Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 03, 2024, 09:34:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD Daughter/Triggers of BPD Mom  (Read 371 times)
KHC_33

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: November 22, 2018, 08:44:55 AM »

Morning.
I have been feeling in a lull since last week with bits of sparks. The deep intense heaviness/aggravation/emptiness is hitting me wide spread. The more I read these BPD books to help educate myself with my daughter, the more I feel like I am being triggered and suffocated with emotions and feelings. I have not felt this since I was a child with my BPD mom.

I have started online counseling. Not extremely happy about paying $ out of pocket. I don't want to. I am at the point where I know I need to. I am disappointed, frustrated because I don't need extra $ to be spent. I can't keep going the way I am mentally. I feel broke.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 12:00:51 PM »

Hi KHC.  Yeah, I can see how your daughters behavior and recent diagnosis would be very triggering.  A lot of emotions are going to come up that is to be expected, and I would say it is almost normal in the sense that any unprocessed hurts or trauma within you is going to be exposed.

I also get being angry about this happening... .all of it.  And having to confront the past again.  Can you also see the benefit of these triggers right now?  How they can help you heal the wounds that happened long ago?  See them as opportunities rather than or in addition to burdens?

I am glad you are getting professional help.  Is there a reason in person counseling is not an option?

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
KHC_33

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 12:37:37 PM »

Yes you are right on all accounts. In person is difficult because I am Deaf. Interpreters aren't always provided or available. I can't travel much in the cold (Canada winter here!). Easier just to do it online.
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 12:47:38 PM »

Oh, that does make in person counseling more difficult.  It upsets me that interpreters are not readily available though. 

I hope as these challenges come up for you you will continue to post in addition to counseling.  I found the combination of counseling and the work I did on the board had much better results than either alone.

What is coming up for you now?  A memory?  A feeling?

KHC_33

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 03:45:58 PM »

I had my first session today. I feel like I have someone that truly understands what I want. I want to be able to change, to understand, to be able to make sense of everything. I felt validated greatly. At first I was upset with the amount but now I realize it is unlimited (sessions) our next session is tomorrow 10am. I am ever so excited. Now the question is Dec 12 will I be able to continue at the reduced rate the site gave me. I truly hope so because I have a good feeling about this. I am learning to be honest. Not only to my daughter but to myself. Sometimes kids with BPD we avoid being truthful why we met or went and did an activity (that they didn't like or don't tolerate). I am learning to allow myself to take responsibility and accountability for my actions/responses as my daughter too. Often time we tip toe to avoid the backlash. We feed the monster. I have much to learn. My counselor says it's awareness and once the 'lights go on' and change is inevitable. You can't unlearn it. Growth is on the horizon. I will keep coming back. I need to.
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 05:24:50 PM »

kay, so the first therapy session sounds like it went great and I am happy about that. 

Excerpt
We feed the monster.
I agree that a lot of the behaviors we instinctively go to will make things worse.  I also agree that tip-toeing around and avoiding does more harm than good.  I am very glad your counselor will be supporting you as you work your way through this.

Excerpt
My counselor says it's awareness and once the 'lights go on' and change is inevitable. You can't unlearn it. Growth is on the horizon. I will keep coming back. I need to.
Yes.  I agree with this too.   Congratulations on starting the process!

KHC_33

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 07:18:00 PM »

Thank you. It's so difficult at times. I am thrilled I met my counselor today. Having someone to talk and walk thru everything. Especially all the stages, emotions and processes.

Today all things are quiet from my daughter. It's almost eerie. I struggle back and forth mentally waiting for crisis to form.

She's currently at college doing a program. I haven't heard from her all day. Only 8am this morning. Hard not to get my own feelings wrapped into there. Is she mad? She doesn't need me? Is she okay? Maybe something happened? What if she is... .? I can't be joint into her (mentally) I am my own self and person. This road has been paved for years. Dropping everything on her whim. Preparing, waiting and reacting. I mean I do have my own life but it was always planned around her.

It's different feeling not having chaos every day or multiple times a day.

I managed to do one client today. Very proud. Tomorrow again one client. I am scared with the income situation. I cannot afford not to keep booking but mentally I can't handle more dogs to train. I have 12 clients to remake sessions with/an hour each. I feel so behind. Everyone ensures me it's okay. They are fine with it. I definitely don't want to go into Jan behind! December people are starting to prep for Christmas. I am nervous that I will shut down altogether and not be able to continue or if I don't gain clientele.

Money is on my mind to say the least. Downright heart breaking spending 1,400 for the week to ensure my daughter has the help and support she needed with me in a hotel close by. I was so close to finally getting ahead! One crisis after another trying to get caught up.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest