Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 06, 2024, 10:56:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: helping the children understand  (Read 411 times)
joe_schmoe

« on: April 09, 2013, 12:12:54 PM »

OK, last question for the day (I hope).

My 8 yr. old son wanted to talk to me about how his mother has been (mis)treating him. He knows he can always talk to me about anything. But he was reluctant to come to me because he was afraid of her finding out. So he did it anyway. He came and told me what she has been doing to him and I tried my best to explain to him that it wasn't his fault and she does things and says things that can be hurtful because she doesn't know a better way of handling it.

The point is, after we finished talking he said "what if mommy asks me why I was talking to you, she'll get mad if she finds out", (he's very honest and wouldn't lie to her even if it meant getting hurt) So I asked him how his day at school went and he went on a few minutes about that. Afterwards I asked him ":)o you now have an answer for mommy if she asks?" He smiled and hugged me and thanked me (he's very bright). I don't want to teach him to be deceptive or deceitful, but I can't have my kids afraid to talk to me because their mother will abuse them for it.

Did I do the right thing?

Thanks

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

briefcase
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married 18 years, together 20 years, still living together

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »

Yeah, its hard for the kids to understand all this - heck, its hard for adults to understand.  Unfortunately, if she has BPD, your son has a mother with BPD and that's now a fact that can't be changed. 

Its now vital for you to be a stable an available parent to him.  Let him have a voice with you.  Keep his confidences.  Intervene when your wife dysregulates around him or wants to impose an unreasonable pnishment. 

It sounds like you did fine with him. 

yeeter

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 04:18:50 PM »

You did great.

Keep worrying about it, that's a sign that you both care, and are paying attention.

At some point you two are going to get busted.  Stick up for him when that happens, you have to protect him since he can't do it for himself.

My S8 is opening up more and more about the dynamics.  He is going to have more skill than I do in another few years, which is the payout.  That he learns that it's not normal. That he develops his own emotional management.  That the long term effects are mitigated.  That he feels loved.

joe_schmoe

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »

Thanks to you both for the replies.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest