Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 06:42:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If BPD's hate to lose an attachment why do they go NC ?  (Read 713 times)
william3693

« on: August 18, 2016, 09:05:30 AM »

And why are their behaviors worse after every rc?
Has it to do mostly with your being a trigger.I think I understand various reasons why they end
the relationship but why the nc.
jrharvey

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:47:08 AM »

Has it to do mostly with your being a trigger.I think I understand various reasons why they end
the relationship but why the nc.

Because they found a new person to latch on to?
enlighten me

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 11:18:28 AM »

It could be guilt, shame, your a trigger, theyve met someone else etc etc.

I look at this behaviour as childlike. Imagine a child that has done something wrong. They hide from you rather than face responsibilty.

imagine a child that has a new friend. They stop talking to the old friend as they have something new and shiny to hold onto.

imagine a child that is upset with a parent. They give them the silent treatment even if they are in the wrong. The parent could have told them off or just said its time to go home and stopped their fun.

Why they go nc could be a number of reasons.

schwing
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 11:37:13 AM »

Hi William3693,

I would not say that people with BPD (pwBPD) "hate to lose an attachment."  What they do is exhibit "frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment."  That is, they are afraid of being *abandoned* to the point that they will imagine it happening even when it is not.

To be abandoned, one needs to be depend upon that person who abandons. You cannot really be abandoned by a stranger or an acquaintance. And one escape from being abandoned, is to be the first one to abandon. If you are the abandoner, you are not the abandonee.

When pwBPD are not in a position to leave first (i.e. have someone to leave to) then they will be frantic to prevent you from leaving them; and so this looks like they don't want to lose an attachment. But once they are in a position to leave first, and strongly (though perhaps wrongly) believe that you will leave, then they will leave you and eventually go no contact.

I believe what is happening between each recycle, is first they get overwhelmed by their imagined abandonment (i.e., they are convinced you will leave them) but after breaking up, we convince them that we never intended to leave them (because we didn't) and so they come back.

The crux of their issues is that for pwBPD, feelings of intimacy/familiarity are a big trigger for their fear of abandonment. So the closer they feel towards us, the more they feel their disordered fear that they will be abandoned.  So after reconciling, the level of closeness and intimacy cranks up and they feel that they will be abandoned even worse than before. The next break up happens.  The next recycle happens.  And their disorder feelings only escalate (but only after oscillating between idealization and devaluation).  

In short, because the level of intimacy and familiarity increases which each recycle (i.e. the more time you spend with them), their disordered feelings only escalate, and so their behaviors get worse.

I think I understand various reasons why they end the relationship but why the nc.

To understand how pwBPD can go NC, you'll need to understand what it means to "lack object constancy." Lacking object constancy is like not having any "emotional memory."  When pwBPD are attached to one person, they can't "remember" how they once felt about someone else. There is a giant thread on the third page of the "Questions about BPD and BPD resources" titled "BPD BEHAVIORS: Lack of Object [Consistency]" that might be helpful to read in order to better understand this aspect.

They go NC because while they have someone else to need, it's almost like we emotionally cease to exist for them. The bottom line is that for pwBPD, they attach to people differently from how nonBPD people attach.

Best wishes,

Schwing

anonymous1234

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 03:55:20 AM »

Thanks for the explanation schwing, it explains a lot, however it is hurtful to accept you didn't mean that much for them on an emotional level.

Excerpt
They go NC because while they have someone else to need, it's almost like we emotionally cease to exist for them.

This seems to be whats happening to me, what happens afterwards. She is now probably still in the idealization phase with my replacement, which was to the best of my knowledge an affair. Do we pop back into their mind and care, or is it only the memories they have had for us.
enlighten me

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 04:28:24 AM »

My exs both went on about their exs. Were never forgotton. My exgf would go on about all their good points. No doubt by now she may be boring her new partners with my good points.

anonymous1234

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 05:02:22 AM »

I wouldn't know, mine painted her ex husband quite black, but from what I've seen on paper he wasn't very caring or loving, had issues of his own. I have been nothing but good to her, only kicked her out of the house immediately after I found about the affair and the lies (bigger deal to me). Haven't heard a blip since, total NC from her side. Guess dealing with it is too shameful for her or the r/s didn't mean a lot.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest