Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 08, 2024, 09:12:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smart people, help me here please  (Read 464 times)
joshbjoshb

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 25, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »

In the past few months my life is in turmoil. More like, my wife's life. But it has great impact on me.

She has tremendous issues where we live with different projects she is involved with. Some of them she is correct and indeed wrong has been done; in others, it's fear and insecurity. But she is miserable and depressed.

She doesn't want to move, but she wants me to make a decision and to move. I won't do it because the last move decision was made by me and she doesn't stop to complain how I "brought" her to a bad place (mind you, she agreed to come... .I will never do it without her consent).

So what to do? Is there anything I can help her with? I can't deal anymore with the constant complains, etc.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 02:17:09 PM »

I feel for you, because I have been exactly in your position.  My W and I just had a wedding ceremony.  She can't stop saying how it was all my idea and I dragged her into it.  She tells this to everyone.  At one point I reminded her that we both agreed to this at one point and at any time along the way she could have said no.   Basically, what you (and I) are dealing with is a person who feels miserable, and needs something or someone to blame.  The reality here is that if you do move, your wife will be just as miserable - guaranteed.  My wife wants to move, also.  If I had some kind of guarantee she would be happy, I would be all for it.  But I know she will still be unhappy, and if I moved I would be unhappy, and things would be worse. 

My suggestion is to recognize what this is, and do what you need to do to be happy for yourself.  Your wife will b___ and moan and complain, but just keep reminding yourself those are her problems and she needs to fix herself.  Nothing you can do will solve her problems.

Aurylian
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 01:12:06 PM »

Agreed.  And moving decisions by you should not be rushed into or avoided.  Do what is best for your family. 

My BPDw complains and revises history often about moves or contemplated moves.  In the end I know I did what was best for all of us and that is all that matters. 

If you act like a victim and blame the other person, you're missing an opportunity to grow.

formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 04:42:36 PM »

I can't deal anymore with the constant complains, etc.

What does "dealing with" complaints look like in your r/s?

Maybe we flip your question... .what shouldn't be done anymore?  What kind of answer comes out then?

NGU

Relationship status: Together since 2011. Married since 2013.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 07:39:41 AM »

The reality here is that if you do move, your wife will be just as miserable - guaranteed.

Nothing is ever guaranteed. Except for Maxsterling's guarantee.

I can't give you advice; only an example. Looking past her other triggers, my wife... .

1. Lived alone in a studio apartment and was miserable because she was alone.

2. We met and moved in together. She hated the new apartment and was miserable.

3. We moved again. She hated that our windows faced brick walls and was miserable.

4. We moved into our current apartment. Now she's miserable because of the apartment, the neighborhood and the city.

5. She wants to move again. She won't take no for an answer.

I know she'll be miserable anywhere, because it's not the core problem. I talked to her dad about another move, without mentioning my W's diagnosis or symptoms. His response to the plan: "It won't help." That's when I learned they had been paying all her therapy bills.

By the way, Max... .Getting blamed for marriage? That's a rough one.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 08:29:07 AM »

There is something that I say... in various ways... but it's the same concept.  NGU highlighted it.

The constant in all of that was the way his wife "felt".

A key concept that all of us "nons" need to accept... .if that we have limited control over that.  We do have some control... .and that is where the hope is.  But... .there is a limit.  Exactly where that limit is... .is different for each r/s because of the nuance for that r/s.

One way of figuring out boundaries (not the only way)... .is to help up to the limit... .and then stop helping.  The feelings belong to her... .and... .she can deal with them after that.

joshbjoshb

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 09:18:45 AM »

I can't deal anymore with the constant complains, etc.

What does "dealing with" complaints look like in your r/s?

Maybe we flip your question... .what shouldn't be done anymore?  What kind of answer comes out then?

Good question. I guess I don't want to be criticized anymore, or at least all the time Smiling (click to insert in post)
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 05:14:28 PM »

Good question. I guess I don't want to be criticized anymore, or at least all the time Smiling (click to insert in post)[/quote]
Is that your choice?  For her to not say critical things of you?

Stalwart

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 12:27:57 PM »

Hey Josh:

Boy, do I know project blues... .

"She has tremendous issues where we live with different projects she is involved with. Some of them she is correct and indeed wrong has been done; in others, it's fear and insecurity. But she is miserable and depressed."

What types of projects has she involved herself in and the difficulties she's run into doing them Josh?
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »

I guess I don't want to be criticized anymore, or at least all the time Smiling (click to insert in post)

Let me re-frame that as a boundary enforcement action on your part:

If my wife criticizes me, I will end that topic of discussion, end the conversation, or leave her company (as needed).
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest