Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 16, 2024, 02:25:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taxes  (Read 446 times)
scraps66

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Separated 9/2008, living apart since 1/2010

« on: March 13, 2013, 01:54:53 PM »

Divorced 2/2012, S5 and S8, joint legal and 50/50 physical custody

Just got  a call from my tax guy, my tax return bounced back as “someone” else claimed my S8 on their tax return.  Each of the last two years I was lucky enough to file first and able to claim one child on my return.  This year I wasn’t so lucky.  My tax guy will file again, today, claiming S5, and see if it goes through.  In each of the previous two years exuBPD (w/NPD traits)w had tried to claim both children.  Her rationale, since she makes the payments for childcare, she should get the deductions for both.  She has been told by one attorney, a judge, and a support master, that this is not correct, but she continues. 

IRS had sent me a letter in the fall letting me know that someone else was claiming one of my dependents and, that I should make sure that the one child I did claim was in fact mine.  This much I did.

But now what, is there something I can do to correct this quicker rather than later?  The unfortunate and silly thing is that I do not have a support order that emphatically states that we each claim one child.  Understood with 50/50 custody, but I don’t have it written.  I have asked a few attorneys about this and their advice, make sure to file first – not something I can be assured of doing.  As is the case this year.

hell0kitty

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »

We have the same issue. They were supposed to do every other year, but she just files practically on Jan 1st so that he can't claim their child.  We were also told "Make sure you file first" so to avoid this.  Doesn't seem like there are a ton of options.  It is not written clearly in the PP, otherwise we could file contempt, but that really doesn't mean a lot to the IRS. 

When I got divorced, my husband had a ton of back taxes, we made an agreement that he'd pay up to the year we were divorced.  It was about $10k. I started getting weird letters from the IRS, called them, and they said "I know you probably have a settlement that says he will pay, but that doesn't matter to the IRS, they will go after whoever it takes so they get paid."

I get the impression the IRS kind of trumps family court orders.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 01:34:34 PM »

Just got  a call from my tax guy, my tax return bounced back as “someone” else claimed my S8 on their tax return.  Each of the last two years I was lucky enough to file first and able to claim one child on my return.  This year I wasn’t so lucky.

Is she learning to file first?

If you don't find a resolution this year, then file as early as you can next year for both children?

scraps66

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 04:23:29 AM »

I think she is FD.  Unfortunately this year I had two amendments to make and my taxes got done later than I wanted.  It seems ridiculous to have to just file first when it should be written somewhere.  I'd go back to court, but just don't know for what.  Her rationale has been, not necessarily that she has the kids more than me due to my business travel, but twisted.  She feels that, since she makes the childcare payments she is entitled to all of the childcare credits - essentially all of the cildcare monies paid through the year.  However, 65% of the money is mine.  So she's committing tax fraud as far as I'm concerned.

She's been told three times now and still continues.  Her L may in fact be telling her to do this.

scraps66

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 04:34:09 AM »

The L is the do gooder type buying all of ex's BS.  Can I demand a copy of her tax return via the L?
scraps66

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 04:35:30 AM »

PS I still have an open issue with my case in that ex got a bogus psychological evaluation.  has not been addressed.  Issues like the taxes come up and I again revisit the possibility of takingher back to court to get a "real" psychological evaluation.  Will post a separate thread about this.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest