Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 14, 2024, 08:12:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Always needing to KNOW  (Read 377 times)
StayOrLeave15

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: June 19, 2014, 10:30:08 PM »

For those of you who have followed me story "She pushed me over the edge... . and I reacted", things have been relatively calm.  No blowout fights, just little here and there arguments.  I'm getting better at managing them and I think she (uBPDgf) is too. 

The newest development, however, is that when she is stressed she will constantly text me over and over asking what I am doing.  Even if they are trivial things, she wants to know all the details.  (For example taking out the garbage or doing the dishes.) And if I don't answer right away she will text me over and over and over.  I would like to try and set boundaries here, but I know that bringing it up with her will cause her to blow up.  I think that I will have to do it during our couples therapy session.  Our therapist hasn't acknowledged that she is BPD yet, but her approach makes it pretty clear she knows that my gf a pwBPD. 

The other issue is that because of logistical reasons we are spending a lot less time together.  I have a lot of free time on my hands and she has family obligations that keep her home (we don't live together).  It seems that almost any time I say I have plans with a friend she gets angry.  One night she told me I should sit home alone because "if I really cared about her I wouldn't be so worried about entertaining myself" because she is unable to spend time with me.  Our therapist basically told her this is very unreasonable but it was the end of the session so we didn't get to go more in depth.  Today when I told her about making some plans with friends for the weekend (even though I carefully planned around the time we set to spend together) she got angry for a bit.  Thankfully she returned to normalcy pretty quickly. 

Both of these behaviors seem to be about isolation and control.  She needs to know what I am doing and with whom I am doing it, even if these things have no bearing whatsoever on our relationship.  And expect 10+ messages if I don't answer quickly and she knows I'm not at work.  Any advice on similar experiences and how to set boundaries without a blowout fight (mine without question turning into her saying "You don't love me."? Thank you friends. 
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 11:49:20 AM »

Hi StayOrLeave15,

The newest development, however, is that when she is stressed she will constantly text me over and over asking what I am doing.  Even if they are trivial things, she wants to know all the details.  (For example taking out the garbage or doing the dishes.) And if I don't answer right away she will text me over and over and over.  I would like to try and set boundaries here, but I know that bringing it up with her will cause her to blow up.  I think that I will have to do it during our couples therapy session.  Our therapist hasn't acknowledged that she is BPD yet, but her approach makes it pretty clear she knows that my gf a pwBPD. 

[... . ]

Both of these behaviors seem to be about isolation and control.  She needs to know what I am doing and with whom I am doing it, even if these things have no bearing whatsoever on our relationship.  And expect 10+ messages if I don't answer quickly and she knows I'm not at work.  Any advice on similar experiences and how to set boundaries without a blowout fight (mine without question turning into her saying "You don't love me."? Thank you friends. 

this constant control can be exhausting. It is not really about isolation or even about controlling you for the sake of control. It is more controlling you as a means controlling her own distress. In absence of self validation skills on her side she relies on excessive control of her environment to keep herself in balance. By transferring her emotions on to you during the calls she gets the feedback she needs to regulate her emotions.

And that is also the crux of the matter when it comes to setting boundaries. Setting boundaries inevitably will result in taking away her crutch whether you want or not. She can't use you to balance herself without you feeling used. And you can't deny it to her without her feeling a loss and having to adjust. This change will be both necessary for you, in the long run helpful for her but painful not the less. You may have some freedom in choosing the when, may be able manage the upset (owning up to your needs, avoiding invalidating abandonment, avoiding JADE) but probably very little wrt. to the how (check the board on stories on excessive phone calling and setting boundaries) and almost no chance of avoiding an extinction burst. Right now you are de-facto a critical part of her emotional regulation - too much to be healthy for the relationship. Getting this boundary in place will not be a cake walk and doing it in deliberate manner is better than to rush into it without having thought it fully through.

A basic preparation would include:

- workshop on boundaries

- back stories on this board on excessive calling

- having learned to avoid JADE

- validation of abandonment

- general working experience with validation

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 02:09:45 PM »

For those of you who have followed me story "She pushed me over the edge... . and I reacted", things have been relatively calm.  No blowout fights, just little here and there arguments.  I'm getting better at managing them and I think she (uBPDgf) is too. 

The other issue is that because of logistical reasons we are spending a lot less time together.  I have a lot of free time on my hands and she has family obligations that keep her home (we don't live together).  It seems that almost any time I say I have plans with a friend she gets angry.  One night she told me I should sit home alone because "if I really cared about her I wouldn't be so worried about entertaining myself" because she is unable to spend time with me.  Our therapist basically told her this is very unreasonable but it was the end of the session so we didn't get to go more in depth.  Today when I told her about making some plans with friends for the weekend (even though I carefully planned around the time we set to spend together) she got angry for a bit.  Thankfully she returned to normalcy pretty quickly. 

I think you are on the right track.  You've identified something that needs a boundary... but you are carefully considering it before you implement the boundary.

If it comes out of a counseling session... . then you might not be such a bad guy... .

maybe pick a limit on number of texts (unless there is an emergency)... . of course she will think all are emergencies... and that can be directed back at her in therapy.

How long until next counseling?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest