Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 14, 2024, 02:13:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daughter newly diagnosed with BPD  (Read 387 times)
Sugarloaf
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: June 18, 2019, 08:54:30 AM »

Hello, my 23 year old daughter has recently been  diagnosed with BPD. She became unwell when she was 18, and this was initially diagnosed as bipolar disorder. She has now been taken off all medication.  She was discharged from a psychiatric ward recently because her behaviour was so disruptive, she has now left home and gone to live with an ex-boyfriend temporarily, but is very angry and blaming us as her parents for “poor parenting“.  We don’t feel that that this is fair, but she knows we would find it hurtful .
We are trying to set some boundaries, and do some research into this condition. The situation is compounded by the fact that my mother probably had narcissistic personality disorder,  I was afraid of her all of my life until she died a few years ago,  and I really do not want to go through this again.  I have three other daughters who are all stable happy pillars of society. She seems to have turned into such a nasty disruptive person, even the psychiatric ward could not deal with her, and we are at a loss as to how this has happened, or how best to manage it.  Any constructive thoughts or input would be gratefully received, even if it’s just sharing how you felt in a similar situation, and managed it.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 09:16:14 AM »

Hello Sugarloaf
I am glad to meet you and sorry for what brings you here. I feel your frustration. I have been there many times with my DS24XBPD (dear son 24 diagnosed with BPD) The good news is things can get better. Many of us have found that by using the communication skills we learn here we have been able to improve our relationships with our children. A good place to start is by clicking on the thread at the top of this page that says "how to get the most out of this site." You have already taken some enormous first steps in beginning to think about boundaries and joining this group. We are all here for you. Welcome
Only Human

Relationship status: divorced since the 90's

Love is still the answer

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 02:00:49 PM »

Hello sugarloaf Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

I join Faith in welcoming you here Welcome

It sounds like you've been through a lot with your daughter and I understand the fear of history repeating itself, having lived with a mother with possible NPD. I'm so sorry you lived in fear, and also glad you are here with us now.  

As Faith says,

Excerpt
You have already taken some enormous first steps in beginning to think about boundaries and joining this group.

You will find many other parents who are dealing with similar situations with their children and we are all learning together, supporting each other, as we navigate our emotionally intense relationships. You've come to the right place.

Faith mentioned the link pinned to the top of the board, HOW TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THIS SITE and I encourage you to start there. It's got many of our best articles with links to more. Have a look and come back here with any questions or comments, we want to help.

It's important that you have a strong support system and we are happy to be a part of that. Feel free to post in other's threads, it helps to talk about it, to know we are not alone.

Do you have any support in real life? A therapist of your own? Many of us find it helpful to work with a therapist with extensive knowledge of BPD - so much of the work we do here is on ourselves, our own responses. As you know, we cannot change our children, we can only take very good care of ourselves. Setting boundaries is part of that and something we are all learning here.

When you are comfortable, please share more about your situation. It helps us to know how to best support and advise you.

Take good care,

~ OH

"It's our god forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved."
-Jason Mraz, I'm Yours
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest