Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 09:47:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I present you the BPD apology.  (Read 734 times)
VeganButEatMyMea

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: October 10, 2017, 11:18:13 PM »

Back story: together 5yrs, married 5 months. She cheated, assaulted me, attempted suicide (because her boyfriend at the time broke up with her). I got full custody of our son, I moved us across country. She rarely called him at first (once went 2 months without a single call). She's calling a lot more recently and out of the blue, and without further ado... the BPD apology:

Excerpt
I'm sorry I screwed up so much with you. I miss our son so much all of the time. I'm serious. I'm sorry I was unhappy all of the time and tried to make you unhappy with me. It's obviously something with me. I wish things were different entirely but I know what I did and I know I can't take any of it back. I know you didn't deserve to hurt like that and I know our son didn't deserve to be without both of us. I may seem a little crazy but I know I was a good mom. I love him so much

My neighbor is a retired PHD psychologist. I showed it to him and he said "her apology seems genuine!". I see it differently. I see it as her trying again to make herself out to be the victim. What do you guys think?

Fyi, this was 5 days ago and I still haven't responded
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:44:31 PM »

My story wasn't as dramatic, but after two years I started getting the late night text apologies.  Like,  "I hope you can forgive me for my wrong doings... ." I wish I could change what happened,  etc... .culminating with she asking to come back this past Memorial Day while still married to the guy she left me for 

pwBPD are impulsive,  and have trouble controlling their feelings... .blown by the wind, I'd say.  Based upon my experience,  I'd kind of agree with your neighbor.  However,  she felt what she did then; she feels what she does now,  as did my ex, who chose to work it out with her H not a week after I said she couldn't come back. 

Manipulative? Maybe on the surface,  but more likely survival, as Lawson observed in Understanding The Borderline Mother regarding pwBPD and lying "lying feels like survival."

So I think the apology of the mother of my kids was genuine.  I granted her forgiveness,  several times so much that while it was initially validating,  it became annoying. 

I think this is best processed in thinking "what's best for us?"

It's ok to validate her feelings... .then release her with grace.  Then release ourselves with grace, free from the probable obligations we may have felt while in the r/s.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
CottonClouds

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 12:52:32 AM »

I don't think it really matters if she is playing the victim or being genuine. I think what matters most is that you don't reply or let her know your new whereabouts.

Whether she is being sincere or not is hard to decipher from a nonverbal message, but I place my bets on that she is trying to manipulate you. She clearly focuses the message on her son, but she is addressing you. Weird. She probably still holds great resentment for you and would not make it easy for you if she visits.

I suspect she wants to get custody of your son and she might do that by blaming you of abuse. This is usually the tactic BPD exes use to get custody. If you don't let her get close enough to your new life it will be hard for her to blame you for anything/sound the least bit convincing. 

Best of luck,
~CottonClouds
Hisaccount

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 07:37:52 AM »

I agree it doesn't matter.

I never got apologies until after the divorce. I saw it as gearing up for a recycle or just a path to more manipulation with her trying to get what she wants from me.

Don't open that door. You know where it leads. Follow your heart. You see it as her playing games and I would bet you are correct.

flourdust

Relationship status: In the process of divorce after 12 year marriage

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 08:07:42 AM »

Wow, lots of assumptions being made there, CC!

I tend to agree with Turkish and your neighbor. The simplest explanation is that she experienced a burst of shame and remorse and wrote the apology. She may have also wanted a bit of validation for writing it -- some reassurance from you that she is forgiven or not that bad.

That was her feeling at the time. It sounds like she has a lot of emotional instability, which means her feelings could be different now, or different next week, or ... .you get the idea.

Are you going to respond? You mentioned you have full custody, but does she have any contact or visitation rights that she may be hinting she wants to exercise?

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 08:30:51 AM »

Staff only

Just a reminder... .this is an advanced board.  It's understandable that many of us go through a bitter stage, but we ask members to keep emotional thinking on the Crises board.

VeganButEatMyMea

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 03:46:14 PM »

Thanks for all of your replies.

I can't and won't respond right now. 1 message is not convincing enough to move me to that. Now if she showed weeks/months of remorse I may say something. We are a ways away from that.

Honestly my initial thought when I got that text was "huh, looks like she got dumped again". It's been 5 days and zero follow up. Looks like that thought has passed and who knows how she "feels" now.

She knows my location. Tried to move out here a couple months ago and I didn't let her. My full custody is through a restraining order right now. She's only allowed supervised visitation. On Tuesday my lawyer filed a motion, here in AZ, to amend family court custody (50/50) which will be in effect when my restraining order expires next March.
Stripey77

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 04:10:15 PM »

I wouldn't be too cynical. Parking for a moment ALLLLL the many negative and awful things we know about our exes and the way BPD makes them behave, we have to remember that not EVERY single thing they do is bad/negative/a lie... .etc. Sometimes they are actually telling the truth based on how they feel in that moment. My ex (who I think may have finally discarded me, but who knows... .it's our 4th cycle of ghosting from him) locked me in a toilet last year after 5 months of ghosting, and essentially shouldered all the blame for everything that had happened. He told me that the problem was in his brain, nothing I had done, that there is a darkness in his brain that had taken over... .I remember it word for word and have recounted it on these pages before.  On other occasions, during bursts of lucidity and self awareness, he has told me I should 'forget and hate' him, that he doesn't deserve me, that I'm a wonderful person and he isn't my happiness.

The point I am making is that if we take on board so many of the nasty, horrible things that they have said to us, or at least accept that this is how they felt in that moment, then why not for the more positive or self deprecating? She may not be trying to manipulate you, she may actually have really felt those things when she wrote them. My ex is by no means stupid, he is, by his words, suffering from a darkness in his brain, as are all of yours. Sometimes, little chinks of self awareness do get through - the ones they are so often trying to push away with drink/drugs/promiscuity... take your pick.

Accept what is,
Let go of what was
and have faith in what will be.
oshinko maki

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 05:26:15 PM »

Maybe they can have a kind of lucid moment where they actually feel remorse, but then and forever thereafter they will, at least my BPDw did, deny ever having made the apology.
Words are cheap. Protect your child.
g2outfitter

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 05:50:12 PM »

... .1 message is not convincing enough to move me to that. Now if she showed weeks/months of remorse I may say something. We are a ways away from that.

Honestly my initial thought when I got that text was "huh, looks like she got dumped again". It's been 5 days and zero follow up. Looks like that thought has passed and who knows how she "feels" now.

Exactly... .you have it figured out. Good for you.
Circle

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 01:55:51 PM »

You are changing custody to 50/50, from 100% yours? May I ask why; just curious.
SummerStorm

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 10:08:22 AM »

I agree with what others have said.  There were moments when my ex-friend would clearly be remorseful and would openly admit the wrongs she'd done.  She once told me that she knows that she put me through "evil times."  And while it's certainly nice that she felt that way at that moment, it doesn't mean that she felt that way five minutes later.  In fact, the day after her "evil times" admission, she was defensive and cold towards me. 

Ultimately, while the apology might be sincere and genuine, it doesn't mean that it's long-lasting or that she won't go and do the same things all over again. 

So when will this end it goes on and on/Over and over and over again/Keep spinning around I know that it won't stop/Till I step down from this for good - Lifehouse "Sick Cycle Carousel"
AnuDay

Relationship status: Almost Recovered

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »

I agree with Turk, Stripey, and Summerstorm here.
The BPDs truly mean what they say and do at that particular point in time.  I have done the "catch and release" as Turk calls it.  It actually feels good and goes well to validate the BPDs feelings without commitment.  I don't have to get trapped in the FOG or feel guilty for her bad feelings or even go back and forth in circular arguments.  I simply acknowledge her feelings and then move on with my life, my plan, whatever I was doing, etc.  I don't think too deeply about what they feel or say at the moment because I know that that will change soon.  It's just a way that I stay sane.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest