Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 03, 2024, 09:09:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Poster  (Read 387 times)
Xegxorina
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married to stepfather of BPD child, divorced from biological father

« on: June 16, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »

My daughter is 15 years old and currently at in her 9th acute care facility for attempted suicide. We have been through many psychiatrists and therapists over the past 3 years and have had many dx... . depression, bipolar, ADHD and finally BPD, which is the only one that seemed to fit what was really going on with her. We tried a therapeutic ranch in NV and did our research (board certified psychiatrist, equine therapy, interviewed staff, checked for complaints, etc.) We gathered cash because it was private pay and sent her out with a transport company for troubled teens from an acute facility when she was on her 8th stay. The residential ranch stated they focused on individual and family therapy with master level's therapists. She was barely having any therapy individual or family and the communication was dismal. She wound up being taken to ER and admitted to an acute adolescent psych. She is 2000 miles away and I feel the ranch is not a good fit for her specific needs. She did finally get the BPD dx there, which is very helpful.

I have two days to find tx for her and at this point she needs residential because she is so impulsive and prone to very dangerous activities. I am trying to find the best place that will do frequent therapy with her and us and that take MAgellan insurance/keystone east. I am trying to apply for medicaid, though we probably earn way too much.

I can't afford McLean or Silver Spring or private pay over $2500 a month. I also do not want her more than 4.5 hours away. It is hard to trust a facility that I can't objectively observe and I can't afford frequent trips. Any suggestions? I am an hour north of Philly and an hour south of NYC (Mass and Northern VA and Pittsburgh are probably as far as I would send her unless something was exceptional.)
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
mamachelle

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 04:20:15 PM »

Hi Xegxorina,

Welcome

So sorry your DD is struggling. You have found the right place for support.  

Please say hello and post over on the Supporting a son or daughter suffering from BPD board to get RTC suggestions. A number of parents can help over there.

Since you just got the diagnosis... . a great place to start is with this set of resources:

What can a parent do? We look forward to seeing you on the Supporting board and hope you join us on this journey.

Yours,

mamachelle

jellibeans

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 09:15:58 PM »

Xegxorina

I just wanted to post and welcome you... . it is hard to find a RTC that is affordable... . I am not sure they exist! I am sorry I am in Texas so I have no suggestions for you that far north... . except for McLeans of course... . that is where I would go if we were north. Is it possible to get an educational loan for your dd? My dd was released recently for a RTC in San Marcos and my insurance paid for it but I don't think it was a good place for my dd and I think there are better places and unfortunately they are all private pay. It is the sad truth ... .

How long has your dd been in the place she is now? Has she gotten worse there? Do you think it would be better for her to come home for a bit before sending her to another place? Sorry for all the questions... . just trying to understand your situation. My dd came home after 2 months... . she did learn to cope but the mood swings are all over the place. We are trying to give her time this summer to stabilize and show she can make some better choices... . I think she has so far but we do have another RTC in mind in Utah... . it is far from us but it is hard to find the best place close by... . good luck... . I hope others can help you... .  
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest