Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 06:05:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Our abuse recovery guide
Survivor to Thriver | Free download.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medium Chill - respond, don't react  (Read 5481 times)
Cantor

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2013, 11:01:47 PM »

Thanks for the topic! I like Medium Chill and I've been doing it for a while, without realizing I was. It's been a helpful protection mechanism in a way, since it seems to give immunity to provocations and it stops the heated back and forth that I used to engage in. I sometimes wish I could just be honest about how I'm feeling, because it is a bit exhausting to keep your responses low key and to not be overly outward.
nevermore

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2013, 11:07:37 AM »

Medium chill describes exactly how I maintain my boundaries. When my BPD mother tries to bring up things that would trigger an emotional response from me I simply say "I am not going to talk about that with you."  I don't let her have any power over me. These techniques I am using were hard earned and I am glad you have them posted for those looking for ways to cope. I have been totally enmeshed, totally no contact and neither worked for me. Medium chill works best for me.  Thank you. Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
hopealwaysss

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2014, 05:11:04 PM »

This is perfect and describes exactly what my husband and I have started doing with my mom.
DearBFF

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2016, 11:24:58 AM »

I'm guessing this a great technique for a loved one who you want in your life less not more often. 

My problem is that the loved one is a friend, a close friend, and I am not sure how to make this work for me.  Partly because the emotional connection is the basis of our friendship, so without it:  What are we?  Also, he can detect emotional distance and will often push away because of it.

Also, I have tried being very upbeat and positive not engaging in heavy emotional stuff for a while there then it all fell apart when she threw it back at me.  Just because I hadn't been talking about any emotional difficulties she assumed I did not have any and would often turn her bad days into a rail against me for seemingly never having any.  The truth was I did have them, just didn't share them with her mostly because she never really allowed space to.  When she monopolizes the conversation with her problems there isn't a lot of time left for me to insert anything about my day/week/life/struggles/etc.

This hurt very much because what she was saying about stuff, "You've never gone through X" or "X has never been a problem in your life" when X was most definitely something I had gone through and was something I worried about on many occasions.

How does this work when the basis of this relationship is a person you have an emotional connection with?  My guess is that it doesn't?

Can you maintain the emotionality in some fashion?

nowitmakessense

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Single parent, 18 years

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2016, 08:39:06 PM »

Smiling (click to insert in post) Medium Chill  Smiling (click to insert in post) This is very good advice! I'm totally doing this from now on.  Thank you so much for this post, very helpful
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest