Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 12:21:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Self-Aware BPD  (Read 377 times)
RufusTFirefly

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: July 24, 2019, 12:38:27 PM »

I'm struggling with my wife, who understands that she has BPD. We've talked about it, read a book together, and she's aware that there's "something wrong with her" (her words, not mine).

But even though she understands that her feelings aren't always rational, that understanding doesn't always help.

I love going to the movies, but it makes her very uncomfortable if I do, to the point of pain (what many would consider a relatively benign movie once sent her into a week-long suicidal spiral). She's worried I might see someone in the movie who I think is prettier than she is (I won't — my wife is the most beautiful woman in the world). She also knows that if she tells me not to go, she's being controlling and she doesn't want to be controlling. And I know that if I go, it's going to hurt her (I understand that I'm not the one hurting her, but it doesn't change the fact that it still hurts). This is more or less the same issue whether or not she joins me.

What's nice is we both want the same thing: We both think I should be able to see movies and we both don't want her to be hurt. The trick is getting that thing and what to do in the meantime.

Do you have any suggestions for how we can work on this? Or, to put it another way, how I can help her deal with and possibly overcome her feelings so we can both get what we want?

Thank you!
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 01:19:44 PM »

its tough.

sometimes we can recognize that our fears are irrational, but they may still be debilitating.

so what normally happens when you come home from the movie? does she tend to want to talk about it?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
RufusTFirefly

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 03:18:30 PM »

She generally does not want to talk about it or much of anything. She doesn't want me to touch her or even get close to her. To me, it feels nasty. Every word she says has an edge to it and feels accusatory and she looks at me like she hates me. It's difficult to put into words, but her BPD makes it difficult to enjoy things because I'm worried about the consequences (Obviously, it's difficult for her, too).

She's told me, when I get home, it feels like she might have been cheated on. She doesn't actually think I was sleeping with someone else, but she wonders if I was turned on by the people in the movie and, to her, the feeling is the same.
Still Here

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 04:20:44 PM »

RTF

That sounds pretty complex.  I'm sorry.

Is your W threatened by you seeing and interacting with women in everyday life - outside of the going to the movies setting - at work, at the gym, at the gas station etc.?  If not, what do you think makes movies different for her?

SH   
RufusTFirefly

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 07:15:04 PM »

No, it's everywhere. Depending on how severe she's feeling, it can be very stressful to go out.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest