Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 06:12:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: having a hard time communicating with my BPD daughter 19 years old  (Read 378 times)
twix
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: December 11, 2016, 03:47:04 PM »

HI Everyone, I am new here, this is my first post. My daughter was diagnosed with bipolar at age 8 and then recently diagnosed as BPD this year. She also suffers from anxiety, panic attacks and depression. she is away at college so our only communcation is over the phone.  I have  really hard time communicating with her and it always ends up with her telling me I am not giving her what she needs and she hangs up on me. I try and be empathetic and kind, but it does not seem to be working. I am at such a loss on how to communicate with her effectively. yesterday she told me that it was a waste of time for her to call me anymore because i was not helping her. It is breaking my heart  and I feel like such a failure as a parent.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 07:52:51 PM »

Hi!
Welcome Twix:

I'm so sorry you are having problems communicating with your daughter.  Validation can be a good tool (minimally, don't invalidate).  There are several communication techniques that can help make things better when you communicate with your daughter.

Click on the links (words) below to get to some articles/tutorials for various skills to try.  I don't want to overwhelm you, so just take it a subject at a time.  It can be helpful to bookmark each link, so that you can get back to it easily. 

SETTING  BOUNDARIES

VALIDATION

VALIDATION - DON'T INVALIDATE

AVOID CIRCULAR ARGUMENTS

SET

WISE MIND

SETTING  BOUNDARIES

Validation and SET might be good strategy to try for your next conversation with your daughter.  Read them and let us know what you think.  Perhaps you can reflect on your recent conversation with your daughter.  Would you have said something differently, if you tired these skills?

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 09:40:00 AM »

Hi Twix,

Welcome and hello  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Communicating with someone who has BPD is not intuitive, it takes some special communication skills.

Do you feel comfortable sharing an example of how a typical conversation might go? Sometimes it really does come down to how things are phrased.

Does she accept she has BPD? Is she open to getting treatment?

My SO's D19 was diagnosed bipolar with psychotic depression at 16. She meets most of the criteria for BPD, and I suspect they were of the mindset that she had to be 18 to diagnose. She is also away at college. How is your daughter managing? What are her strengths? How do her BPD symptoms manifest?

Glad you found the site. We're here to walk with you  Smiling (click to insert in post)

LnL

Breathe.
twix
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 03:56:48 PM »

Most of our conversations start with her calling me crying because something has upset her or did not go her way. It is really hard to understand her when she is crying and talking at the same time and she gets upset with me when I have to ask her to repeat herself and then she hangs up on me because she is upset. Our conversations are not usually very constructive. She has been going to therapy for about 2 1/2 months. I don't think she has accepted that she is BPD. she had to take a leave of absence from school this last quarter because it was too overwhelming for her. She has been able to work, which is great because she loves her job. She is a caring, loving person. Her biggest challenge is handling her anxiety and her anger.
Bright Day Mom

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 09:19:21 PM »

Hi Twix, welcome to BPD Fam.  I think many of us have received the hysterical calls, at least I've had my share.  My D16 and I have actually had a conversation about what she needs from me in these instances and I thank her for her insight. It was helpful and basically she just needs a mom to listen and provide reassurance (this too shall pass).

Here is what I do:  First, I remind her to calm down, take a few very deep breaths (cause its annoying to them when we ask them to repeat themselves and stressful for us because we literally can't understand them), then I ask her if she is hurt? safe?  ok, that's good and proceed slowly with soft probing questions, what caused you to be upset?  Ok, what do you think will help? hmmm, what about if you try xyz... .etc. I end with hey, you got this (little boost of confidence).

It is great that your D is able to work and she enjoys it. Is she prescribed any meds for anxiety / anger (mood swings)?  I have a D away at college and the school provides social work counseling. Is this something she does or would be willing to try?  She could learn some coping techniques and forge a relationship with a counselor to take some of it off of you.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest