Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 10, 2024, 09:00:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to figure things out  (Read 341 times)
HardNose.787

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 19, 2018, 11:05:42 AM »

I’m trying to figure out how to live and care for someone who has BPD tendencies.

Our lives are filled with her intense anger, slammed doors, hitting and shoving, and general difficulty in communicating problems. Everyone in our lives has been categorized into good and bad, and her intense Clinton was limits my ability to do anything that isn’t work or being with her.

I’m tired and I feel very alone, so the thought of speaking to others in a similar situation is helpful.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 01:21:21 PM »

Welcome HardNose.787!

you certainly are not alone in your struggles. members here have lived it, or are living it, and we understand. there is hope. many of us here have gotten ourselves, and our relationships, on a healthier and happier trajectory.

are the two of you married? how long have you been together?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
HardNose.787

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 03:40:29 PM »

Hi Once Removed!

Yes we’re married, and have been for a bit over a year.  We dated for about a year before that.

She’s always been a bit mercurial, but before we were married I think she held herself in check better. She was always afraid that she’d be abandoned, and I think now the dynamic is different. Whereas before she’d apologize for going into a screaming rage, she doesn’t anymore. She acknowledges them, but the focus is on whatever she feels I did to cause it. She also never used to be physically violent to herself or me, but that’s starting to change.

We’re going to start couples therapy soo, but she is very hostile about it. If anything it’s a chance for her to address my problems. We have limited counseling options where we live, so I’m trying to be hopeful that there’s some sort of light at the end of the tunnel here.

And it’s lonely. She hates most of my family and long time friends and becomes paranoid if I talk to them. Anything that seems like a sleight (real or imagined) places them in a group of people she doesn’t want to see. The level of control she demands boggles the mind. No one would stay in this if they were dropped in all at once. It’s the slow increase over time until you’re trapped.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 04:00:07 PM »

No one would stay in this if they were dropped in all at once. It’s the slow increase over time until you’re trapped.

stopping the bleeding (not escalating things on our end) is the first step.

couples therapy can be a good resource in terms of doing that. you are probably right about her attitude toward couples therapy. when a couple enters therapy together, it sets up a triangulation situation. typically, both parties, even unconsciously, will work to get the therapist on their side. theyll defend and justify their end of the conflict. theyll vent about their partner with the attitude of trying to fix them. and then everything gets worse.

anticipate this. know that a good therapist will anticipate this, and know how to navigate. anticipate that the therapist may get a good grasp for your partner, and offer a lot of validation. dont be thrown off by it. resist the urge to JADE. start out, at least, by doing a lot of listening. if your partner builds trust and comfort, without being confronted or feeling blamed, shes a lot less likely to blow up or exit the therapy, and youll be on a stronger path.

when do you start?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest