Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 03:32:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacement similarity  (Read 388 times)
JerichoJax

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: December 17, 2019, 11:20:28 AM »

Is it normal for someone with BPD to find someone similar for their next partner?

I have become aware that my ex husband is dating a guy with the same first name, birthdate is the day before mine and he has the car, house, etc.  When my ex and I started dating I was separated from my previous partner though we were working on things ... this new guy was in a relationship and based upon social media patterns my ex's efforts started 3 months prior.  The only differences is the new guys house has a pool and he is of similar age to my ex vs the age difference we had.  Social media he started posting things a couple months ago about transforming, the vacuum law of prosperity, etc.  I knew something was up back in June as he went silent and suspected he was working on lining up a replacement.

I find it surprising as he said people saw him as a gold digger after the discard in January.  My ex has held a job for 8 months however if he makes it more than 6 months.  He has a history of self sabotaging his employment a few months after he clears a year.  He does fly under the radar more being a Quiet Borderline and with crafty manipulation of people however doing a repeat of someone with greater financial means seems like a recipe for having the same thing case on him.  Nearest my therapists can figure out my ex left out of shame of not being a man and his inability to maintain employment while being with someone who financially didn't need him deepened this shame.

Just really puzzled by all this as it makes no logical sense.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 09:20:50 PM »

The birthday would be a coincidence, and roughly half the population owns homes, more cars, but the name is interesting.

There might be some motivations driven by pathology here, or it might simply be that's what he's attracted to.  When we were first dating, my ex compared me to the boyfriend before her last, the one she was still in love with. "You're tall like him, he was also into guns and motorcycles and he was also smart." Aside from her rudeness which I didn't call out, that might have been just what she liked at that point in her life. 

As my T told me, "not everything needs to be pathologized."

So it might be something and it might not be something. Regardless, what about it bothers you, logic or illogic aside?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 02:37:10 AM »

my ex jumped out of our relationship and into a relationship with a guy who looked a lot like me, and we had a lot in common.

it wasnt lost on me. it wasnt lost on mutual friends. and from mutual friends who told me privately, i know it wasnt lost on her.

Excerpt
Is it normal for someone with BPD to find someone similar for their next partner?

years (many) later, i would tell you that there is not a specific answer to this question.

BPD is a disorder of emotions that affects around 20 million people. its hallmarks are impulsivity, suicidality, and eating disorders. there is nothing about the disorder, specifically, that indicates a proclivity for a type of partner. in fact all of my exs previous exes were all very, very different.

what i can also tell you is that it hurts, really hurts, to witness an ex move on; any ex. far, far more so when it looks like there was a connection before our relationships even ended. that was true in my case. it only became apparent to me in the aftermath. its a cowardly thing to do, i think, when youre facing the precipice of ending a relationship, to look for another. unfortunately, lots of people do it, BPD or not.

do you find youre comparing yourself to the new guy?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
enlighten me

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 02:45:56 AM »

I would say its normal. We all have a type, we all have aspirations in life.

None of us think that for my next relationship I want to be living in a squat with someone I have nothing in common with. Yes over time our goals may change but we try to follow a path that we have set out years ago.

With borderlines they may dramatically switch as they try to reinvent themselves or have decided that it will be a safe relationship as they are not really invested. They do have their core values and expectations from life like all of us do.

SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 11:07:27 AM »

The whole type thing...you have to be willing to break the pattern to get it right. Its like the definition of insanity...if you keep doing the same thing over and over again and then expect different results you will never learn your lesson and always end up with drama, a broken heart, lack of fulfillment, and unhappy.

However, bpd types usually end up with the same type of partners over and over again because they do not have the courage and fortitude to take the path of the unknown. They would rather play it safe so they have control. Now while bpd persons mirror behavior and while all their partners may appear different you will see a pattern unfold if you peer beneath the surface. Essentially you could make an accordion pattern and have all the partners holding hands because it is in fact the same person (regardless of outward appearances and everything external).

Doesn't matter if I am wrong or right, but just adding some food for thought here.

Cheers!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest