Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 06, 2024, 01:59:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gathering evidence to show BPD is mentally ill for court  (Read 400 times)
Indyan

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated for 15 months, court 4 months ago

« on: October 13, 2014, 10:52:32 AM »

So here I am. My lawyer has told me to ask friends, familly, neighbours to testify about rage fits, weird behaviours, me being distressed about it etc.

Has anyone here gone through this? What was the outcome?
Matt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced.

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:04:30 AM »

It may be hard to get others to speak up and paint the whole picture.  Usually BPD is a disorder of intimate relationships;  you may have seen her act out many times, but others probably haven't seen that side of her.

The best way to establish that somebody has BPD is to get objective psych evals like the MMPI-2.  It's very hard to fool - in fact, if someone tries to fool the test, the results may show that.  That's what happened with my wife - her results included "presented falsely" which means she lied to try to fool the test.  But it was still able to give the psychologist enough information to diagnose her with BPD and other stuff.

Do you have kids?  What ages?

Indyan

Relationship status: separated for 15 months, court 4 months ago

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »

I don't think they ask us to take a test here in France.

Yes, I have 2 kids, one baby aged 9mo (his baby) and D10 (SD for him).

I was told D10 won't be questioned but I can provide evidence she's seeing a therapist because she's scared and traumatized
Matt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »

I don't think they ask us to take a test here in France.

Yes, I have 2 kids, one baby aged 9mo (his baby) and D10 (SD for him).

I was told D10 won't be questioned but I can provide evidence she's seeing a therapist because she's scared and traumatized

I don't know anything about the French system - ours in the US is based on English law so there may be some similarities between the US and UK but I think France has some different legal traditions.

Here, it's not standard for parents to be tested, but you can file a motion with the court to do that.  I filed a motion for the court to appoint a Custody Evaluator - a Ph.D. psychologist - and he asked us to take the MMPI-2.  Maybe you can find out what options you have based on how things work there.

Also, in our system, kids usually aren't questioned in court, but if there is a Custody Evaluator he can talk with the kids and anyone else who might have important information, and use anything relevant to make a recommendation.

It may be possible to subpoena your daughter's therapist, to get her input, or for the CE to talk with the T.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest