Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 04:11:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Twisted-up Heart and Broken Spirit ; Am I Crazy ?  (Read 382 times)
Artisan

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: June 05, 2014, 12:05:26 PM »

This may be a lengthy story. Please forgive me and be patient.

I've not had anybody to speak to about these incidents except my parents. And I have not shared everything.

Thank goodness for the semi-anonymous nature of the internet. Smiling (click to insert in post)

I have questions, and rather than make assumptions ... . I am hoping that some of you may assist in my understanding.

I'm a 38 year old male. And, I admit that I have personality quirks ... . I'm not perfect, I am simply a human being.

I am sincere, kind-hearted, loving, caring, patient ... .

And so is the woman I have been seeing for a year and a half. We have been engaged, though I broke it off when I moved out in November.

You might wonder why I am still on the fence ... . I love her. And, its not something I am able to turn off.

I question the quality of our life together, and my own health and sanity.

She is the most amazing woman I've ever known ; and she is also the most confusing. I will refer to her as 'H.'

Until meeting this woman I felt like a sane person ; I know that I have my own personal issues to address (who doesnt) ... . and I own and take responsibility for that, and act to improve my life.

Before I met H, my life was in transition. There has been deaths in the family, unemployment, and normal life stress. All of which, I had been addressing and moving forward with on my own. My finances were limited, though my heart, faith and spirit were so strong that I knew I could succeed. Afterall, I have succeeded and been prosperous in my life before H.

When I met H, she knew that my life was in transition. Mostly, I am just developing my career ... . and I had decided to move to the town and live with H.

I specifically decided to move to this town to live with her ... . otherwise, I could've chosen anywhere. Literally. Working on the internet is awesome.

And I knew her life was also in transition. She was finalizing a divorce, their house was selling, and she claims it was just a highly stressful time.

So we were both starting from a place of vulnerability, transition and little stability.

And everything appeared awesome at first.

She does so much that is right, loving and kind.

When I moved in with her, within the first few days:

- She accused me of wanting to ___ strangers.

- She told me that I would ___ my friends.

- She yelled at me for eating food (that I had paid for.)

- She screams at her kids.

- She stands in the kitchen and yells about how nobody loves her while slamming dishes around and cleaning them.

You can imagine, that was pretty stressful to encounter after moving in.

There was ZERO sign of this type of emotional behavior before hand.

However, I give her the benefit of the doubt ; forgive ... . and move on.

Over the course of the next few months:

- She tells me that she hates me, and to leave.

- She tells me that I am perfect for her, and that she loves me.

- She tells me that I am going to ___ one of my students (who is 67 years old.)

- She tells me that I am not a man, that she wears the pants in the house.

- She screams at me that I hate her.

- She denies that she says things (gaslighting)

- She mocks me for having a good relationship with both of my parents (are you going to talk to your MOMMY AND DADDY now? ) ... . and this chat with them maybe once a week ?

- She accuses me of giving women emotional attention (emotional cheating) - so I stopped talking to any woman ; and I LITERALLY have no female friends ... . I used to. I honestly don't even have any MALE friends now either.

- She accuses me of humiliating her in public with how I write. If she knew I was on this board, she'd flip out at me.

- She accuses me of sharing private details with everybody. And I admit that I have shared some things with my parents that, in retrospect, I wish I hadn't. Though I have not been a person who has been walking around gossiping about her ; I have protected her.

When I try to explain how I feel, she accuses me of attacking her, humiliating her, shaming her and putting guilt trips on her. This is after she told me that I am a great communicator ... . and I know that talking about hurt feelings isn't comfortable ... . I use all the I language, take personal responsibility, and adjust.

And there are some really scary things that happened that I need reassurance about and to understand before living with her again.

Oh ... . and yes, I did move out.

7 times. The last time, I moved out of state ... . and though we keep in touch and I have been doing what I know to maintain communication ... . of course nothing helps.

Some of the things that occurred :

- She is beating herself on the face screaming at the top of the lungs, with the windows open, that I am abusing her. I hold her wrists to stop her, and this bruises her wrists.

- If I disagreed with her ; she rage at me.

- Once, I named the modem-network 'Sanctuary.' I got woke up the following morning with FURIOUS screaming (I mean RAGE) ... . to change the network name because her friend (who she accused me of wanting to sleep with) ... . liked the word Sanctuary.

- On my birthday she accused me of wanting to ___ some woman. She screams at me until 3 am ; I ask her to stop so many times and she refuses that I end up locking myself in the bathroom, huddled under the shower, plugging my ears and letting the water hit my head so that I couldn't hear her.

- When I'd go to work, she'd accuse me of enjoying being away from her so much.

- Yet ... . when I was actually hit on by women at work (and it really bothered me) and I brought it to her ... . she didn't care.

- Once I had coffee with a friend I've had for four years ; I was accused of going out on a date and ___ing her.

- Because of the chaos at home, I ended up staying at a friends house sometimes. I did move out, 7 times in total. 6 of those times, it was to one of my yoga students houses ... . she had an extra bedroom and I know the family ; so it was good for me to be there.

... . what else was I going to do when being screamed at that she HATES ME and to LEAVE ?

- She claims I have isolated her from my friends ; what I have introduced her to my friends she has said that she didn't like them, or that I would ___ them. It feels like a damned if I do, damned if I don't.

- When I talk about my emotions ; she just says I am wrong. I am making things up. I am manipulating her. I am distorting things.

... . and when she gets going she calls me CRAZY, ABUSIVE and BROKEN.

... . she also tells me that I am only focusing on the negative, and to forget the past and live in the moment. (which, I am doing in this post by writing what has disturbed me rather than gushing about the awesome things that she does and who she is.)

... . and that I should be unconditionally loving.

Nobody in my whole life has talked to me like that.

------ There is more yet I am unable to remember all the little things. ----------

Now, I am a man who has been cheated on. I know how that feels. However, I have never accused anybody of cheating on me ; if they were cheating, I got proof and ended it. SO I understand the fear and anxiety.

I have, in my ENTIRE LIFE, only ever been loyal ... . never once have I cheated. (Although, from her perspective I have been an emotional cheater forever... . )

I consider myself an honest person ; I do my best to share my perspective, feelings and experiences with open-hearted integrity. And when I make mistakes, though it can be hard to listen, I DO LISTEN ... .

Though when listening to her ... . I have adjusted myself into a pretzel and don't know how to unravel.

I feel as if I do nothing right.

I am exhausted from having to defend myself against false accusations.

I am weary from having to navigate emotional blow-ups about stuff that makes zero sense. (example ; the modem-network name ... . )

I don't know what to do to move forward with her.

I know that if I go back, it'll be chaos.

I know that I love her, and think about her daily.

Yet at this point she is still accusing me of all kinds of socializing and partying (... . my mother had a stroke and I have been with my parents helping with rehab and housework ... . I am not even the party type anyways, I prefer sobriety.)

She accuses me of lying.

Of manipulation.

Of hiding relationships.

Going out on dates.

And, she tells me she has been faithful, honest and loyal ... . then I find an image of her ... . on a date. And she claims it isn't a date ... . and the guy has his arm wrapped around her.

Once, I played my hand on the shoulder of one of my students and congratulated them ... . and H was standing there and claimed I was all over that person and ... . (drum roll please) that I wanted to ___ them.

I just can't wrap my mind around these things ; I have been trying to understand what happened, what I did that was so wrong.

After being told that I am broken so many times, and crazy, and that my emotions are wrong and that I am not a man and that I am a manwhore and unreliable ... . lets just say that I am in a great deal of pain and that I have been working with a lot of anger issues and questions.

Am I crazy ?

Though I am not a mental health professional ... . and I strongly resist the idea of diagnosing anybody ... .

Is she BPD ?

... . She hates both of her parents. Claims that they are liars, and cheats. Her dad was a schizophrenic, and her mother neglected her and was never around. Her parents were divorced when she was little. And she saw her mother sleep around on her step-father. Her father used to take her to bars and strip clubs (ahhh, the 70s) ... .

Am I BPD ?

I certainly feel broken after this relationship, worthless, and unloveable.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

PS, Please understand that I love this woman. She has been amazing for me in so many ways. When I explain it to her, I say that I love her and that our dynamic is wrecking me.

And when I say dynamic, I mean what she and I both contribute to make this thing happen. So, I have been working on what I can for myself ... . and the dynamic has improved somewhat ... . though not really.
Artisan

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:35:37 PM »

This link was helpful : https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=150575.0

I am amazed at how many things she has said to me that are listed in that thread.

- Comparisons to her ex husband.

- You hate me.

- Stop screaming at me. (Said the first minute or so after I'd start sharing my emotions, which yes ... . frustrated tone but certainly not screaming or loud.)

- You are my perfect lover.

- You don't love me. You hate me. You put everybody else before me.

- I'm just a worthless piece of ___.

- I am just expressing my emotions.

And the variety of accusations for being a cheater ... .

ALTHOUGH IN TRUTH WHAT BOTHERS ME THE MOST IS MY OWN BEHAVIOR.

I reached a boiling point and raged at her in email.

Our last interaction left me feeling so overwhelmed and over the top that I told her for the first time ever that I hate her.

I don't hate her. I do love her.

Though I am wondering if that is splitting ?

How is it that I can feel so much attraction and repulsion ?

How is it that my body was shaking so hard when I'd leave and after the fights ?

How is it that I ended up with sharp chest pains (she'd put me down for it) ?

I've said that to two people in my entire life.
woodsposse

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:45:38 PM »

Welcome

Wow.  I read through your entire post - and let me share a few things with you.  First... . you are at the right place at the right time! You are among members who know exactly what you are going through (I personally have gone through almost everything you wrote word for word).  It is not a great spot to be in at the moment, but don't worry - it does and can get better.

No one here will be able to diagnose her for you - but from the sounds of it, it certainly sounds (at the very least) you guys have a toxic dysfunctional relationship.  (but my money is on BPD).   

It sounds to me like you all are no longer together?  If that is the case, are you making sure you take time to take care of yourself? You have to eat and get plenty of sleep.  If you are still together, well... . eat and sleep too!  It does a body good.

There are great resources here - members who share and articles to read.  But if you could, just clarify the path you are on (if you are still together, you want to try and work it out, etc) - maybe can point you in a gooder direction.

Either way - stay, post, read and know you are not alone!
Artisan

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »

It was certainly a dysfunctional relationship ! And, I feel horrible for wanting to blame her ... . yet I also know that I am unable / unwilling to take full responsibility for what happened. That is where it gets confusing ... .

I moved out of her place 6 months ago. It's telling that I call it her place, and not ours ... .

My parents have a cottage on their land, so I moved into it over the holidays just to have space.

She and I spoke over skype most days, almost every single day ; though when I reach the over-the-top anger and frustration phase I withdraw completely.

She tells me that I keep dredging up the past, and that I should just commit to the relationship.

I would love to go further, and refuse to until addressing the scary things that happened and comprehending how to move forward with health peace and stability.

So, I bring up the past IN AN ATTEMPT to express my emotions. Eg, When this thing happened ... . I felt like this and as a result, I feel not trusted.  The 'not trusted' and emotional expression gets hammered, and she starts analyzing the event. So, I don't know how to express myself ... . I just get shut down.

And in the meantime, though we have not been together physically ... . I am not dating, I am not seeing anybody, I have not been making friends.

The only thing I have done here is work, play video games and be with my parents. I've been better at self-nurturing.

For myself, I am doing better ; the eating and sleeping was a real problem for the first three months. I'd not eat for days at a time, and I'd sleep until 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

Now, I am back to what is more normal for me, up early ... . doing yoga ... . practicing music ... . prepping food ... . getting out in nature ... . performing music. I'm trying, though progress is slow.

I am having a real hard time allowing myself to feel not guilty.

... . for abandoning her.

... . For loving her in the first place, and the dream being shattered.

... . I feel guilty for FEELING BETTER HERE and by myself than I did with her.

... . And I miss her intensely b/c of the common interests, talents, and awesome sex.

And every time I start to feel better I feel hopeful, get back in touch with her, and we start the whole cycle.

What fascinates me is that the communication and emotional dynamic operates the same way with distance as it does in person.

Except, there is no sex ... . which really sucks in some ways and is epic awesome in others for the clarity it provides.

Artisan

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 02:01:10 PM »

What I miss most in me is the sense of faith, vitality and sheer love of life that I had in abundance before her. I was traveling the world, performing music in all kinds of venues, meeting people and just living.

I had been working with grief from two recent deaths in the family, so I know my spirit has been shadowed ; yet the sense of sheer hopelessness, depression and fury that I now feel is far beyond anything like grief.

woodsposse

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 03:47:06 PM »

I totally understand everything you just posted.  I mean... . everything.  Even down to how emotions and communication feel the exact same even over the phone or whatever.  There are valid reasons why this happens, and part of it is because that is how the r/s builds itself out - and even though you are on the phone, or Skype... . the conflict is so ingrained and enmeshed in you distance doesn't matter.

I suggest checking out the Leaving board. [L3] Leaving: Disengaging from a Partner with Borderline Personality There is information there which can help you understand the 10 common misconceptions that most of us struggle with as we disengage and look at ways to deal with them.

Hopeless777

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 12:01:24 AM »

I'm 56, two weeks separated (for the third time recycled), married 27 years and everything that's happened to you, happened to me. Read my message thread under "I've Been Punished Enough". I'm lost in my head and sometimes think I'm the one who's sick... . maybe I am. I have the therapists bills to prove it certainly. I love my gorgeous wife, but can no longer live with her for all the reasons and episodes you so eloquently describe. I've been on this board for over six months and see little hope in these relationships. Drugs help me sleep; work helps me cope; my grown children are a blessing. God seems far away. I have no answers only pain AND perseverance that tomorrow will be a better day than today. Be tough and determined.

But God does not just sweep life away; instead, He devises ways to bring us back when we have been separated from Him. 2 Samuel 14:14(b) NLT
Artisan

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 06:45:47 PM »

Does it ever get any better ?

I see people say things like 27 years and ... . wow.

The biggest resistance I have to staying is that I couldn't live a life with all the emotional anarchy that happens.

When life is good, its F'ing AWESOME.

When the emotional poo hits the fan, its just chaos and I'd rather be anywhere else.

Been reading through the links and other information on this site ;

And I have to wonder if I'm BPD ?

As a non, do I learn BPD traits ?

woodsposse

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 07:49:45 PM »

We all can have some traits which resemble those in the BPD list.  So just because we have some of them, doesn't mean you have the disorder... . plus it is a 'over time" thing which can also have you look towards seeing if there is the PD at work.

All of us, from time to time, can get depressed.  Situational depression is normal and common (a death of a loved one, loss of a job, etc).  but that doesn't necessaritly mean you suffer from depression.

Also, living with someone with a PD like BPD, you can start to pick up some of the behaviors because, if for no other reasons, you are living inside of the chaos and one thing leads to another and some of the cycle mimics back on you (it's called crazy making behaviors).

All I know is this, now that I know what I have been dealing with, it is much easier (going forward) to make sure my boundaries are in check, and I know what I will allow in my life and what I won't.

When I was younger, I did a lot of impulsive things. I got married to my first wife after only having known her a few months.  Man, was that a mistake.  Even though I knew it didn't feel right, I still went ahead and did it and tried to logic my way through problems with her. That was totally my fault because I should have known better.  But I kept going back to her (we ended up with three kids pretty much back to back... . which is probably one of the main reasons I stayed connected to her).

I'll never do that again.

My second wife took me about 4 years (and a few recycles) to finally marry.  And after 13 years of a lot of ups and downs we finally split.  But the after shock of the split was probably the worse (as I'm still in the detachment phase... . and some days are better than others... . which means some days are still bad. But it's a work in progress).

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest