Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 07:04:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First time post about my partner  (Read 361 times)
Aston
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: February 16, 2021, 03:55:49 PM »

Hello,
This is my very first post, so thank you to those who are listening.
I have been happily married for nearly 15 years.  My wife is a very kind and compassionate person, and I love the woman I chose to spend my life with.
It kind of started after we had our first child.  She seemed extremely depressed the first week of his life, and had little to do with him.  I'm not a psychologist, but am well educated, and I suspect it may have been an undiagnosed form of postpartum depression.  My wife was career oriented, but soon chose to be a stay at home Mom; I was supportive either way.  Numerous times since his birth, and more so after our second child's birth, she began to go through severe episodes of generalized anxiety, obsessive compulsion and panic; clinically diagnosed.  At some points in time, she would be incapacitated for a week or two at a time.  Many of her triggers were specific to abandonment; like the kids being kidnapped, or I was away too much from home.  When the episodes would occur, they were very intrinsic.  She would very sad and feel empty; describing it as a 'black hole'.  She would focus on her fears of loss and abandonment and feel unworthy of our relationship.  In some circumstances she voiced the urge to leave, or getaway.  It was never directed at me personally.  However, something changed again in the last few years.  She started to go through wild mood swings, become acutely and extremely angry over simple disagreements.  The blame was very suddenly directed at me, and that I was a 'cause' for her anxiety given my heavy work schedule and my direct way of talking; albeit very calm.  Swearing became a more regular part of these angry outbursts, and binge eating and drinking seemed to be part of her coping mechanism.  She even started to make accusations regarding my family involvement, potential infidelities (of which there were none) and showed more resentment towards my work.  She would tell friends and family how great of a father and husband I was, and go as far to say that I was her perfect balance; something opposite of these negative swings.  I took some coaching to learn how to be a better active listener, rather than trying to 'solve' things.  I'm already pretty calm an collected, but it's an exercise that needs ongoing practice as I'm always having to be so careful what to say because I never know how she'll act.  A colleagues' husband is a Psychiatrist, and her sister is a Masters of Psychology.  Although not officially diagnosed, both have implied BPD as a probable underlying issue.
Anyways, that's it for now.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 06:12:46 PM »

What would you say is the biggest recurring issue in your relationship?

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Aston
Fewer than 3 Posts

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 08:02:22 AM »

From her perspective or mine?
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 10:16:07 AM »

How about both?

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest