Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 03:32:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to support my brother who is married to BPD  (Read 365 times)
Snow80

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« on: April 23, 2019, 10:40:48 AM »

My brother has been married to a not officially diagnosed BPD for almost 10 years.  He has been to many therapists, in the past having to switch because she wanted him to, and is now been seeing one at the local Family Violence center. 
He has finally realized that he cannot stay married to her, but they have 4 kids (age 8 and under) and he hasn't left...
How can we be there for him?  Part of me is really exhausted from it all - the pattern has been there forever, just change what event triggered it this time.  Our family does not get to see them and aren't ever invited to birthday parties and holiday events, even though he wants us to be there.

I feel like when we cut off all contact, he loses whatever sense of self he has, but it's so hard to act like everything is ok when we do see her. 

He is in her prison - she tracks his every move and controls every aspect of his life. 
It seems like it's headed to an explosion - the "good" time is shorter and shorter and I don't think he can take it much longer.  I want him to be prepared - have some legal info - so he can take care of the kids.

How do I support him without enabling him? 

Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 11:50:00 AM »

How can you support him?  I would say listen with boundaries.  Listen, validate his feelings, maybe ask some questions (that help him come to his own solutions) and do it for as long as you are comfortable listening...maybe even set yourself a time limit, keep the conversations to 30mins for example so you don't end up too emotionally drained. 

What I would say is stay away from trying to control the situation or either of them...they control themselves and their marriage.  You don't want to get in the middle.  It isn't your job to rescue your brother but you can be there to assist him if he decides to take action. 

I want to share some information on the Karpman Triangle you want to try and stay off the triangle if you can...
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=108440.0

Definitely keep the lines of communication open I agree it's important he be able to have that outside link to his family.

My brother has been married to a not officially diagnosed BPD for almost 10 years.  He has been to many therapists, in the past having to switch because she wanted him to, and is now been seeing one at the local Family Violence center. 

Has there been violence in his home life or is this just a random choice on her part? 

He has finally realized that he cannot stay married to her, but they have 4 kids (age 8 and under) and he hasn't left...

Be aware that realizing this and taking action are two different things. There can be a lot of fear involved with leaving a marriage, both for himself (financially/emotionally) and as a parent (custody) and logistically (who lives where/moving), then you throw in that you are divorcing someone that may end up being very high conflict and things get really scary.  He can feel like he is stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Things may need to get worse between them, or he may feel the kids need to get older if she has them alone, or he needs to save money to make the leap to actually leave.  So he may realize the marriage isn't good but he may not act immediately as much as you would like to see him do that.

Our family does not get to see them and aren't ever invited to birthday parties and holiday events, even though he wants us to be there.

Sadly you are not alone here, we have members that are in the same boat as your brother and others in the same boat as you.  Your brother is taking the path of least resistance.  Going along to get along.

It's horribly painful to watch your brother go through all of this I know, but his choices are his.  You can't make him do what he isn't ready to do but you can be a listening ear, you can validate his feelings, and when he asks you may be able to help more.

I don't think he can take it much longer.  I want him to be prepared - have some legal info - so he can take care of the kids

I agree if he decides to leave consultations with several lawyers is a good idea (We have a really good legal board where our members share experiences and strategies that could help in the future)...but we are getting the cart before the horse.

Would he have an opportunity to come post here? (Maybe his lunch break at work or something...when he's not so under her thumb)  It might help for him to know he's not alone and their are tools that can help him. 

Snow80, I'm glad you've found us and decided to jump in and post.  You aren't alone everyone here has a person in our lives with BPD/BPD traits we "get it".  I know other members will be along soon with their thoughts and ideas.

Take Care,
Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 01:02:45 PM »

Hi and welcome!  I am sorry your going through such a tough time.  It is not easy to support someone, especially a brother we care about, who is in such a troubling situation.

Panda covered pretty much all the things I thought of when reading your post so I do not have too much to add at this point (Panda is very wise!). 

I would encourage you to share this site with him so he can get support.  We have several tools that will help him while deciding what he wants to do and some that can make a big difference, for the better, while he is still living with her.  He needs to have a wide support network in addition to you.  His counselor will help and those of us here can support him as well.

In the meantime, read as much as you can, certainly the Karpman Drama Triangle article that Panda shared.  We have lots of other stuff to read too so check out our Library section as well.  It is important that you learn how to care for you while supporting him.

please settle in, ask questions and jump into other posts.  The more involved in the site you are, the greater the benefit for you.

Again Welcome

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest