Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 04, 2024, 08:35:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verbiage  (Read 206 times)
rayndance

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married

« on: November 14, 2023, 12:01:50 PM »

Hello! I am working on learning how to communicate effectively. I would like to run this by the group, to see how this would be received, and what landmines it contains. Please be gentle, I am learning. I feel like it says nothing at all, and I want it to say what I am feeling - ashamed for not learning sooner.

I am sorry for not validating your feelings that i have been hurtful to you, and that you constantly have to be on the lookout for me trying to be hurtful. I should have addressed that, like an adult, instead of panicking, then saying that it was a joke to hurt you. It's one of the frequent communication patterns that have caused a lot of pain. I get defensive and try to argue my perspective or agree with the worst-case scenario instead of listening to the underlying message of how I make you feel and working with that. That is the reason you add, "how you make me feel, " because I miss the message while focusing on how to defend myself or trying not to let myself look bad.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 12:25:28 PM »

What is the context?

Is this a response to something that has been said to you?

Is it just an apology/explanation because you feel compelled?

The apology parts contain specifics: are these things this person has verbalized/complained about, or is it your summary/perception?

What is the goal? What is the part you want to be heard, and why?

Context is vital. Without it, any part of your piece could be poorly or well received.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
rayndance

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 01:16:33 PM »

The context was in response to an event that keeps reoccurring. For example, I bought a toy that I thought was cute. I liked it, but he was able to find a connotation that I did not know about, and said I bought it to be hurtful, because of that context. And like usual, I end up agreeing that I did it on purpose to hurt him. I hate myself for doing it, but it has been the only thing that stops the fight. I was also trying to tie in advice I received in response to another post, where there is a third option to agreeing to something that is not true, or trying to argue that it is not true - to ignore the details and respond to the emotions.
thankful person

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Married

Formerly known as broken person…

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 02:47:14 PM »

Hi Rayndance,

I think it’s great that you’re learning how to understand your partner and communicate with him better. All of the things you said in the original post, it is good that you are reflecting on these things and how you could handle things differently/better. What I would say, in my wife’s case, is that long introspective explanations (what I’m good at) are of no use or interest to her at all. She would say she wants ACTION NOT WORDS. She is jealous of me for many things and my writing is one of them. My wife also has a habit of seeing things in a very bad light even when I meant well. It is those black coloured glasses they like to wear. In her case she doesn’t seem aware that her treatment of me is unfair because she only sees the negative connotations and she doesn’t realise that, or see that I meant well, she only sees her own needs and that I carelessly hurt her. She literally wants me to not have done the thing I just did, and since I can’t undo it, it’s all about damage limitation at this stage.  One way of attempting to down play the drama is to try not to discuss it too much. Another is to take good care of yourself, speak encouragingly to yourself, respect yourself (these things are hard but will help you get stronger). We’re always here if you need support or advice. You will find us caretakers, who unwittingly chose pwbpds for partners, have much in common.

“Maybe I’ll get it right next time…” from “Estranged” by Guns N’ Roses
SaltyDawg

Relationship status: Moderately High Conflict Marriage (improving)

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 04:21:23 PM »

The context was in response to an event that keeps reoccurring. For example, I bought a toy that I thought was cute. I liked it, but he was able to find a connotation that I did not know about, and said I bought it to be hurtful, because of that context. And like usual, I end up agreeing that I did it on purpose to hurt him. I hate myself for doing it, but it has been the only thing that stops the fight. I was also trying to tie in advice I received in response to another post, where there is a third option to agreeing to something that is not true, or trying to argue that it is not true - to ignore the details and respond to the emotions.

You could respond along the lines of... "[name], I can see your point [reword his connotation] about the toy being used in a hurtful way that I did not think about and that was not my intent.  Honestly, I bought it because I 'thought it was cute', and I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."  This way you are validating his feelings without validating the invalid ('you intentionally hurt him' is invalid).  You also implied an apology without making an actual apology with 'didn't mean to hurt your feelings'.

However, if he is still dysregulated, you can continue if you want with something along the lines of "I can see that you are very upset over this, I want to apologize for making you upset.  I can either put the toy away, for now, where it is out of sight and out of mind for now, [or I would even consider returning it if it upsets you that much]."  In brackets [] portion only if you don't care to keep the toy.  You are not apologizing for buying the toy, but rather making him upset because of some connotation you didn't think of.  However, be mindful that he is disordered, and if this is a pattern that keeps 'reoccuring' it could be a pattern of abuse (controlling what you can and cannot buy, is a form of financial abuse), you need to discern this in your situation - if this is the case you would need to set a boundary on this.

Do not admit to deliberately hurting his feelings, he may use that against you in a future argument.

If he is religious, and the toy disparages his deity, moral code, or is offensive in any other way it is understandable.  However, if it is something cute, that doesn't offend, see if there is a pattern of abuse.  Alternatively, if you are buying the toy, and it is expensive, from joint funding, that can also be a legitimate issue, especially if your funding it tight.

I once had a talking doll, it was given to me as a 'gag' gift, the doll was a woman who looked like my wife, and was over the top making nagging statements on things my wife would say.  [she received a similar one of a guy who looked like me making similar outrageous statements that were untrue of me]  I thought it was cute and hilarious, my wife did not.  I wound up keeping it, but my wife hated it.  It finally was thrown away after the battery died on it and could not be replaced.  I could see how my wife hated it, as it reminded her of something she didn't like in herself.  While this is obvious, it can be a lot more subtle too, I like sci-fi/fantasy, my wife, not so much, so if I bought a toy in that genre, she might not like it.  However, since she is miserly (her uOCPD side when baseline) she generally will question me on why I got it - so unless it is something I need to use for repairs around the home, or at my house of worship (where I volunteer), I don't get the toy (usually a tool, or piece of software), to avoid conflict - this is a form of walking on eggshells, that I myself am currently working on.  My wife has gotten better with therapy, but there still are issues.

Hope that helps...

This can all be very stressful, make sure you do self-care whatever that looks like for you.  (Even if it means hiding the 'cute toy' so you can enjoy it).

Take care with self-care.

rayndance

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 08:54:06 AM »

@thankful person
I get "actions not words" so frequently! And the worst-case scenario for my intent - it helps to know that is a thing, too.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest