Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 01:39:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DSM V  (Read 445 times)
twojaybirds

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: September 29, 2013, 05:08:47 PM »

I came across this website explaining the differences between the DSM-IV and the new V definitions of BPD.  Oh and as far as the website sponsor, I know nothing about her or her program, I just found it goggling

I liked the way it was laid out.  And actually the new definition works for me.   Any thoughts from others?

www.roanneprogram.com/articles/dsm-5-and-how-it-affects-the-diagnosis-of-BPD/
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
peaceplease

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 07:49:13 PM »

twojaybirds,

Yes, this DSM-5 is very specific.  Reading the DSM-5 criteria, my dd is covered in all.  According to the DSM-IV, I only say 7 of the 9 criteria.  After seeing more specifics, she meets all of the criteria. 

Hope that there will be more diagnosed accurately and more education for therapists. 

peaceplease
Someday . . .

Relationship status: married, 36 years

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:36:13 PM »

Thanks for posting!  This is the first time I have seen the particulars for the DSM V for BPD.  I must say that it seems quite clear and concise AND describes my daughter to a "T".   

Today, my daughter has been quite depressed about her future. . .I wish that I could show her the new definitions/criteria and let her know that it's not "her", but the disorder.   Unfortunately, I am pretty sure how she would react and it would not be advantageous for her to see it  :  ((

May all the people with BPD find some sense of peace and comfort in their lives.   
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:04:29 AM »

I believe this website is outdated. The final version of the DSM V has been published. It stepped back totally from redefining BPD for current dx. It is put onto list of areas 'for futher study'.

Here is a link to the final version for BPD from the DSMV official website:

www.dsm5.org/Documents/Personality%20Disorders%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

The home page is here for the manual as a whole. The table of contents by dx is in the right sidebar:

www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx

The good thing is the Axis distinctions have been removed from the whole manual. There are new codes for insurance purposes on this site also. Wonder how long it will take for the world to catch up to this change and provide the same coverage for PD's as for all other disease.

Another interesting new dx that applies to our young kids and gkids is ":)isruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder". For me, this may gradually replace the dx of bipolar for our raging children. Maybe they will get treatment that works before BPD can set in.

www.dsm5.org/Documents/Disruptive%20Mood%20Dysregulation%20Disorder%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

The other part is the proposed changes from 2010, as seen on the link above, have been retained in a seperate section for study purposes. They were deemed too complex to implement with this version.

I will read this when I can and give my impressions. Look forward to others take on it.

qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest