Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 03, 2024, 10:10:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being called an abuser - Has that ever happened to you?  (Read 461 times)
Sky07

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2018, 08:37:55 PM »

so tell us a bit more about the exchange with your therapist. does she give any reason why she thinks what she thinks? does she give anything to compare it to? and what do you think?

So my therapist asked me if it was my intent to hurt. I said "no" obviously. It is kinda of a cultural thing to sometimes comment on people for me and it is hard habit to break. Every time my ex told me that it hurt when I made a certain comment, I would defend myself sure but I always put the effort to stop commenting on whatever she complained about.

The therapist first said that the word abuse shouldn't be use lightly as such. That I was harsh and hurt my ex but it doesn't classify as abuse because I didn't berate her and tell her to change her hair or anything as such.

One thing that is very confusing to me is that my ex wanted no comments on her body and hair, it was a boundary and I should have taken that seriously but she commented on my body and hair too so I always forgot about the boundary and thought that it was ok to say certain things. She has herself told me my hair is childish or looks like Justin Bieber before as jokes. Sometimes she adds "it's cute" at the end of her sentence. Or when she disliked that I put wax in my hair because she would always get it on her hand while she ran her hands in my hair.

Another exchange I had with my ex is she sent me an edited photo of her with blue eyes (she has brown eyes) and asked me if I would still date her like this. I was at work and thought you know, this is a joke and I said "probably not" and told her that it made her look cold and mean. She went with it and then afterwards started a fight, I got defensive again because she doesn't have blue eyes, it's a fight over something that is not real.

We have had this exchange before at the start of our relationship where again she sent me a photo of her with blue eyes. Again, I told her it made her look coldish. She called me a 'hater', I said 'i love your brown eyes so much'. My therapist recons that she creates traps out of nowhere.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2018, 02:20:30 PM »

The therapist first said that the word abuse shouldn't be use lightly as such.

i agree with your therapist about that.

i think maybe the more important question here is whether your behavior conflicted with your own values, and if so, what would you do differently next time?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Sky07

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 03:00:14 AM »

i agree with your therapist about that.

i think maybe the more important question here is whether your behavior conflicted with your own values, and if so, what would you do differently next time?

I can see parts where I have been controlling. I can also see part where I haven't communicated in a healthy way, throwing a pity party at myself which can be seen as a guilt trip. Getting angry at them, pushing their boundaries. I feel ashamed and wish I had better communication skills. I feel guilty for hurting them, how do you ever heal from that?

At the same time, I feel like all the push/pull, dissociation, constant arguments, not caring for my emotions and needs was abusive too. I feel confused and lost.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2018, 04:20:49 PM »

I feel guilty for hurting them, how do you ever heal from that?

the short answer, i think, is to see it, take responsibility for it, learn from it, and change it.

wish I had better communication skills.

youre in luck Sky07! have you looked through the communication tools here? weve got a slew of them. the best part is that they work with everyone. i use them all the time. its made a huge difference in my relationships of all kinds.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest