Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 05, 2024, 03:21:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Letting go in stages...  (Read 334 times)
Tordesillas

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: June 06, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »

I think letting go of my exBPD seems to be happening in stages... .

When I cut off all contact, I got through the first stage of "letting go".

But now I'm noticing I was almost using the struggle of maintaining NC as a kind of way to hold on to her.   And part of me was looking forward to the moments when she'd reach out to try and get me to talk to her... . thereby making me feel wanted again.  I need to let go of all of that stuff now.  Geeze.  I wonder what comes next?
Octoberfest

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:24:05 PM »

I don't know that anyone has an answer for you 

I think we all heal in our own way.  We each take our own time and our own route in doing it, and i think it is the way that it needs to be.  It would be swell if there were simple set of directions to follow, but of course it is never that simple.

Each of us were in our BPD relationships for our own unique reasons... . for me, I think my answers and my road to moving on lies in self examination.  Figuring out WHY I stayed as long as I did, what MY motives were in the relationship and what HERS were.

I think I have made a little progress.

I loved loving her.  Making her feel good. Special. Wanted. Loved.  It hurt me to see her sad, or hurting.  I wanted to be that rescuer, the one who made her happy and made her smile.

She loved being loved.  She loved how I could make her feel, that I could make her feel those good feelings that she normally does not.

I have never been in a relationship besides the one I was in with her... . but I imagine that successful relationships are built on compatibility in wants, needs, morality, aspirations, and likes/dislikes.  Looking back, the only thing we had to keep us together was that I wanted to love someone and be loved back, and she wanted to be loved.  And I got enough "love" back to justify all the cheating and other hitty things that she did.

I had a role I wanted to fill, and I put a person in it who had none of the qualifications to be there.

So in my opinion, it is a learning process.  You learn what worked and what did not. 

I still miss her of course.  But i know that I could never go back.

I still hurt for her.  For all that she has gone through, both by her own choice, and by what the world had in store for such a vulnerable person.

I still grieve that someone should have to go through everything that she has.

But there is nothing I can do.  And that is both a very helpless feeling, and at the same time, although it kind of shames me to say it, a liberating one.

I learned a lot about life from her and from our relationship.  And as always, life DOES go on.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill
[/url]
cska

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »

Hey Tordesillas! 

But now I'm noticing I was almost using the struggle of maintaining NC as a kind of way to hold on to her.   And part of me was looking forward to the moments when she'd reach out to try and get me to talk to her... . thereby making me feel wanted again.  I need to let go of all of that stuff now. 

Yes, I feel exactly the same way. I'm in NC with my dBPD girl now. And she started therapy not too long  ago, and my heart clings onto the thought that she will realize how much I love her and reach out to me... .
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest