Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 19, 2024, 12:35:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please tell me I don't have to hate her…  (Read 736 times)
justnothing

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: January 06, 2013, 12:57:24 AM »

I know this is a stupid, rhetorical question and that I've already been over this in the past but right now I just need somebody to please tell me I don't "need" to hate her in order to get better… I know you're supposed to process whatever negative influence she may have had but I can't take it…

You're supposed to deal with the anger and all that but I'm afraid of letting it take over. I don't want to stop loving her or hate her or anything along those lines. And yeah, I know what this sounds like but I don't care…

GeekyGirl
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:28:58 AM »

You don't have to hate her. You don't "have" to feel anything--there's no wrong or right way to feel. You can be angry at someone and still love him/her. I'm angry with my parents but that doesn't mean that I don't love them.

Manon46

Relationship status: divorced 2010

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »

Hate is very strong destructive emotion. There is absolutely no "need" to feel that. Sometimes out of anger you may feel like you hate someone, but it's a place where you better not stay.

Hate consumes you, and doesn't help you to move away. So there is nothing wrong without feelings of hate. The best way out is love and forgiveness. It gives you space to breathe. And that is what you "need".
gottafixit

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 09:08:47 AM »

The only time I feel "hate" with my exBPD wife is when we talk on the phone, or in person, and she starts the constant same old badgering and useless negativity - and just simply WON'T STOP!  I have to put my phone on mute until she leaves enough of a pause for me to say I have to go.
justnothing

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »

Thank you very, very much for the replies. I'm sorry for getting all upset about it all of a sudden, it has just been on my mind a lot lately and I've been having a hard time shaking it. Last night something reminded me of how bad the anger I used to feel towards her would sometimes get and for some reason it left me with a sense of horrible anxiety although I'm not entirely sure over what.

Earlier today, after posting, it suddenly hit me that I'm kind of split between a pretty major part that only ever wanted to love and "protect" her, even at the expense of becoming my own person… vs. another major part that wants the opposite, even at the expanse of losing her… and I can't reconcile the two (although at this point you'd think I'd be able to because my mother has already passed on and I could no longer hurt her in any way and she doesn't need me anymore).

I remember thinking a few times in the distant past that it was kind of like having to choose between life and love. I know she didn't do it on purpose but I really wish I never had to choose between those.

Um and sorry if the above seemed to have gone off track… I'm not entirely sure where I was coming from or where I was going with this…

GeekyGirl
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »

It's ok, justnothing. Sometimes it's a lot to take in. You've been processing a lot over the past few months as you've learned more about your relationship with your mother. It's painful at times. It's confusing at other times. If it helps to talk here, go for it.

I remember thinking a few times in the distant past that it was kind of like having to choose between life and love. I know she didn't do it on purpose but I really wish I never had to choose between those.

Do you still feel that way? Do you feel like your mother ever felt like she could have both life and love?

justnothing

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 10:41:18 PM »

Thank you…

Do you still feel that way? Do you feel like your mother ever felt like she could have both life and love?

That's a good question… I'm not sure to what extent my own mother had to choose between the two. When it comes to the emotional incest syndrome, there was definitely some of that between her and her own mother (my grandmother) who used to tell her things like "What would you rather do today? Do you want to go to school to be with those mean old teachers or would you rather stay home with me?" when my mother was little… To my grandmother's credit, she herself was homeschooled as a child and ended up a genius with a Ph.D in medicine plus an M.S. in math (and yes, she was unusual for women in those days)… but it never occurred to her to home school my mother. In her teens, when my mother had her first ever crush on a boy, my grandmother simply prevented her from seeing him.

My mother never had a chance to rebel though because my grandmother passed away suddenly when my mother was 16. My mother was the Chosen Child and her mother's death completely destroyed her and she literally never recovered. After my mother passed away, one of our neighbors (who was also at the funeral) was shaken and told me that a week before her death, my mother had passed her by and they talked for a few minutes and at one point my mother said "I wish I were dead, ever since my mother died I've had no reason to live". I informed my neighbor that my mother used to say that kind of thing all the time and pretty much her whole life, though usually not in public.

I used to resent my grandmother when I was younger without understanding why because my mother always described her as a complete saint (on top of being unequivocally beautiful, kind, funny, generous and brilliant). Eventually I realized it was because I was supposed to replace her (well, her and other people as well but she was the main one). My mother used to rate everything about me on a scale of 1 to my grandmother. At my very best I was "almost as beautiful as my grandmother", "almost as smart as my grandmother" and "almost as funny as my grandmother". To give you an idea… even though my eyes are medium blue my mother once literally suggested I get light blue colored contacts so that they could be closer to the shade my grandmother had. She also kept asking me for medical advice and would ask me to "just have a look" at different parts of her body that were causing her problems, rather than ask her doctor. I kept refusing and telling her to go ask her doctor about it and she'd complain that she used to be able to turn to her mother for advice and why couldn't I just study medicine and do the same for her… She would sometimes get me to cave and have a look by telling me that she refused to have it examined by her doctor without me having a look and giving her my opinion first. Other times I would refuse and tell her that if she didn't want to get herself checked that was her problem… and then she wouldn’t get herself checked… :-/

I was relieved, mostly on my mother's behalf, that in the last few years of her life she finally started coming around to the idea that her mother wasn't a complete saint and that her father wasn't the complete epitome of evil… Obviously it didn't relieve her of all her pain when it came to her mother's death, but it seemed to have brought her some relative peace and it felt good to see that in her. This is one of the reasons why I've made it a kind of goal to establish a non-idealized, non-devaluated image of her in my own mind. It's just that it's not always easy because of the way my own mind is set up and also because of the intensity of the emotions surrounding her. So sometimes when the negative emotions start to flare up, I start to freak out over the idea that I might "lose her" (so to speak) in my own mind… if that makes any sense.

At the risk of sounding like I'm shifting blame here; I suppose my mother didn't see anything wrong with her own parenting (like telling me that I don't have to bother going to school if I don't want to) because it was similar to her own mother's and in her eyes her mother could do no wrong… except that she and her mother never talked much and so when she told me far, far too much about her own life it was "the kind of thing she wished she had had with her own mother". On a subconscious and subliminal level it did serve her own needs granted… but consciously I know she did try her best… And sorry if this has turned into yet another long, scrambled thing and it's OK if nobody's even read this far it was just nice to get it out.  

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest