Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 11:17:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gave her an inch :/  (Read 357 times)
Justme1

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: January 20, 2014, 09:07:08 AM »

I went three months with virtually no contact with my BPD mother.

Then suddenly some issues came up back home that put me in a situation where I had no choice but to speak with her. I was able to keep the discussion on topic, however that opened a door.

She started sending me and my husband gifts in the mail. I found this very confusing, because until then she had made every effort to both prevent my marriage and/or ignore his existence. I did thank her for the gifts, but I was still extremely wary.

Yesterday she started texting me because she needed to borrow something, and it was a bit of an emergency for her. After much contemplation, I decided to let her borrow it in an effort to keep her compliant if I end up needing her assistance again over the initial situation which I mentioned.

Unfortunately, this led to her sending me 20+ texts asking for additional assistance, and demanding that I meet her in the middle of the night so she could borrow additional equipment. I refused to meet her. However, she started asking for me to meet her again the following morning, to which I also refused.

I feel like I should have known better, but I'm trying hard not to blame myself for this. Once again, I was put in a bad situation. My hope is that once this situation subsides I will have no need to communicate with her again, and I can live my life in peace.

It was a good three-month stretch. Now the queen is back, and I'm terrified that the witch will show up too. Ugh.
DreamGirl
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:45:37 PM »

Inches tend to turn into miles with people who struggle in boundaries.

Did it kinda feel like you "owed" her because the gifts?

I tend to keep score in that way. If someone does nice for me, I have to repay it tenfold. I think that's a learned experience from my childhood experiences in a dysfunctional family.

It's not really how it works though.  

"What I want is what I've not got, and what I need is all around me." ~Dave Matthews

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest