Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 08:01:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Facing the prospect of having a child with BPD partner  (Read 350 times)
cloudpatterns
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 15, 2018, 07:28:43 AM »

Hi everyone.

I'm 38, and have been with my 32 year-old girlfriend (w/BPD) for 6 years, with a couple years of friendship and dating leading up to that. We live in NYC, so it's not unheard of in our culture to remain unmarried, but... .the pressure to give her a ring is mounting.
This looming commitment is pushing a lot of unresolved issues to the front of my mind, and I feel like I have to make a decision in the near future.

The first four years of our relationship were wonderful - obviously not perfect, as no relationship is, but with significantly more happiness and beauty than struggle. We have a business/creative project together, and in 2016 (our fifth year together), we came within a hair's reach of global, breakthrough success with it. Unfortunately that success didn't materialize, despite our best efforts,
and the frustration and disappointment knocked her into an extremely dark place. She always had a streak that could be characterized by black-and-white thinking, almost authoritarian moments, and demonizing me when she had me on a pedestal only moments earlier. But these were in the background, only occasionally surfacing to cause damage. The events of 2016 changed that, however, and her darker side because so dominant that almost interaction or speck of dust on the floor could lead to a meltdown. This persisted for most of the last two years, with small steps forward and back. I did a lot of care-taking and eggshell-walking, and eventually developed a fitness and meditation practice that fortified me enough to stay sane within these circumstances.

Things reached a breaking point late last year, when it became apparent to us both that the relationship would need to end soon if it stayed on the same course. In a break from the dark spells, she did some research and suggested she might either be bi-polar or have BPD. I was uncertain at first, but as soon as I researched these disorders on my own, I felt like I was reading about my day-to-day life. I started reading Stop Walking on Eggshells, and at some point I told her I had read the book. Amazingly, she went out and found her own book about BPD (by Elinor Greenberg), and immersed herself in it, reading it cover-to-cover at least twice. There was a period of months where she carried it with her wherever she went, and it seemed to calm her.

(Sidenote: This is rare, right? That kind of self-awareness? This is one of the many reasons I love her so much.)

After almost 2 years of searching, she finally found a psychiatrist she felt comfortable seeing, who diagnosed her as extremely high-functioning BPD. She's started working with a therapist this year, and generally things are much better than the last 2 years. When things got exceptionally bad, I kept a color-coded spreadsheet of her moods, which helped me see the patterns and de-personalize what was happening. I kept it color-coded based on "threat level" - purple was peace/bliss, and red was dangerous to the point where I feared she would physically harm herself. As 2017 ended and she started actively working on her symptoms, I watched the spreadsheet turn from waves of orange and red to long, unbroken streams of calm blue. We would go months without major incidents, and though they were still jarring and painful when they occurred, I felt immensely hopeful and encouraged.

This summer, I decided I would propose to her in the Spring if things didn't suffer some kind of collapse. My thinking was, I just wanted to see one "good" year between us, something like we'd had in the past. Not a perfect year, but a year with a level of conflict that felt tolerable and sustainable.

Then a small kind of collapse occurred. We went home for a month in August to see our families (we're both from the same city), and small stressors began to pile up around her like papercuts. Before I knew it, she was making scenes and berating me in public over the tiniest infractions (I lost us a free play on a jukebox), and sitting in tense silence in the car for hours at a time. These incidents triggered a kind of PTSD reaction in me from her countless meltdowns over the past 2 years, and more importantly, got me thinking about how devastating they would be to our future child.

So now we're back to normal life, but the ground feels shakier than it has in awhile. Most disturbingly, when the events of last month come up, she seems to revert to a "yeah but that time was all your fault." "And that time." "Yes, and that time." Now, I'm not claiming to be perfect, and if I wasn't trying to keep this concise, I could list my own failings all day. But I like to think I own up to those shortcomings and immediately apologize when they mess things up, which obviously does happen. I told her I'm concerned because, for the last few months, she's been comfortable announcing things like "I have borderline personality disorder" un-prompted to our families and friends, but takes no responsibility at all when she's actually manifesting the BPD. She speaks about every *individual* incident as an exception- those are all my fault.

Ordinarily, I would take all this as progress. A handful of incidents and failure to see them for what they are is certainly better than a mountain of regular incidents, which is how I used to live. But we're getting older, and the window for having kids is not going to remain open forever. Even a few of these screaming fits a year would damage a child for life, let alone the 2/3x-per-week frequency I used to experience. In a difficult conversation, I told her this, and told her I want to be able to come up with tools that we can use as a couple to navigate those moments. So she can say things like "I feel like screaming at you right now" instead of launching into the actual attack. She nodded, said she didn't want to talk about it, and didn't speak much for the rest of the night. A few days later, she went off on me again for a tiny incident, and then followed it by saying how ridiculous it is that I expect her to contain her anger. "You're just too sensitive. Anger is normal, I shouldn't have to hide my anger." I think our definitions of that word are significantly different.

Again, I could handle a certain amount of those attacks for the rest of my life, as long as they're few and far between, and remain psychologically healthy. But it would break my heart to see this happen to my child, or to see my child imitate her hateful speech when she's in a bad place ("I can't stand these stupid and disgusting people"). We're at an age where it feels like we need to step into the future together, or be released from the relationship so that future has a chance to happen with another partner. Leaving her is absolutely unthinkable to me - I love her immensely and could fill this page twenty times with the reasons why. But it's also unthinkable to have a child and watch the child get psychologically broken before his/her life can even begin.

We've made so much progress, but I don't know where the line is - where I can trust her with a child. I know the BPD will never be gone, but I don't know at what point its effects could be kept in check, enough to avoid my nightmare scenario.

Thanks so much for reading, and I apologize for how long this was! Tough to summarize the state of your relationship and your life in one post. I hope you're all doing okay with the struggles you're facing in your own lives. Thank you for having me.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »

Hi cloudpatterns,

I can see why you would feel so conflicted. She is brave to embrace BPD as an explanation for her behaviors, and at the same time, she is engaging in BPD behaviors that you find challenging, to say the least.

One thing that caught my attention was her increasing dysregulation when you visited family. How does she get along with her family?

What happens leading up to and during the screaming fits? Maybe we can work with an example that you've been through, and walk with you to try and understand what's happening. Sometimes there are tweaks we can make in our own behavior to help land the plane, so to speak   

Breathe.
BeagleGirl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 11:43:28 AM »

Cloudpatterns,

First of all, both you and your BPDgf sound exceptional.  The self awareness and compassion you possess comes across very clearly in your post and will serve you well as you face this disorder and its implications. 

(As an aside, my coworkers know me as the Excel queen and those who are closest to me know that I find building spreadsheets to be a soothing activity.  They can be depended on to say "Cool new spreadsheet tool you created.  What's going on?  Are you okay?", so I LOVED your description of the spreadsheet you created.)

Having children is the most amazing responsibility you can ever undertake.  It was having my eyes opened to the impact of dBPDxh's behavior (and my acceptance of and contribution to it) was having on my children that finally spurred me to draw boundaries and change behaviors.  I do believe that children are resilient and am hopeful that S15 and S20 still have a shot at happy and healthy lives, but I know that they will always wear some scars that might have been prevented.  I applaud your careful consideration of what will be best for your future children.

You mentioned that your gf has found a psychiatrist and is in therapy.  Is she undergoing DBT?  Is she open to you having some participation in her treatment?  Is her therapist?  Would it be possible for you to work through some of these questions with a therapist present? 

One of the aspects of BPD is a deep sense of shame.  I can imagine that the idea of you having hesitations about her ability to be a good mother would be a HUGE trigger and may seem impossible for her to address.  Having a trained professional present to guide the conversation and support her application of the tools she is learning could be invaluable.

I would love to hear more about what tools you are using to deal with "dysregulation" events.  What are you finding most valuable?  What do you struggle with most?  How do you think they would be useful in shielding a child from the impact of your gf's disorder?

I'm really glad that you found this site.  There is a wealth of knowledge in the lessons available, and the experiences of the members.  How can we be of help?

BeagleGirl
Euler2718

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 08:41:14 AM »

I noticed you wanted a year of calm before proposing ( relative calm) I too wanted this, but I just wanted a week or two of "stability" before asking her to b my girlfriend. It never happened. maybe I could have been more patient. On the other hand, maybe it saved me!

Worrying about impact in your unborn? Valid concern, I've thought about that too. Really it might seem selfish to have kids in such a situation -- this is a difficult scenario! I can take a bit of a beating, but imposing it on my unborn... .hmm.

Anyway, God be with you and I can relate on a smaller level. I don't know how we all get by with all of this ever-present relationship stress.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest