Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 02:44:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it my fault?  (Read 644 times)
Zuzmat
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: January 31, 2022, 01:58:32 PM »

My 22 year old daughter has had mental health issues for about 7.5 years. It has been a turbulent and traumatic time for her and fir the rest of the family. She has recently had a formal diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder. I am very pleased she has finally had a diagnosis and that it will mean that we will now have some structure to her treatments and recovery. It also helps her to make sense of what is going on.
Without wanting to appear selfish - I know this is about my daughter and getting her the help and support she needs - I feel quite devastated by the diagnosis, given that BPD is supposed to be caused by trauma and/or abuse in childhood. I believe that my children have all had lovely childhoods and that my husband and I have loved them and supported them in every way we can. I simply can't understand how my daughter will have experienced abuse or trauma. Has my parenting caused this debilitating condition? Is it all my fault?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 02:19:21 PM »

Zuzmat, hi and welcome  Virtual hug (click to insert in post) we're glad you're here. This is a tough road you're on but you'll find support and understanding here.

I simply can't understand how my daughter will have experienced abuse or trauma. Has my parenting caused this debilitating condition? Is it all my fault?

My D21 recently completely cut me out of her life, claiming all sorts of wild things. Up until last year, she told me I was the only parent who ever made her feel loved and understood. I don't believe she has BPD but I'm left reeling with some of the same questions you have.

It's common for BPD to result from trauma but I don't think it's a one-for-one certainty. BPD can be genetic, and trauma results from a host of life experiences. In my daughter's case, I think she has a lot of unresolved pain from my divorce.

Most of us parents do the best we can and fall within some range of normal. Don't absorb her diagnosis. It just is. Accepting that will come with grief, relief, sadness, anger and all sorts of other intense feelings.

That said, take this opportunity to learn more about you. This has been an opportunity for me to ask the hard questions, sort through who I am, what I've done well, what I've failed at, and where I want to be in the future. I can now verbalize with confidence where I failed as a parent. I can also state with confidence that I've been a really good mom, well within a normal range. I did my best and I'm worth knowing and loving. I'm thankful for this opportunity to assess all of this.

What's the next step in treatment for your daughter? Do you have a therapist?

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
RobertX

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 06:04:39 AM »

We have a very similar experience in that out Son (with BPD) uses the smallest detail from his childhood, and genuine mistakes that we (and I) have made to create a hugely damaging narrative.  he also blames us for not taking his mental health seriously.   We are finding the validation approach very useful as well as avoiding 'JADE'.  One of the most difficult things is for his narrative to effectively destroy a lovely upbringing with the rest of his family.  Old family videos have become too hard to watch  - showing how happy we all were.  Don't blame yourself, but perhaps get therapy and or coaching yourself to learn how to deal with your daughter, and support her in getting the right therapy, support and medication.  I don't think it will just get better with time?  Absolutely no expert and others may disagree?
Rev
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 06:56:33 AM »

Hi Z,

Also signing on to say welcome and to "listen" to the wisdom here. I have a 25 yr old daughter who has a bi-polar condition who refuses to get help. Suffice it to say, that in spite of everything I know, I still struggle.  Just this morning in fact.

So thank you for your post.

I look forward to hearing more from everyone.

Stay safe. Be well. Everyone hang in there.

Rev
Zuzmat
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 05:58:21 PM »

Thank you for the replies - it really helps to feel the support from people going through similar issues.
My daughter has been in hospital for a week now and I am a little calmer than I was. I'm still reeling from the diagnosis but I'm trying to accept that I have to look forward now and have to put my energies into trying to support her through this tough time. I will take the advice and when things are calmer I will try to review the past with a clear head.
I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply to my post and I hope you are all coping ok with your own difficult situations. I am so glad I have found this forum. Thank you again.
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 06:53:45 PM »

My 22 year old daughter has had mental health issues for about 7.5 years. It has been a turbulent and traumatic time for her and fir the rest of the family. She has recently had a formal diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder. I am very pleased she has finally had a diagnosis and that it will mean that we will now have some structure to her treatments and recovery. It also helps her to make sense of what is going on.
Without wanting to appear selfish - I know this is about my daughter and getting her the help and support she needs - I feel quite devastated by the diagnosis, given that BPD is supposed to be caused by trauma and/or abuse in childhood. I believe that my children have all had lovely childhoods and that my husband and I have loved them and supported them in every way we can. I simply can't understand how my daughter will have experienced abuse or trauma. Has my parenting caused this debilitating condition? Is it all my fault?

Chiming in along with a partner in crime of mine the infamous REV. ;-)

So Zuz...something I want to point out. BPD being caused supposedly by trauma and/or abuse in childhood is a bit too much of an easy out. There are a lot of factors at play. So to that end I would say do not blame yourself with guilt. BPD is a monster and how that monster is created honestly is a bit too complex to simply say yep this or that is what caused it. It could be a genetic predisposition. It could be events your daughter experienced in school, or experiences away from you. There is a high probability that perhaps it has zero to do with you.

So please do not jump to conclusions and put that weight on yourself. This is one of those scenarios where the more likely truth and culprit is a perfect storm of things. Maybe you played a role, but then again maybe you didn't. I would hedge my bets on that a lot of this was out of your control. Sometimes you could be perfect and there will still be something you could not account for. In essence, all you can do is accept and embrace the variance. So please be kind to you and take care of yourself on that front. Strive to be the best parent you can be now and moving forward.

Also, please continue to keep venting as much as you need to. We are all here to help you and listen.

Cheers and best wishes!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest