Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 05, 2024, 12:09:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: should I use an unlicensed therapist?  (Read 430 times)
LuckyNicki

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 23, 2014, 05:33:44 PM »

So I contacted a therapist that will run me around $140 a session zZz.

Thats a bit much but she said that her interns who she supervises that are unlicensed but have completed 3000 hours of clinical work will run me at a more affordable hourly, which is $50.

Any warnings or advice regarding using an unlicensed therapist intern?   

Thank you bpdfamily.

numb_buddha

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 05:38:52 PM »

So I contacted a therapist that will run me around $140 a session zZz.

Thats a bit much but she said that her interns who she supervises that are unlicensed but have completed 3000 hours of clinical work will run me at a more affordable hourly, which is $50.

Any warnings or advice regarding using an unlicensed therapist intern?   

Thank you bpdfamily.

Of course it depends on the intern and the skills they bring to the table. When it comes to something like BPD, however, I would be skeptical that the intern would know enough about it. That said, you could teach them a lot.  Smiling (click to insert in post)
LuckyNicki

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 05:41:27 PM »

Funny you say I can teach them a lot.  I feel like I know so much about BPD.  Lol. I've literally spent last few months reading about it.  

Sadly there were days where I was in bed all day reading about it.   ooh the things love makes you do.

Unleashed

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:48:51 PM »

We saw marriage counselors.

#1) unlicensed, ok, but did not really recognize and fix anything, very low cost.

#2) licensed, cocky, pro woman, idealistic, lacking in knowledge, actually gets stumped by me= bad, high cost.

#3) licensed, doctorate fellow, near retirement, pretty well saw divorce and said it very quickly.

Apart from that I place little value in licensing. I'd assess the individual.  3000 hours is a lot.  Was reading a counselor's magazine once (early for T appointment... . ) and read an opinion that the rookies think they can label and fix everything.  The older ones accept the limits of repairs.  I think that it true, accept it for what it's worth.  Also, despite my christian leanings, be careful getting a religious counselor, i.e. one who is providing a spiritual service and cannot charge insurances.  That track of counselors can vary widely, if you get a bad one, the advice may be idealistic and authoritative.  Not only inconsistent with my faith, but un-doable.  Only accept advice which can actually manifest in your heart and actions.

Licensed counselors may get in the insurance, but the intern's $40/hr rate is a co-pay = about the same.
iluminati

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 01:54:59 PM »

IIRC, there's no laws about who can call themselves a psychotherapist.  Now there are licenses for being a licensed clinical social worker, but that has nothing to do with therapy, per se.  Granted, you would prefer the more experienced person, but everyone has to start somewhere.

He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.~ Matthew 5:45
Lamaiel

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 02:21:28 PM »

Therapists are most definitely not created equal, we all know that.  For me, the best avenue to find a therapist is via referrals and recommendations.  Talk to a few people you trust and see if you can gather some information. 

In my area (Midwest) it seems your typical therapist charges around 100-140 bucks an hour.  Many times you can use that as a gauge of quality.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest