Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 05, 2024, 07:57:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My own worst enemy...  (Read 334 times)
NewStart

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: October 26, 2016, 09:37:25 AM »

Ok, there are days that I'm my own worst enemy getting caught in white lies.  Yesterday is a prime example, I have an hour window to have a beer after work with a friend and hear about a trip he just got back from... .and I see my phone ring and it's my uBPD/NPDw... .and my conditioned thought response is 'she's going to be pissed that I'm going to do this'.  So like a dumb@$$ I pick up the phone and tell her I'm running back to the office for a 1/2 hour... .and she pushes and says 'really... .and that's it?' so I come clean and tell her I'm going back to grab my briefcase then grab a quick beer.  I know, my bad, but I can't help it as I'm always freaking out that she's going to be pissed at me... .and of course now she is, I'm a Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post)#$%& liar, I can't be trusted, I'm a cheat, a creep... .well, you get the gist.  And of course this is the devaluation phase so she picks up the phone, drops a bunch of text and talks to whomever will listen about what a liar I am... .

Today I am making a conscious decision to NEVER do that again.  I'm almost 50 years old, I'm done being afraid of telling her when I want to see a friend, I'm going to be 100% above board and if she's pissed so be it, at least it won't be for something I created.

Frustrated today... .maybe this will be the straw that broke the camels back and the final devaluation will start... .and I can't say this time that I didn't add to it...

NS
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

schwing
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:14:14 PM »

Hi NewStart,

It might be helpful for you to consider that when people with BPD (pwBPD) have their episodes, they're just looking for an excuse to express the feelings that they are already experiencing.

For example, when your uBPD/NPDw is calling you out of the blue, she's probably already experiencing her anxiety that she will be abandoned by you; that's why she's calling: to check up on you. There's nothing that you can do to alleviate her from her anxiety (she's going to experience it no matter what).  Even if you are exactly where you're "supposed" to be, she will still continue to experience her disordered feelings. Your white lies are just serving as lightning rods for her storms. She's just looking for *any* excuse why she's feeling the way she feels.  

Because for her, it is a whole lot better to blame her feelings on someone else's behavior (even if it's only imagined), than to consider that maybe, just maybe, there's something not quite right with her feelings.

And at some point her disordered feelings are going to be so pent up that she will just make up reasons why you are causing her to feel the way she feels. Or else she will find someone else to blame.

Best wishes,

Schwing

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest