Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 06:29:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I decided today that I was going to call her bluff on the recycling  (Read 562 times)
RomanticFool

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 06, 2017, 05:23:10 AM »

A while back and before the split, I was with my ex and she suddenly sat in the corner and started crying and whimpering. We had just been having sex so it was very disconcerting. That night we walked across Chelsea bridge and I took a photo of her and asked her if she liked the view, she said not really as she was considering throwing herself off the bridge. This was a weekend that I had been looking forward to for ages. Just before we met up she picked a fight with me over something and then threatened not to tell me where the hotel was.

She has been doing push/pull since Saturday night. I had one message from her today which went, 'I always enjoy Vegas too' which was a jibe at me having been over there. She clearly forgot I told her I was going a few months ago.

I decided today that I was going to call her bluff on the recycling. I think she is contacting me as 'maintenance' as Rayban put it. So I said to her, does she want to get back together as she has contacted me 3 times. That resulted in the one text. I asked her how she was, the reply was, 'Not good.'

I have no interest in recycling the r/s but I am now saying things that I know will make her run. She has contacted me 3 times in the last 9 weeks when I asked her for NC. I am going to block her on WhatsApp, because like you, I am tired of going through the whole thing again every time she contacts me.

What I have learnt in this forum is making me slowly detach. I was less affected by her contact today than I have been. I just want her to go and leave me in peace. I didn't want to have to block her on WhatsApp because I don't know what it will trigger in me, but it looks like I will have to.

Hope you get a good night's sleep.

Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 06:08:55 AM »

I have no interest in recycling the r/s but I am now saying things that I know will make her run. She has contacted me 3 times in the last 9 weeks when I asked her for NC. I am going to block her on WhatsApp, because like you, I am tired of going through the whole thing again every time she contacts me.

RM,

Please don't play with her emotions to get even. Every time she reaches out to you, you lash out at her and your own comfort level with the situation seems to improve. That is the "push/pull". She feels you bully her to get your way. When that doesn't work, she feels you abandon to get your way.

A lot of people are being seriously abused in this "affair". I know that is a bit in your face, but I intend it with kindness. You can't dress it up any other way or say that the innocent spouses deserve it.  And, as you have said on a number of occasions, your attraction to he is mostly physical / sexual.

You have also referred to it as "unconditional love" but none of the interfaces with her over the last month have been loving... .nor are you descriptions or her or situations.

I was with my ex and she suddenly sat in the corner and started crying and whimpering. We had just been having sex so it was very disconcerting. That night we walked across Chelsea bridge and I took a photo of her and asked her if she liked the view, she said not really as she was considering throwing herself off the bridge. This was a weekend that I had been looking forward to for ages.

Read what your wrote her. She was having an emotional crisis... .rather than attend to her, you felt "cheated". If a women is in an affair and crying after sex and thinking of throwing herself off of a bridge, that is a pretty clear sign that the guilt and self loathing over the affair was overwhelming. If you loved her, you would have connected to that. Again, no criticism intended, just trying to keep give you perspective on what is going on.

The hard question here, all things considered, are there any reasons other than reasons of weakness and bad character to continue with this "affair"?  She can't handle it and is caught up in it - but she is mentally ill. You're not. You're stronger and you can step back an see that this is leaving a wake of damage and it will eventually engulf you too.

Very often when one cheated on spouse finds out, they contact the other spouse. Play out that scenario in your head. Your affair partner has had suicidal ideation. You have had suicidal ideation. If either of these partners find out, they will likely have suicidal ideation.

This is really a risky situation.

Skip

RomanticFool

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 12:42:26 PM »

Skip,

Excerpt
Please don't play with her emotions to get even. Every time she reaches out to you, you lash out at her and your own comfort level with the situation seems to improve. That is the "push/pull". She feels you bully her to get your way. When that doesn't work, she feels you abandon to get your way.

There has been no push/pull from me. I asked her for NC nearly 10 weeks ago. She decided to break that on 3 separate occasions. Each time pulling away again after having a conversation. I didn't invite the contact and on each occasion it launched me into emotional crisis. I don't abandon her to get my way, I do it because she gives me ST following every reconnection. I have spent years trying to be reasonable, as much as my own personality will allow me to. It is intensely painful dealing with her behaviour. It's not about getting my way, it is about trying to protect myself.

Excerpt
A lot of people are being seriously abused in this "affair". I know that is a bit in your face, but I intend it with kindness. You can't dress it up any other way or say that the innocent spouses deserve it.  And, as you have said on a number of occasions, your attraction to he is mostly physical / sexual.

Her husband is bisexual and from what she told me he has met other women too. She tells me he is not interested in her from any other standpoint than financial. She has been clear about that over many years. It is always possible she is minimising and justifying but they do not have a close r/s as far as I know. Which is why I have always been confused about his control over her. My wife is not being hurt in this affair because she doesn't know about it. Whereas if I tell her that I am leaving her because we are not having sex then she will be heartbroken probably. So which is more hurtful do you think?

Excerpt
You have also referred to it as "unconditional love" but none of the interfaces with her over the last month have been loving... .nor are you descriptions or her or situations.

Well it is certainly not unconditional love from her point of view. Please keep in mind that she spent a year abusing me via texts. One time from Hyde Park where she was at a concert with another man. Yet you see me as the aggressor here. I have been open and very honest about my actions on here, but I can tell you this, my behaviour does not come from a place of bullying her, whatever she says. It comes from a place of anguish and love. I did have unconditional love for her. When she was in rehab, I invited her out to something I was involved in, which was high risk to me because she met some of my friends (at her own request) and then I drove her back to rehab. That wasn't about sex. I also helped her through the initial stages of AA when she wanted to drink again. I have been her confidante and shoulder to lean on for years. That wasn't just about sex. So, yes, it has also been about love - for me anyway.

Excerpt
I was with my ex and she suddenly sat in the corner and started crying and whimpering. We had just been having sex so it was very disconcerting. That night we walked across Chelsea bridge and I took a photo of her and asked her if she liked the view, she said not really as she was considering throwing herself off the bridge. This was a weekend that I had been looking forward to for ages.

Read what your wrote her. She was having an emotional crisis... .rather than attend to her, you felt "cheated". If a women is in an affair and crying after sex and thinking of throwing herself off of a bridge, that is a pretty clear sign that the guilt and self loathing over the affair was overwhelming. If you loved her, you would have connected to that. Again, no criticism intended, just trying to keep give you perspective on what is going on.

Did I say I felt cheated? No, I didn't. I was giving that as an anecdote about BPD behaviour to Harley Quinn. To take it out of context is rather unfair on me, don't you think? What I didn't say was how I held her in my arms after she was crying and reassured her. When she said she felt like jumping off the bridge, we were already back in the hotel and again, I reassured her. I asked her regularly if she felt guilty about her husband and she always said that she did not. Her crying on the floor was not out of guilt, it was out of mental illness. Of that, I am certain. She never felt guilt about her marriage as far as I am aware. I wasn't the first person she had an affair with. There is no doubt that I love her but you cannot see that because you are going solely on my posts. I think you should be questioning her commitment to love rather than mine. I never inflicted ST on her and never abandoned her until the point where I stopped trusting her.

Excerpt
The hard question here, all things considered, are there any reasons other than reasons of weakness and bad character to continue with this "affair"?  She can't handle it and is caught up in it - but she is mentally ill. You're not. You're stronger and you can step back an see that this is leaving a wake of damage and it will eventually engulf you too.

So by your rationale, everybody who has an affair is a 'bad character?' That is a little black and white don't you think? I also find it judgemental. I don't consider 'weakness' has anything to do with this affair. It is emotional attachment. Unless you are saying that anybody who feels the emotions I do is weak? Odd interpretation to me. I honestly don't know whether she can handle it or whether her behaviour is just punishment for me allegedly abandoning her. I have asked her to talk to me about things being, 'Not good.' I have asked about her mental health and sobriety too. So far there has been no response. Had she ever said to me at any point that she couldn't handle this affair emotionally then I would have backed off. In fact, just before I walked away I asked if she still wanted me in her life. She emphatically said, 'Yes.' Then behaved as if I were her arch enemy. A few weeks before her final two disappearances she also said that she wanted to keep on seeing me. Unfortunately her behaviour suggested otherwise.

This r/s has already engulfed me. There is no getting away from it. I have tried to detach from her but she keeps pulling me back in. You seem to be holding me entirely responsible for her behaviour, overlooking how she has behaved towards me in this situation. In fact there seems to be little mention in your messages about BPD traits on her part. Had there been no ST and disappearances we wouldn't be in this current situation.

I am actually very worried about her which is why I have stopped short of blocking her on WhatsApp. I have a bad feeling that she has started drinking again and if this is the case, it will be because she feels abandoned. So I am damned whatever I do. I will be guilty if I try to get away from her and even more guilty, according to some people in this forum, about having an affair. Let me make something clear in case you missed it, I love this woman with my whole heart and it goes way beyond sex. So the fact I walked away, should give you an idea of how completely messed up I was by her behaviour towards me and how much pain I was experiencing.

Through these boards I have become aware that by challenging her I am triggering the ST. I think I knew this already
but interpreted it as belligerence and control rather than BPD. Even now, she is playing hide and seek with me. I have sent her several texts today telling her how much I am concerned for her. I am getting a wall of silence. That is ringing alarm bells with me and I think she is scared to tell me that she is drinking again. I hope I am wrong because it took her 2 years to get sober last time. She started drinking that time (after 10 years of sobriety) when her brother died. I stood by her every step of the way over those two years, to the detriment of my own mental health.

Excerpt
Very often when one cheated on spouse finds out, they contact the other spouse. Play out that scenario in your head. Your affair partner has had suicidal ideation. You have had suicidal ideation. If either of these partners find out, they will likely have suicidal ideation.

This is really a risky situation.

She has been threatening me with suicide on and off over 14 years. She has never tried to do it as far as I know. There is no way her husband will ever make contact with me or my wife. He knows who I am and roughly where I live.  If he was ever going to do anything he would have done it long ago.

Over the past 10 weeks i have let go of the idea that we will ever be together. They are both too level headed or fearful to involve anybody else in this situation. I don't know what the truth of their situation is but she has told me a million times that all he cares about is his financial security as the house belongs to her through inheritance. That side of things has never interested me but I gather she has an income.

If you want my honest opinion, the person who is in the most danger in this situation is myself. She has been in constant crisis for as long as I have known her. I accept I could have made life easier by being less challenging about her behaviour, but I am not a doormat and I have to look after my own mental health. Being without her has actually made me feel terrible. However, I do not believe this will reconvene as a r/s, especially if she has started drinking again. If that is the case my only interest will be in getting her back into AA and healthy again.

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 01:18:33 PM »

So by your rationale, everybody who has an affair is a 'bad character?' That is a little black and white don't you think? I also find it judgemental. I don't consider 'weakness' has anything to do with this affair. It is emotional attachment. Unless you are saying that anybody who feels the emotions I do is weak? Odd interpretation to me.

RM, respectfully, I have thousands of posts and have coached members in all the positions of affairs... .it's pretty common theme... .there is no one size fits all.

I get it that this has been a 14 year ordeal and a lot of connection develops in that time. Breaking up this relationship will be hard on each of you. Continuing it will be hard, too.

I trying to help you. There can be some tough "truths" in that process.

You were in AA. Ever discuss the "Logic of an Addict" and the Addicts Ability to Rationalize the Irrational?

Alcoholics are people. Not bad people. Serial adulterers or long term adulterers are people. Not bad people. But when chronic addictions come into play, good people can start crossing the line into bad behavior.

We all want to support you here - but we wouldn't be doing that by validating the invalid. Your treading in that water.

You have said you want to give your marriage a try. I believe you. You have said that this relationship is an "addiction" of sorts. That's great self-awareness.

I'm just pushing you on the fact that you are going into the area of addicts logic.

Duped 1

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »

My personal opinion is that when it comes to marriage it is black and white. If someone is married they are spoken for. When I was married I was spoken for. I don't know how a healthy relationship could ever come out of an affair but that is only my opinion.

I am sorry you are hurting and I certainly understand the addiction. I am 8 mos out and it is still so hard.
RomanticFool

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 03:29:57 PM »

Skip,

Excerpt
We all want to support you here - but we wouldn't be doing that by validating the invalid. Your treading in that water.

I don't doubt this, but there has been no acknowledgement from you that she was the one who broke the NC. I was doing well. Had she stayed away I would be doing even better.

Excerpt
You were in AA. Ever discuss the "Logic of an Addict" and the Addicts Ability to Rationalize the Irrational?

I still am in AA which is probably why I am open to self analysis. I have been sober for 14 years (that magic number) and many of my responses on here are informed by the 12 step programme. In AA it is called justifying and minimising our behaviour. I know there are elements of addiction around this r/s but among all of that there is very real and genuine love. If you take the sex and intensity away, I still think of her in loving terms. That is why it is so difficult to let go. If it was just about sex, the feelings would leave me pretty quickly, but they don't. There is something about this woman that I admire and she has touched my heart that goes way beyond the sexual attachment.

Excerpt
You have said you want to give your marriage a try. I believe you

If my ex would leave me alone, I would stand a much better chance of doing that.

Excerpt
I'm just pushing you on the fact that you are going into the area of addicts logic.

I understand about being pushed and challenged and experienced this during my years with my sponsor, particularly on Step 4. I admit that women have been a major area of addiction for me.

However, while the sex is addictive, that is not the only element of this situation. Sitting in the cinema with her and holding hands, discussing art and politics, discussing and hearing music together, dining out, meeting her from a train are all things that I miss about her. I am in love with this woman and walking away from her ripped out my heart. She described it as savage and I agree. What has totally flummoxed me is that she used that word. Everything people tell me about BPDs suggests that they simply replace people and don't miss them.

A friend of mine tells me that the way my ex behaves is not normal and that not to reply after making contact is purposely pulling the chair out from under me. I agree. She flouts my request to stay and away and then immediately goes into ST. Any amount of me understanding her or being kind and loving actually makes it worse. The way she is behaving is abusive and what you are seeing is the way it is affecting me. I asked her not to contact me because I knew we'd end up here. ST and me waiting by the phone. Yes, part of this is about addiction but most of it is about her abuse.

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »

I don't doubt this, but there has been no acknowledgement from you that she was the one who broke the NC. I was doing well. Had she stayed away I would be doing even better.

C'mon, you can't put this on her.

Take a breath. I know that this is really hard.

Let all this set for a night. Read it again in the morning. Be open to what others are pushing you to see.

You do have self-awareness... .but like anyone in your situation, not as much as you may think.

Let it all set for a night. Read it again later. Give it another run tomorrow.

One step at a time.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

RomanticFool

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 05:19:56 PM »

Skip,

Excerpt
C'mon, you can't put this on her.

Take a breath. I know that this is really hard.

Let all this set for a night. Read it again in the morning. Be open to what others are pushing you to see.

You do have self-awareness... .but like anyone in your situation, not as much as you may think.

Let it all set for a night. Read it again later. Give it another run tomorrow.

One step at a time.

Trust me, I really am not putting this all on her, just that aspect of her contacting me.

Also, just to say, I am listening to what people are saying.

I do feel like I have self awareness around AA issues but very little around this. I still don't know whether she has BPD or all of her behaviour is simply to do with depression, being married and me wanting more than she can give.

In any case, whichever way this goes, something that has happened through this process is that I have stopped thinking about my own needs so much and started thinking of hers. I don't know if it will last and I find myself changing on a daily basis.

I will rest now. Thanks for your help. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

Duped 1

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »

While I am not trying to judge you I find this hard to read. It feels like complete disregard for the others involved here. She is married and so are you.
DaddyBear77

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »

I don't doubt this, but there has been no acknowledgement from you that she was the one who broke the NC.

NC is a boundary, not a mutual agreement.

We don't rely on the other person to cooperate with our boundaries.

We don't say "I am going NC and I expect you to respect that"

In fact, it's quite the opposite - we say to OURSELVES "I am going NC, and I EXPECT the other person to violate MY NC boundary, so what am I going to do MYSELF when the inevitable happens?"

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest