Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 03, 2024, 10:19:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disengaging is the only thing that seems to help  (Read 442 times)
rollers8
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 01, 2018, 11:47:10 AM »

Hello! I found out about this community from ready WALKING ON EGGSHELLS which was recommended to me by my therapist. I am dating a girl who has BPD symptoms. Lately they have gotten worse. She is applying for a new job which involves traveling. One day she wants me to join her and another she wants me to stay. She has started drinking more which seems to heighten her symptoms. Sometimes it almost seems as if she becomes a whole different person - like a DR JECKYL MR HYDE situation. Can Borderline turn into Skitsophrenia if heightened enough? I have stopped engaging when things are bad but sometimes I am stuck and have nowhere to go and crying is the only thing that will get her to stop insulting, manupulating and gaslighting me. I want to help her, but suggesting to her that she needs help will only result in a crazy fight and I can't take those anymore. I worry that it is getting worse and disengaging is the only thing that seems to help. advice? thanks in advance <3,  rollers8
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Mutt
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 03:41:33 PM »

Hi rollers8, 

Welcome

I'd like to welcome you to bpdfamily. I'm glad that you have found us there is hope. We can't diagnose only a professional can do that, what we can look at are traits. BPD can have comorbidty it is one of the mental illness's that has the most comobbity and it can be comorbid with schizophrenia I'm not sure if the symptoms worsen because of stress but they certainly do with BPD.

I worry that it is getting worse and disengaging is the only thing that seems to help. advice?

BPD is an emotional dysregulation disorder it takes a pwBPD much longer to return to baseline you mentioned heighten symptoms, is she going through a coupious amount of stress that could be causing her to dysregulate? Is there a lot of conflict?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
RolandOfEld

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 07:50:27 PM »

Hi rollers8 and let me join Mutt in welcoming you! Aside from coming here, it sounds like you've already taken some strong steps forward towards improving your situation.

When you say you are stuck with nowhere to go, is this is a description of your emotional state or literal no where to go? The general prescription in the insulting / gaslighting situation is to explain you will not listen to this kind of talk and will leave the conversation unless it stops. A lot of members say this works but in my case with my wife it just escalates things. What do you think would happened if you did this?

I understand that suggesting help really doesn't work. No one wants to be told they are sick. I am trying to gently coax my wife into DBT treatment now. I used to just talk about "getting help", which provoked a similar response to your gf, but now I describe it as "skills training", not psychotherapy, which is an accurate description, and she expressed some interest.  

For your side of things, what are you doing for self-care?

~ROE  

isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 09:53:40 AM »

Hello rollers8.

I second the comment that stress makes the BPD symptoms worse, and take longer for them to emotionally "reset".  Mood swings alone are not really "schizophrenia", even drastic ones.  That disorder is pretty misunderstood thanks to movies and TV - it's not even really multiple personalities, but more a lack of a good grasp on reality, voices in your head - lots of scary stuff.  I've never done drugs, but I always kind of imagine having schizophrenia to be like a horrible, lifelong bad acid trip.  BPD is more about having no ability or healthy skills to manage unpleasant emotions.  Yes, their emotions can change on a  dime (as it seems to us), they can deny reality if it helps prevent them from accepting blame or feeling shame, and once we are past their wall they present to the outside world, we tend to see all manner of behaviors no one else is allowed to see. We become a sort of emotional appendage that can take the brunt of the emotions they cannot manage.

She has a bad day, she takes it out on you because she does not know how to manage those feelings internally.

Excerpt
The general prescription in the insulting / gaslighting situation is to explain you will not listen to this kind of talk and will leave the conversation unless it stops. A lot of members say this works but in my case with my wife it just escalates things. What do you think would happened if you did this?

I want to suggest a modification of this.  Yes, you can ask them to please stop.  But if they don't, it's up to you to remove your self (as possible, it's not always possible, we all know) from their access, from their abusive words and actions.  For some people, they can make it work to say, "You are yelling and being mean.  I will not continue the conversation until you can speak quietly."  Others, like me, simply find ways to leave the room or house.  I may start with "please don't yell, I do not want to be yelled at."  If that does not stop, if it's gathered enough steam that he can't slow it down... .I have to leave the room to enforce that boundary of protecting myself.  The boundary is not to "make" them stop yelling or being mean.  It's to prevent ourselves from allowing abuse ti be hurled at use.  

You don't leave once and hat's it.  You teach yourself to do it EVERY time this happens.  You are trainging yourself and them to accept a new "normal."

By leaving, or stopping the conversation however you need to, you take away the use of YOU as an emotional punching bag, and they are stuck, having to manage those emotions they hate so much.  

Suggesting "help" - this is very difficult.  Many therapists don't seem to know how or want to deal with BPD because it is a LONG road.  A lot of mental health can be assisted with medication - depression, anxiety, even bipolar disorder.  BPD is not like that.  Since it's tied to poorly managed emotions and a lack of skills that should have been learned in early childhood, the person and therapist have to commit to a long road of modifying hardwired behavior.  

Telling a pwBPD that they have BPD is hard enough.  Some of the biggest things they try to dodge are shame, blame, and responsibility.  Everything is someone else's fault.  So when you say, "No, you have a mental/emotional illness, this is kind YOUR fault," they often simply say, "NO!  It's all YOUR fault!  How dare you say it's me, my fault.  If you were just a better (whatever) I'd not need to be mad... .blah blah blah."  Many of us on here know that we will never mention BPD as something our SOs have - it's not really very productive.  

The good news is that after working o apply some boundaries and some of the tools, you CAN decrease the number of blow-ups.  You CAN learn to observe cycles, see what is maybe the REAL trigger for the outbursts, and take less emotional harm from it.  The BPD is part of them.  There is no magic wand to remove it - it's there.  It can be lessened over time, it can go into hiding, but periods of high stress, exhaustion, or illness can bring it back out.  As you learn to use the tools on this site and that can be found in books, you will work on becoming a stronger YOU.  Wehn you become stronger, they seem to catch up, after a delay.  It's like dragging them behind you on a bungee.  The cord needs to stretch a bit before they snap to you.  

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest