Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 03, 2024, 05:47:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: clarity  (Read 345 times)
dolphin99
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married

« on: November 09, 2020, 12:43:20 PM »

I just began reading eggshells. I see a strong similarity in my life issues w my wife. she has depression and anxiety. I am constantly wrong, isensitive and inhumane bc i do not validate her.  i can never argue or respond bc i am told i am her trigger. and i know nothing. so my excuses only add to her upset.
i wonder can someone develop BPD over time bc their issues have never been dealt with prior.
i am confused bc she was not always this way. it has gotten worse as days go on. And the worst part is that i  asked for a divorce before it got bad. now i feel like i make everything worse
i am babbling a bit bc i am confused and i dont know how to proceed.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Naughty Nibbler

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 03:30:54 PM »

Hi dolphin99  - Welcome:

i wonder can someone develop BPD over time bc their issues have never been dealt with prior.
I don't know what the experts say on this, but I tend to agree that people who have untreated or undertreated mental health issues, can evolve into BPD (have enough traits to qualify - 5 or more).  Most people with a BPD diagnosis have other mental health issues.  Depression and anxiety are frequently in the mix. 

Stressful life events can serve to escalate dysfunctional behaviors, and perhaps cause someone to qualify for a BPD diagnosis.  A person doesn't need to have a BPD diagnosis to be difficult to live with, just a couple of the more disturbing traits can make life miserable.

When they say someone is cured of BPD, all that generally means is that they went from between 5-9 of the traits to under 5 of the traits. 

Quote from: dolphin99
i am confused bc she was not always this way. it has gotten worse as days go on. And the worst part is that i  asked for a divorce before it got bad. now i feel like i make everything worse
i am babbling a bit bc i am confused and i dont know how to proceed 
Only you can make that decision.  It might be a good time to get some individual counseling for you.  If you have children, then they need to be considered in your decision.  If you hope to have children, then you need to think that over.

If she can't accept responsibility for her behaviors and agree to get some therapy and possibly meds, the behaviors will probably continue, or perhaps cycle.  Without treatment and cooperation, you would have to radically accept that the behaviors will likely continue. You can't fix someone else, all you can do is learn strategies and communication skills that can make things better for you.

Quote from: dolphin99
I am constantly wrong, insensitive and inhumane bc i do not validate her
It could help you to read info. at the link above for "Don't Invalidate" (Go to the large green band towards the top of the page & find the "Tools" menu).  When they speak of validation here, it relates to validation of feelings.  Never validate things that aren't true.  You can say things like, "I'm sorry you are upset", "It has to be hard for you to have so much anxiety".  What's most important is to NOT invalidate feelings by word, expression, tone or body language.  If it's hard for you to validate feelings, then just don't invalidate them.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest