Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 06:12:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maintaining no contact when associating with BPDex's family  (Read 361 times)
Harlygirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: August 26, 2014, 10:48:31 AM »

Any advice on how to handle NC, when unavoidable associations are made through a member of BPDex's family?  I find it triggers me on bad days... .less so on good days.  And I feel conflicted about where I stand with that person... .as I have tried to maintain a good relationship with the family member... .but can't help but feel guarded.  I sense that the family member is on guard with me as well... .What is this?... .Do I try and address it with the family member... .or ignore it?   It feels as though the "elephant in the room" is growing larger and larger... .I want to maintain respectful boundaries on the issue... .(the pwBPD and the family)... .without creating conflict or distance... .Having difficulty sorting it all out ... .Uuugggghh?
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 11:09:55 AM »

water seeks it's own level

blood is thicker than water

I understand it's uncomfortable. Are you trying to maintain a relationship? Someone in your exes family is? Is it something that you can come back to later when you are in a stronger place?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
LettingGo14

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 11:11:03 AM »

Any advice on how to handle NC, when unavoidable associations are made through a member of BPDex's family?  I find it triggers me on bad days... .less so on good days.  And I feel conflicted about where I stand with that person... .as I have tried to maintain a good relationship with the family member... .but can't help but feel guarded.  I sense that the family member is on guard with me as well... .What is this?... .Do I try and address it with the family member... .or ignore it?   It feels as though the "elephant in the room" is growing larger and larger... .I want to maintain respectful boundaries on the issue... .(the pwBPD and the family)... .without creating conflict or distance... .Having difficulty sorting it all out ... .Uuugggghh?

I know this is difficult, and I am sorry you are in the midst of working through it all.  

I have come to think of "No Contact" as a tool (technique) rather than a law we enforce on ourselves.  We use NC to give ourselves space for healing.  

Sometimes we just need to trust our instincts on others in close proximity to both.  For instance, in this situation, would it be okay to address the issue with the family member?  Could you say something like:  "I'm a little uncomfortable bringing this up, but I just want you to know that (name) and I are not really speaking at this point, to give us some space for (insert your words).   I value our relationship and just want to be explicit."

Or would it be better to give yourself some space from family member too?
Harlygirl

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 12:08:30 AM »

Thank you Mutt and Lettinggo... .and apologies for the late reply... .had to post and run today.     There seems to be a delicate, slightly tense, mutual avoidance thing going on... .Which I may be be oversensitive to... .and we are in the same company pretty regularly... .Just concerned that my NC with ex may be misunderstood... .or that it could be perceived by the family member as indifference ... .As you pointed out Mutt... .water finds it's own level... .blood is thicker than water... .and apples don't fall far from the tree.    Thinking that the ex's family has very strong defenses in place to protect family members from those who are not blood ties... .just can't help feeling guarded... .and wishing I could clear the air without being perceived as a threat to those defenses... .Are these the "egg shells"?
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »

LettingGo14 makes a good point. NC is a boundary on ourselves. To give ourselves space and time to heal. There's nothing wrong with saying something simple and telling them why you have a boundary.

"I need my space to heal from the r/s and i would appreciate it if we didn't talk about (family member) at this time. I hope you understand."

What's the back story on the family? Are you trying to maintain a friendship? Do you work together? Do they watch a child while you work?

It is for your need, not their need.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Harlygirl

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »

Yes... .associated through work.   The thing is... .I find myself avoiding topics of conversation about the family... .for fear it will lead to mention of my ex... .I have tried to let the family member know that I can be a friend to them... .but get the sense that I am no longer trusted... .probably painted in a way that would make it easier for my ex to hide his own behaviors... .I know it shouldn't concern me... .but it does
seeking balance
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:03:18 AM »

Harlygirl,

Personal boundaries are important for you both - keep it professional and simple.  It is likely they are walking on eggshells as much with you as you with them.  This is pretty common for inlaws in a divorce, not even BPD really.

Does it concern you or is it making you sad, another layer of grief in processing the loss of the relationship perhaps?

Best,

SB

Faith does not grow in the house of certainty - The Shack
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest