Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 02:43:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contact from her today. I am trembling.  (Read 797 times)
struggli

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2013, 01:31:45 AM »

OTH,

I read the article, but what do you mean exactly?

I haven't seen her in about 6 months and have only communicated 3 or 4 times via phone/text, the last being over a month ago.  There is no recycling that I can see.

Do you mean: Do I still want to recycle?  Or what will I do if she attempts?

OTH
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Single

It's not too late to make better choices

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 07:09:52 AM »

"I have a hard time with the giving up and moving on."

I really think there is a lot to think about here. How do we "face the facts" so we can do what is healthy for us? When I read your thread you sound like there was something to work out here. You say it wasn't that bad. Is that reality? It sounds horrible to me. You seem to be torturing yourself with the memories of the moments that were good and thinking she could have just worked a bit harder at it and things would be fine. You went through the up and down cycle so many times. There was nothing for her to work out. This is who she is and who she wants to be. How do you get to the point of accepting this?

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=180011.msg12089980#msg12089980

Excerpt
Right now I am being given the silent treatment.  We are in about the 5th or 6th round of the make up break up cycle.  I don't even know how many times it is now because it's starting to get blurry.  It went from distinct break ups to silent treatments, to "I need space" texts, to "I love you so much, let's make this work".

Mary Oliver:  Someone I loved gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift

struggli

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »

"I have a hard time with the giving up and moving on."

I really think there is a lot to think about here. How do we "face the facts" so we can do what is healthy for us? When I read your thread you sound like there was something to work out here. You say it wasn't that bad. Is that reality? It sounds horrible to me. You seem to be torturing yourself with the memories of the moments that were good and thinking she could have just worked a bit harder at it and things would be fine. You went through the up and down cycle so many times. There was nothing for her to work out. This is who she is and who she wants to be. How do you get to the point of accepting this?

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=180011.msg12089980#msg12089980

Excerpt
Right now I am being given the silent treatment.  We are in about the 5th or 6th round of the make up break up cycle.  I don't even know how many times it is now because it's starting to get blurry.  It went from distinct break ups to silent treatments, to "I need space" texts, to "I love you so much, let's make this work".

Oh, I see... .  

Well, I don't know.  It's really weird. 

While the intensity of my feelings have diminished a bit, I still think we'll get back together and everything will be ok.  Maybe the probability of that has dropped, but it's still kind of strong.

And, of course, I mostly tell the bad here -- the things that had me perplexed and distraught.   The other side of this person is the most loving, affectionate, caring person I have ever been in a relationship with.  What is real?

I told my therapist yesterday I have a hard time integrating it all.  I think the "good her" is the "real her" and the seemingly uncaring/distant/fickle part is just a defense mechanism, not a true reflection of who she is.

How do I get to the point of accepting this?

I don't know.   I'm aware that this breakup is really weird from any other breakup I've had with other women.   Usually, there's a sort of standard grieving process I go through, then get on with life.  This one is different in that my mind has been racing, trying to understand, and so on.  Now, part of that may be that I've just learned to cope differently, maybe I've grown up a little.  For instance, this time I vowed not to be with anyone else to fill the feeling of emptiness.  That's a plus, I think.  However, I also never really tried to make intricate sense of a relationship, to analyze, to dissect.

I realize that I am in a sort of trance or something.  People I've told the story to, including my new therapist have extreme reactions of just how f--ked it all is.  But it's all just words to me.  It doesn't reach me.  I feel like they don't get it.  Maybe the emotions/bond where so strong for me that I still can't see it all that objectively.

I spent a lot of time looking for validation that it was all messed up and toxic because something in me knows it is, but somehow my sensor for that became and STILL is very weak. 

Maybe it's some sort of PTSD-like thing?  I don't know.  Hardly anything gets thru to me.  I mean, it's like a tiny sliver at a time.   A hundred people can say ":)ude, that story is the most f--ked up thing I've ever heard" and I hear "Hey, just trying to side with you since you're my friend and I can see you are having a hard time accepting this person didn't stick around.  Let's talk about something else.  Move on bro, don't be so heavy."  I feel like no one gets how important she was to me because I just tell the twisted stuff, so it sounds like there was no incentive ever.  From my perspective, it is VERY hard to let go.

When I met this girl and all seemed perfect, I decided that no obstacles would separate us.  Civilization could collapse and we'd stick together through it.  I don't think I ever considered that obstacle might be her.  But when I realized that might be the case, I still wouldn't give up.

And even now, when I have no idea what she's doing, I still haven't given up.

What do I do to give up?  When will I give up?  I really don't have an answer.  Maybe it's still slowly unraveling in my mind?

OTH
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Single

It's not too late to make better choices

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2013, 09:06:39 AM »

Excerpt
And, of course, I mostly tell the bad here -- the things that had me perplexed and distraught.   The other side of this person is the most loving, affectionate, caring person I have ever been in a relationship with.  What is real?

I told my therapist yesterday I have a hard time integrating it all.  I think the "good her" is the "real her" and the seemingly uncaring/distant/fickle part is just a defense mechanism, not a true reflection of who she is.

Almost everyone on the board can relate to this feeling. That thought that if I could just figure out what causes her to get upset and flip I would have this great relationship. This is a fantasy. The reality is the roller coaster. It is just how she is built. There is no high without the low.

Excerpt
When I met this girl and all seemed perfect, I decided that no obstacles would separate us.  Civilization could collapse and we'd stick together through it.  I don't think I ever considered that obstacle might be her.  But when I realized that might be the case, I still wouldn't give up.

And even now, when I have no idea what she's doing, I still haven't given up.

What do I do to give up?  When will I give up?  I really don't have an answer.  Maybe it's still slowly unraveling in my mind?

You are focused on her and not yourself. Your own emotional health is off. It is good you are talking with a therapist and trying to work through it. It might take some time. You might have to keep trying until it sinks in more. You see her as the solution to your emotional pain. It is a temporary fix not a long term solution. Change is hard. Letting go is hard. There is nothing easy about this.

Mary Oliver:  Someone I loved gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift

BleedsOrange

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »

I dont have time to get to everything in your last post- work and all Smiling (click to insert in post) but something you said struck me. You mention the parts of her. That there is a loving affectionate part and lets face it the absolute uncaring part. While being fickle and distant may not seem so bad, the back and the forth between the two mess you and us up, huh? I think a lot of us have had trouble reconciling these two parts, both in and out of the relationship.

I think that the truth is, that there are no "parts" per se. She is one person- one swingy, swingy person. Instead of trying to reconcile the two parts look at the one part. Yes, she can provide love and affection, but also abuse and pain. If you two get back together, in all likelihood, you will not receive just that part that you want, you will receive the one whole package that she is. So, I think that if you want the love she can provide you have to know that the pain will come too. Are you hoping that you can just get the love? I think that may be a false hope. If you get back together, and she keeps on being who she is now, you will probably have to accept both behaviors. This is of course your choice (well not really, cause she has to want the relationship too). That being the case you have to accept that the relationship is over. She is gone. If reconciling the two "parts" of her is something that holds you back, try and remember that she is a whole person. Just like anyone has a myriad of characteristics. On the chance that you have a chance to get back with her. You need to ask yourself if the love that you receive is worth the pain that you receive and rather that is really love at all. For now, I repeat, accept that it is gone.

As far as your feelings of confusion- your heart not being in synced with your head. Boy is this par for the course, huh? It's almost the theme of this entire board. Don't feel weird about that, brotha! I dont know how many times I've thought about my other breakups. You wanna talk about reconciling. I've had the most trouble reconciling how I acted in these past breakups with the pure douchebaggery I've acted through these ones with her. Have you read about intermittent reinforcement? It helped me feel not so weird about feeling weird. Don't worry. You can turn this into a normal breakup. Mine feels more normal every day... .  well not normal, but just that shes just another ex who was realllllly messed up and who painfully showed me some weaknesses I didnt know I had. Best Wishes and have faith!
BleedsOrange

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2013, 09:47:12 AM »

Sorry, OTH. I didnt catch your last post before I posted. You are always a source of sage advice.
Surnia
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: 8 y married, divorced since 2012-11-22

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2013, 01:24:10 AM »

Staff only

This thread has reached the page limit and is now locked.  Feel free to pick one of the topics from the thread to start a new one.

“Don’t shrink. Don’t puff up. Stand on your sacred ground.”  Brené Brown
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest