Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 09, 2024, 09:03:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am hitting an cutting myself don’t know what to do  (Read 2653 times)
Pook075
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2023, 11:00:43 AM »

Hi Sam.  One thing we may not have said in depth is that all of us have been exactly where you are right now.  We didn't have answers and it felt like our world was falling apart.  We had no idea what to do or where to turn.  So please understand that we're speaking from experience when we say that you will get through this.  Everyone here is testament to that.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

sam_the_wise

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2023, 12:12:10 PM »

That’s a great story. I think I can apply it by not letting her hurt my self worth anymore by expecting or putting any effort in proving to her that I am a good man. I will just do what I want and be happy.

Funny thing is if she listens this story she will call me donkey in it.
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2023, 01:23:28 PM »

That’s a great story. I think I can apply it by not letting her hurt my self worth anymore by expecting or putting any effort in proving to her that I am a good man. I will just do what I want and be happy.

Funny thing is if she listens this story she will call me donkey in it.

So now starts not letting her dominate your thoughts. Even with the remark...I fully understand your intent. However, you have got stop worrying about what she thinks and how she feels all of the time. When you do that you just create too much weight upon you and a mountain of anxiety.

You have to take control over you and give yourself the power. How you do this is by not mentioning her as much and not intertwining her into discussion at every turn. While your comment looks and appears harmless enough the point is to not give her so much real estate in your mind. Make sense?

Cheers and Best Wishes!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
Pook075
Ambassador

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2023, 01:27:31 PM »

Even with the remark...I fully understand your intent.

I fully agree, this isn't about "what she might think".  Your focus needs to be on "what's best for Sam's mental health", regardless of what she thinks.  You do you brother.

I remember a similar story with my BPD daughter.  A neighbor had a pit bull that stayed in their yard on a chain.  And every day, my daughter would tease the dog on her way home from school knowing she was safe.  Everyone would yell at her saying, "Stop it!  That's mean and the dog is going to bite you."  Not just my wife and I, but even other parents and kids younger than her.  We all knew what was going to happen.

One day, my kid gets off the bus and heads toward the dog, making fun of it and taunting it.  You already know what happened...the dog's chain wasn't fully extended, he lunged at her, and bit her hand.  But you probably can't predict the rest of the story, not yet anyway.

My kid ran home crying, the neighbors ran to help, and before long everyone was angry.  Why was a mean dog on a chain near a bus stop?  Why did the owner not take better care of his animal?  Why hasn't the city removed that vicious dog?  One neighbor actually called the local news station, while others called animal control.  The dog was taken and scheduled to be put down.

In this story Sam, you are the Pit Bull on the leash.  And like so many of us, maybe you had a big bark or a hard bite once or twice.  But the problem was never the dog, or the chain, or the owner, or the bus stop...it was a kid who thought it was funny to be cruel to animals.  Before that incident, I had walked up to that dog and pet it dozens of times.  He was a good boy.  Yet somehow, my kid got all the love and sympathy once the dog did exactly what dogs do when they're mistreated.

There's only one difference from you and the pit bull- your chain is imaginary.  It doesn't exist.  You don't have to just accept the abuse while pointing the finger at yourself.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 01:45:12 PM by Pook075 » Logged
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest