Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 16, 2024, 01:24:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harbor Point... scared to death  (Read 365 times)
njva4

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« on: October 01, 2014, 06:55:55 AM »

I sent my daughter to this facility truly believing  that it was a good facility. Last night ( my daughters first day there) She called me and told me she was terrified. Said that another patient had attacked a nurse right outside her room. She said that  The staff told her she  was in the most aggressive wing of the hospital and fights were a regular thing. My daughter said everyone else at this facility was African American and she was the only Caucasian in there, which makes her the odd one out. She was on the phone with me and I heard the other patients screaming at each other and then a nurse scream at all of them. After I got off the phone I decided to look up reviews on this facility. What I found scared me to death  in May of 2011 the facility was in trouble for poor supervision,physical and sexual abuse, and poor  medication monitoring. They were also in trouble for not promptly reporting to licensing officials or legal guardians as required by law.  In March of 2013 they have been forced to give back millions of dollars in prior years for the substandard care that they provided at other faculties.   The  psychiatrist that sent her there told me this place was a wonderful place and my daughter would get the care she needed.  The truancy team agreed with the hospital because they basically told them the same thing. So therefore my hands were tied on not sending her. The truancy team told my daughter that if she didnt go to the facility willingly then there would be a chins placed on her in the courts and the judge would most likely send her there anyway, but that would be court ordered. they also told us that my daughter could end up in fostercare or in a detention center. My daughter decided to go to Harbor Point voluntarily. I can get her out but if she is released AMA then her insurance does not have to pay for the time she has spent there. I am so terrified for my 16 year old.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
PyneappleDays

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 08:58:32 AM »

Hugs

I have not read all your posts if any sorry. You may get a more professional response from the staff and facilitators on this site.  You may have to work with your insurance and talk to a lawyer.  Have you talked to the staff and our doctor to find an alternative? Sometimes when they are in RTC they will say all kinds of stuff to get out.  Have you considered that?  Are you seeking a councillor for yourself? RTC are not for everyone.  There is a right fit criterion.  This facility may not be the right one for your daughter. What are the instances that lead up to this?  I know from experience with my daughter.  I thought the first one was in in a better area and a newer facility and the staffs were expellant, but she took off after 2 months (approx.).  The one she's in now she's doing much better and there's a plan for the next 2 years.

You maybe scare but talk through it and start asking questions.

jellibeans

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:40 AM »

dear njva4

I am sorry things are not good for your dd. I tend to agree with pyneappledays when she says not to believe everything your dd tells you. Unfortunately my experience with RTC has been similar. When I would call my dd there was always yelling in the background and it sounded like a mad house. I am sure my dd gained some good from the experience but at the same time I feel it was very hard on her and not really what a pwBPD needs. My dd was very unstable and was overdosing monthly almost so I really had no choice... .I could not keep her safe and I was exhausted trying.

Have you read Valerie Porr's book Overcoming BPD? I really have gained a lot of knowledge and insight into this disorder. Please get it if you can. I am not sure how old your dd is... .mine is 17 and I have seen some improvements from her over the past few years. I have just accepted that it is going to take time but I believe and I have hope that my dd will come through these teen years and be able to live independently and most importantly happily.
theplotthickens

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 12:53:11 PM »

I am sorry that you are in a catch 22 situation.  As your daughter's guardian, you are obligated to do whatever is best for her.  Follow your gut. 

My question is, what if the abuse and drama is real?  Abuse and poor care is rampant in RTC's... .they exist to bill and generate profits.  Visit the place and check up on them.  Never trust anyone 100% with your child.

Keep us updated on what you find out.

pessim-optimist

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 07:47:24 PM »

The worry must be debilitating... .I am sorry that instead of peace you have added stress, njva4... . 

While trusting your child's reports wouldn't necessarily be the best indicator of how things are, the bad reviews are concerning... .

Do you have a way to go see the facility for yourself? Would it be possible to still set up an interview with them? Get some references from them and investigate more?

Perhaps researching other facilities might get you a better result, and you could get her transferred?

How long has your dd been there? If you took her out, would you be able to get her re-admitted or get her admitted somewhere else with insurance paying for the new admission?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest