Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 05, 2024, 02:30:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I stupid? Is it hopeless?  (Read 300 times)
Kafka3sque
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Dating/living together

« on: May 29, 2023, 11:34:26 AM »

My girlfriend is diagnosed with bpd. She’s going to therapy but hates it and isn’t getting much out of it anymore. I’ve been told one of her therapists thinks she won’t get anything out of it since she doesn’t want to be there so obviously.

She’s been in episodes (she hates when I call it that) on and off for a while but mostly on. She got in this one about 3 weeks ago. She’s relapsed with alcohol and has been drinking every day. We recently moved in together with a roommate but we have separate rooms. She hates being around me, she has apathy level 100, and she’s not even upset she’s in this episode. She doesn’t care and would be fine if it never ended. She’s not going to stop drinking until she feels like it (I don’t drink and I don’t want to be with her if she’s drinking for life but I understand relapse and I’m not against them at all. To be clear I have never drunk, I do not have a substance abuse disorder).

She thinks I’m stupid for wanting to be with her and if we weren’t stuck in a lease until April, I’m quite sure she would have tried to break up with me. I say tried because we have an agreement (that she hates but did agree to earlier) that we won’t break up until she is out of any episode because she might not want to later. Every single thing I do pisses her off, she hates that I’m patient and understanding, that I’m more logical, and that I’m so good for her.

I have taken classes on addiction, family connections for bpd, Al-anon for a time, I’ve read books and I know pretty well how to deal with her. But it’s so PLEASE READing hard and I feel like my grip is loosening. She’s not the most affectionate person when she’s out of an episode but I know without a doubt in my mind that she loves me and we have so much fun together. She’s family to me and I can see us being together for a long time.

I guess I wanted to share because I want to hear others’ opinions. Am I stupid for wanting to keep trying even though it’s so hard? If I wait it out will it get better? Can she get better without wanting to get better?

I really appreciate anything you have to say. Thank you
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Notwendy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 04:01:58 PM »

Not sure if it is hopeless but it's a difficult situation with an unknown outcome. It's not stupid to want to try but you can decide it's not in your best interest to do that.

I don't know how much time you spent in Alanon, but if you didn't give it the full try, I think it is worthwhile- not because it will change your partner. We are not able to change anyone else. However, what you will learn about yourself and the personal changes you can make for your own emotional growth are worth the investment - if you take the mindset that you are going to Alanon for you, not for her, and to understand why you were vulnerable to such a relationship, and how you can gain better relationship skills.

You could move out if it is affordable but it may be that you are needing to stay there until April at least. Through Alanon and counseling, you may learn how to cope with this situation, how to back off trying to change your partner's drinking or manage her feelings and how to manage your own feelings during conflict and leave her feelings to her.

I have spent time in 12 step groups to help with managing a relationship with my BPD mother. She hasn't changed, but the information and emotional learning on my part have been valuable to me.

While you are uncertain about the future of your relationship, I caution you to not make any other long term or permanent ties to her such as marriage or baby. Especially if she's drinking- that might cause permanent harm to a baby. Even if she promises to not drink, you can't rely on that.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest