Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 10:23:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am suffering from some ambiguous grief suddenly  (Read 424 times)
twojaybirds

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: October 30, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »

Usually I am ok with my dd's BPD however the last few weeks I have become rather saddened and at a cross roads.

I have kept her bedroom ready for her return (and simple visits) so she knows she is still loved and welcome.  However, I think now I have to let it go... take down the wall of school photos and realize she just isn't returning in any near future.

She left about 2 years ago (with some visits) however she is becoming more and more adamant and the visits and communication fewer and more sporadic.  I received a few texts this week letting me know the restraining order is in place; for what I am not sure since it has been almost a month since we have seen each other.

Since she is at college I am trying to keep things 'normal' as in coming home over breaks but she has let me know that she as thanksgiving plans and Christmas plans

Oh well, we can only hope and pray I guess and keep moving... .but I am sad!.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:09:31 PM »

Hi, twojaybirds 

Yeah... .That really is sad. When we have a child we love so much it hurts, and then they don't want anything to do with us, it's a cloud that hardly ever goes away (like in that commercial for--what? Zoloft?). I'm truly sorry this is happening to you. It's really lousy... .

How long has this NC been going on? Is she in contact with other family members? Do you find out how she is doing "through the grapevine"? If she is college age, then she's still fairly young... .she can always change her mind, or her direction in life. Maybe even realize she needs help for her BPD and get treatment? Or, is she in therapy now, and NC anyway? I'm sorry if you've given us this information already and I just forgot... .

I know how you feel about the bedroom; I am like you and would probably not change it, either, in the hopes of a better relationship with her in the house more often. It could happen... .no? Please know we all understand how you feel, and wish you well. Maybe during this time of NC with her you can check out the links to the right-hand margin of this page and brush up on your skills for when she calls or sees you again? Then you'll be super-ready to handle it well (and it also gives you something to take your mind off your pain; it'll feel like you are taking those steps to healing on your own... .). Just a thought. It kinda works for me when things are in a foggy place. I always like to feel like I'm doing something constructive 

pessim-optimist

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 10:24:39 PM »

Hello twojaybirds,

Of course you are sad... . 

Maybe I missed it somewhere in your posts: Is the restraining order against you? I am sorry you are going through this... .

Are you still able to reach her by text?

Perhaps you can write something to her leaving the door open, and then let go... .

Is it possible that the issue with the bedroom is a symbol of your hopes that things would be a certain way, and you are realizing that they are not - hence the need to change the bedroom?

Sometimes exploring our emotions and talking them out, feeling them, and slowly adjusting to new reality helps... .

Maybe re-decorating the bedroom would be therapeutic for you. Or just talking it out here might help.

What do you think taking down those pictures would do for you?

crazedncrazymom

Relationship status: Married 19 years

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 05:19:14 AM »

Twojaybirds,

I'm so sorry this is happening.  You must be hurting so much to put so much effort into your relationship with your dd and have her shut you out.  I hope you take some solace knowing that she is in college and seems to be on a good path. 

-crazed
mary93

Relationship status: single

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 06:09:19 AM »

Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) Twojaybirds, I am in the same situation as you with the bedroom and the pictures etc. What I can tell you is that 2 weeks ago my DD came over for dinner and went to lie on her bed in her old room. I mentioned at some point that it was no longer her room and she said "yes it is my room" I personally think she needs to know that their is this "safe place" to return to if she needs it ( i had used some empty drawers to store stuff in and she opened them up and I could tell that it upset her, although I still leave the stuff in them anyways, there's a a limit to leaving things intact  Smiling (click to insert in post). In my daughters case I am thinking by changing her room I might do more damage than good. In the meantime could you not close the door or something? I personally for now, am leaving her room the way it is, but change whatever I want to all over the rest of the apartment, anything that reminds me of her and that is not good for my daily life elsewhere than in the room I have no problem removing it. I hope you find some peace soon, as it is not easy that I can tell you. Be thankful that she is in college, as my DD has abandoned everything  :'(
twojaybirds

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 08:16:45 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Let's see:

I kept the bedroom so she would know this is still home.  When she visits she does always check it out.

The same with the photos,  I have a wall of her school photos and a wall of black and white photos of the 2 of us over the years.  I think she would be terribly hurt if she were to return and these things were not in place however I am ready to fully admit that holding on to these things have also been my hope for the relationship that isn't. I am starting to feel it is keeping me stuck emotionally.  And that I am in a home I can't fully live, reserving space for the daughter that isn't and the relationship that isn't either.

I don't believe she filed a restraining order against me, since I have not been served, however I will respect that is what she told me so I won't contact her. 

She maintains an apartment that is a wonder to us all and lives between that and her college dorm.  She has a strong work ethic and can keep a job when she wants to and still keeps up her grades, despite the crazy drama she inserts everywhere and not one of her friends goes to college, in fact many don't work or freeload, deal drugs, or have figured out insurance scams at young ages.

I sometimes consider selling this home where I raised her so I can set-up something new for me.  It would take away the guilt feelings of "removing" her stuff from here which seems negative, verses creating something new for me which feels more positive.

Oh it's been almost 2 years since she left. 
mary93

Relationship status: single

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »

@Twojaybirds While reading your last post I just remembered something I heard in group therapy that I hadn't really clued in to until now. The therapist told us that  many families who have BPD children have to resort to selling their homes. I didn't really understand why but now I am understanding. I guess for those who can do it, it could be a possibility, as people do move, and then the BPD child can't actually come back and say "you got rid of my room" etc. 2 years of her gone, eventually I do understand that one has to do what is good for them. We can't keep their rooms until we die, as I'm 54 and my room is no longer available at my mothers place   
jellibeans

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 11:58:29 PM »

twojaybirds

I just wanted to say how sorry I was to read your post... .I wish I had some great advise for you. As the holidays approach I can see that this would be a sad time for you. I think you should focus on how you can make the holidays enjoyable regardless. Do not short change yourself or your family. Do things that make you happy and fill your home with joy! Start a new tradition... .take care of yourself... .
anncgrl

Relationship status: married

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 09:50:11 AM »

I feel your pain and your confusion about what comes next. Years ago I practiced tough love on my ndBPD son and I had the same reactions. His room was like a shrine and my emotions were completey shattered. My therapist kept telling me that I did not kick him out. She said he chose to leave which was technically true  since we had exceptionally reasonable conditions under which he could have had our roof over his head. He was insulted beyone measure at our conditions and so he did make the decision not to live with us. Nevertheless I could not I was in emotional pain for nearly 10 years as the process played out. Eventually we rented his room to someone and although he did not want to live there he was furious and we had abandoned him. Not much has changed in that respect.

It is years later and I am on this site due to my reactions to him and his ndBPD behavior. If I can share anything that makes much sense it is that if you wait long enough things will change again. My son had full-blown BPD about three weeks ago and now it as if it never happened... .to him... .which I guess, now that I think about it, is still full-blown BPD behavior. He and his  ndBPD girlfriend have alienated almost all of their friends and now are completely puzzled about why everyone is backing out on helping them with and attending their wedding.

I have been threatened with not seeing my grandson, my son disowning me, called a bhit by my own son... .Lord the list is long. I am so sorry for your situation. No matter what I say or  anyone else conveys to you the job of processing the emotions and hurt is yours and, just as you gain ground, guess who shows up again! Yep! You got it. The BPD and the cycle begins again. Maybe you will have less angst and maybe it will be worse. I can promise you  sharing your life with others and knowing we are all experiencing much of the same behaviors will greatly help in calming down and getting your breath. God bless you! Do what you want to do with the room if you do leave it alone for 50 years. It is just a room.

pessim-optimist

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 10:31:10 PM »

twojaybirds,

I read the thread again. The options are open in regards of what you actually do about the room, or the house. It is processing the grief that you are talking about, that is important... .

The feeling of being stuck... .Do you yearn for the feeling of 'unstuck' - what would it look like?

We are here for you; how about a therapist - can you talk this over with one?

You and the other posters are right - it comes and goes, and comes back. It is not easy to deal with. But for our own sake and our own health, we need to work through it... .
modafinilguy

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 11:05:11 PM »

twojaybirds,

I can only go by what you have written on here but you seem mild manner, calm, and highly affectionate and supportive towards your daughter.

It baffles me, you surely seem like a great mother- most people with BPD are nowhere as lucky! Well not the ones I know!

A restraining order is not valid until you have been personally served with it. So if that has not happened, you are not legally restricted.

Would be I think pretty bizarre to get a restraining order against an apparently mild mannered, loving mother. You do present well, with how you communicate.

My mother died when I was 13. If I could I would morph into your daughter! :-)

She sounds "high functioning" BPD, she might not have hit "peak crisis stage" yet in her life.

The more severe BPD, could not juggle work and study like that, its not intelligence, its the chaos within smashing their life out of order.

So she must have demonized you in some way?

Are your sure well said words cannot bridge the gap, make her reconsider?

Does she blame you unfairly for some issue?

Of course do not answer anything that is not comfortable, I do not want to pry, I just wish to understand what I am able.

How is your daughter thinking? is there any insight you can give us, that you are comfortable to give? Have you discussed this on some other thread I do not know (I am new)? Smiling (click to insert in post)

I wouldn't worry too much about the friends, I mean BPD people have problems and tend to associate with unusual sorts. I mean if they are involved with say Marijuana, I would not worry yourself, I know a lot about Marijuana and she does not at all sound like the sort to sit around all day and do nothing smoking Marijuana. But harder drugs, would be a serious concern of course.

From your wording I gathered you are religious, I have known good Christian people who have smoked Marijuana- not advocating it in any way. But they did not start basing their lives around it. Strong willed, driven people, its not going to become a big part of their life. The Christians I know work and developed families, and well marijuana just faded into their past, to be honest there just wasn't space for it.

I am just guessing.

She sounds like a somewhat usual cases of BPD compared to what I am personally used to, although I have one good friend diagnosed with BPD (but utterly rejected the diagnosis) and she is highly educated, and a teacher with a psychology degree.

I don't know. There must be more to the picture, but it is your discretion what you share. I have rarely thought, based yes on your words, but the impression I get is that you would surely be healthy for your daughter to be in her life.

If you feel the need to discuss more, please share as you wish. I would love if we could encourage or even inspire some solution to the situation.

What daughter can reject the love and affections of a mother that just wishes to be her mother?

My friend, she does have BPD, but she is one the types that has great empathy, and certain has towards her kids. I am not saying she has never caused any drama, but I truly feel she is a good mother, loves her kids greatly (well they are all 30+ year in age).

Her ex husband though, very controlling and huge manipulation exists. It is HORRID how two in particular of her own grown children treat her. She is 65, and such a loving, motherly figure. Very supportive. She would sell her house to support her kids that sort. Oh and of course had been there for various serious incidents in their life, offering great support.

She is near the age, where with her health problems, death is not out of the picture.

Its AWFUL how they are towards her. My mother died when I was 13, and I guess in a way we have sort of adopted each in mother son roles as part of our friendship.

Her son, has many university degree's, and I have heard some voicemail, he is HIGHLY cocky and arrogant. He is an arrogant, ungrateful brat. I guess you have to lose your mother when young to truly appreciate having a mother in your life. The only time he basically EVER contacts his mother, is to leave the rare occasional voicemail bragging of his academic achievements. Yet he is around 35-40, and spent so much of his life simply studying.

She has sad situation with her kids. The situation is poisoned.

Have you ever thought of being a foster mother? You would want a mild mannered kid, not too spirited, a fairly quite one.

If you could get the right youth, they would LOVE you to pieces. I suspect you are good at being a mother. Not all children in the foster care system are "rough" and you know "wild". If selection is careful, you could perhaps find a good match. Just an idea, maybe down the track.

The fact you keep her room so prepared, I mean it is touching. Some women make good mothers. I do know much about you at all, but based on your words here, you do radiate the impression of motherly figure. If I am wrong, such is life, but I can't see that I could be very wrong.

Oh I have gone on and on. Your situation honestly makes me feel quite sad. I hope something good will come of it.

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
modafinilguy

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 11:23:52 PM »

Sorry have to apologize, did not realize how long that post got.Too long <bows hat>
twojaybirds

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 07:03:02 PM »

Moda, thanks for those kinds words.

Her one stint at a P-hospital the clinical director/head p said she was the most sever case he ahs ever seen (and we live in a large large city and this is a well known p hospital) because of her ability to mask her chaos so well but still be living it

The out-patient P who she saw 2x before splitting, but who I continued to see  believes from her emails/texts/fb and choices which I were aware of she maybe both BPD and hypo manic or bipolar or reeling.

Anyways, she sent me and my mother an email this week (so much for the no-contact)  She is certainly manic right now (as she gets) and as is common with BPD seems to be in the place where she is on top of the world.  she sent photos and recanted the amazing Halloween party and how she was a thug and another friend her pimp and staying up late.  A totally inappropriate email to send to her 80 year old grandmother

and very odd to send to a mother... but that is BPD world

But dang... right when I was coming to peace with rearranging things around here.  Actually I am going to pull a few things out of "her room" that I could functionally  use else where in the house and I am making T'giving plans w/out her.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest