Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 06, 2024, 07:35:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: His holiday with ex & how to confront - Part II  (Read 1657 times)
MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2013, 05:36:25 PM »

Excerpt
In my experience . . . it doesn't really matter what's going on in his BPD mind.  It's always tempting to wonder, I know.  

But you said this was a deal breaker.  He knew it.  He went anyway. Was this a deal breaker?  :)oes it matter if he had a terrible time, got sick, had lousy weather, or if the kids were a pain in the rear?  If this is all true, does it make a difference to you?      

. I have nothing to add to this, great advice

Second guessing what he is thinking isn't productive.  Even less productive is painting him black and accusing him of manipulation, name calling, etc.

Take the high road.  

It's simple.  You have a boundary that is about YOU.  At this stage it has nothing to do with him

It's simple on paper, but it is not simple or easy in practice.  But,  I sure wish it were.

It is true, Connect, that ultimately this all about you and your boundary.  

I don't think I am wanting to paint him black in letting you know what my take on his messge is.  I don't think this guy is all bad and I don't see him that way.  I just think he is very, very emotionally immature. I think I'm am trying to keep it real, if doing so is unflattering to him right now, so be it.  But I still think my analysis of his message is probably pretty accurate and I do think there is some productivity in getting some real, if unflattering, feedback.

The feedback you are getting regarding emotional manipulation is important only in that... .   it's kind of standard operating procedure for how these relationships work. I think there's a learning curve to this, and you are in the middle of a learning curve right now.  It's also important because this involves YOU.  Manipulation isn't exactly just something someone does to us, like getting high-jacked.  It's more complicated than that, but usually, if we are being manipulated successfully,  it's because we are participating with it to some degree.

Connect, my ex did this kind of stuff all the time, and then the "oh I didn't even enjoy it" kind of thing was part of it, for the very reasons I just gave you.  It doesn't make the men we loved all black, it makes them very immature. It's a very immature style of relating.  This IS a form of manipualation, but really, it's not even all that sophisticated or clever, it's fairly transparent, and it is only manipulation if we buy into it.  

I bought into this kind of manipulation and allowed it a lot.  As much as I might be angry or rail against his 'manipulations' later when he would just pull another fast one, the true story is this:

I went along with a lot of his manipulations (like this one)  not because I didn't see through them myself at some level... .   but because it at least gave me some wiggle room to go further into denial instead of staying in radical aceptance abou the man I loved.   Ok he isn't really having a good time.  So,that means maybe this really isn't all that bad, maybe his stomach ache even had something to do with me and missing me and knowing how bad this was to do this to me,  that this  has made him sick.  How can I really justify sticking with my original boundary when it wasn't really even a very good trip? If he was sick, then he probably didn't really enjoy his time with the other woman, either.

The fact is I often didn't want to stick to my boundaries with my bf because he had some really appealing goodies that I was pretty much addicted to having and keeping my boundary meant giving up the goodies!  And I didn't want to!  This made me suseptible to some pretty transparent manipulations. You had me at hello, you know?  So I would go along with his ridiculous manipulations because on some level,  it served me to do that. I went along with manipulations when it served me in some way. But I wasn't as honest with myself and I could have been.  I didn't have to reallly own reality or my choices.

He is offering you a crumb that can help both of you sweep this under the rug.  It's not a very honest crumb, and while it may give some wiggle room for both of you in this current delimma, the fact is, this will keep happening.

So, stay with him, or break-up with him, or take a break and decide later, or something in between.

You can have whatever boundary  you want and change whatever boundary you want at any given time!  

This is your life!  Your choice! For your own reasons!

Whatever you decide, Connect, what will serve you well,  is not fooling yourself. Stay in radical acceptance. Whatever happens on this trip... .     this man you love, does this kind of stuff, cause he's really pretty emotionally immature. That's radical acceptance.

It has nothing to do with you or the other woman, it's just that he's really very immature and will be immature this way for a long time.

And knowing that, you get to decide! Just stay honest with yourself, it will serve you well no matter what you decide.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

connect

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your responses 

My take on it was it could be one or more of the following:

1) He is trying to downplay the holiday by making it out to be negative

2) He is feeling guilty/bad (he gets stomach problems when this happens)

3) He is faking/exagerating this illness to me

4) He is testing the water with me. He wants contact but under the circumstances he cannot say anything positive about the holiday or ask me how I am as it would open a whole can of worms so this is the only way to do it.

I am more concerned about me than him at this point. I doubt the "illness" is affecting his holiday that much to be honest. I dont know what to post really as I am still going through a lot of things in my head this week and working through some heavy emotions. Just letting you know what's going on.

Thank you guys

MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2013, 05:54:58 PM »

You get to take as much time as you need deciding what is right for you.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

connect

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2013, 06:38:49 PM »

Hi Maybeso,

We crossed posted! I read your post after mine went up and it made me laugh as I wrote:

2) He is feeling guilty/bad (he gets stomach problems when this happens)

Yep you called that one allright! You are right it IS a steep learning curve and I am bang in the middle of it! Am not used to this kind of dynamic at all and have only starting gathering information since February. Thank you for all you wrote and calling on your own experience to help me out here. Thank you   Yes I am aware that it is manipulation and I do agree that going along with that "buys me some time" He knows I look after him when he is sick, we both know he gets sick when he is unhappy, he knows he is portraying a negative holiday. But what he doesnt know is that I do see this now. He doesnt know that his messages p***ed me the f off as it's his ex f-buddy who is the one that is looking after him. THAT riled me. THAT triggered me. There is nothing he could write that wouldnt trigger me except that he was wrong, it was a mistake and he's coming home.

When I first got the message I saw it was from him and felt steaming angry - didnt read it for 2 hours then turned phone off for 3 hours. Of course I would rather he contacted me than didnt (am only human) but it made me angry. The next one made me feel the same. I did answer saying "yes eat bland food" no kisses, no "honey" or "darling". I feel really wierd on here saying I answered as dont want to look weak :-( But best tell you guys... . I answered with awareness of what he's doing. I suppose I am buying myself some time. I think I didnt want to ignore him as I am being passive aggressive in a convoluted way that I dont even really get myself   something to do with stopping him thinking he is single while away with the ex f-buddy perhaps... . spoiling things for her too... .   you'll have to excuse me here as I am working things out in my emotional/tired/progressing mind. It helps posting on here as it forces me to examine myself. It is still in the forefront of my mind though that he has chosen to go on holiday with his ex - that is VERY firmly in my mind. That is thought is a keeper. On a lighter note... . I really hope she gets diarrehea too. ha ha.

I am really working on radical acceptance and have two T sessions to aid me this week. The real crunch time will be when he is back and my choices. I cant imagine my emotions (esp the anger) will be dissapated at all - in fact I think they will be esculated but hopefully clearer.

Thanks again and be gentle with me... .   Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2013, 07:04:36 PM »

Excerpt
I really hope she gets diarrehea too. ha ha.

Ha!  I second that!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2013, 07:56:21 AM »

Hi Connect,

The guy I'm 'friends' with has exhibited these sorts of things, too.  Which is one of the many reasons I don't consider him my SO and I have no idealistic fantasies of him becoming any different without serious therapy.  I do not want to live with him, but I do enjoy spending time with him.  If I were looking for a serious committed relationship, I would look elsewhere.

I've known him long enough to recognize his triggers, so I make other plans... .   on say certain holidays.  Sometimes I still get thrown for a loop, but have enough tools in my toolbox now to not let his actions affect me to the point of losing myself, my dignity, self respect etc... .   depression.  My eyes are wide open to the depths of his emotional immaturity.  I can stand alone and recognize what 'his stuff' is without becoming part of it.

Hang in there   It's an awakening of sorts, what you're going through right now.  Keep the focus on yourself and what it truly is that you want out of life   He's shown you the depths of what he's capable of in terms of hurting you and will continue to do just that without the proper long term therapy that he wants to get... .  

Take care of yourself. 

briefcase
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married 18 years, together 20 years, still living together

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »

Staff only

We've made it to four pages again and this thread has to be locked.  Of course, you can continue the discussion by starting a new topic if you choose.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest