Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 02:52:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Controlling out of control  (Read 185 times)
Todo89
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: February 03, 2024, 10:47:11 AM »

My spouse’s borderline episodes are controlling our life. We live in a constant state of ”reactive” to chaos. We are rarely able to make plans or keep them. Triggers are always lurking around the corner, and just when I think we are doing well and recovering from an intense episode, another one pops its ugly head up. My partner has no professional help with her disorder. She feels that she is beyond help, and has been traumatized so many times by professionals, such that I am afraid to ever make any suggestions for fear that she will think I only want her re-traumatized. We both need hope, guidance, and direction. I am losing myself in trying to help her find hers. I found this site through reading Rachel Reiland and Randy Krueger, and I’m  hoping there are still resources here after seeing the last post was nearly 6 years ago. If anyone is still watching the site or knows of a newer one that will connect me to a community that can help, please let me know. I love my wife more than anything and feel desperate to help her and our whole family find peace and freedom from the chaos and darkness.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

jaded7

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: unclear

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 08:30:52 PM »

My spouse’s borderline episodes are controlling our life. We live in a constant state of ”reactive” to chaos. We are rarely able to make plans or keep them. Triggers are always lurking around the corner, and just when I think we are doing well and recovering from an intense episode, another one pops its ugly head up. My partner has no professional help with her disorder. She feels that she is beyond help, and has been traumatized so many times by professionals, such that I am afraid to ever make any suggestions for fear that she will think I only want her re-traumatized. We both need hope, guidance, and direction. I am losing myself in trying to help her find hers. I found this site through reading Rachel Reiland and Randy Krueger, and I’m  hoping there are still resources here after seeing the last post was nearly 6 years ago. If anyone is still watching the site or knows of a newer one that will connect me to a community that can help, please let me know. I love my wife more than anything and feel desperate to help her and our whole family find peace and freedom from the chaos and darkness.

This site is very much active, with many posts a day. You'll find some good listening ears here and a lot of support. Read through a bunch of post and responses, some very good advice to be had from other people's experiences as well.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 10:37:21 AM »

Hi Todo89, I'd like to join jaded7 in welcoming you to the site  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

It's insightful of you to be able to acknowledge this:

My spouse’s borderline episodes are controlling our life. We live in a constant state of ”reactive” to chaos.

I read you writing "our" and "we" -- this is a family dynamic, not "just her issue".

We're glad you reached out, because even when the pwBPD (person with BPD) can't, won't, or doesn't engage in treatment, the other family members can make meaningful changes that improve the relational dynamic.

So don't lose heart. Even if right now your W isn't in therapy, you can still do things 100% under your control, that don't require her agreement or cooperation, to make changes.

One of the more unintuitive parts of caring for someone with BPD is related to this:

We both need hope, guidance, and direction. I am losing myself in trying to help her find hers. 

It's like trying to save a drowning person in choppy waves when you have no lifejacket, no raft, no rope to throw, and nobody coming in as backup. It doesn't help pwBPD for you to lose yourself trying to save them! The most helpful thing you can do is to work on yourself and your own health and stability, including learning and applying new tools, skills, and approaches.

In order to understand your situation a bit more, I'm curious -- how long have you and your W been together? Do you have any kids? And have things always been "this bad", or was there a time when things were more stable? Any big incidents (death, moving, divorce, job loss, etc) happen during your marriage?

As you settle in here, take a look at our section of articles on When a partner, spouse or girlfriend has Borderline Personality Disorder. I'd be interested to hear what resonates with you.

-kells76
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest