necessary to run the house/raise the children. I am still trying to treat her with kindness and love but it is hard when there's essentially nothing coming back.

I will try the validation approach if the core issues arise again. We have started couple therapy so we may revisit these issues and have an opportunity to try your ideas.

Thanks!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest