Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 06, 2024, 05:05:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newly Inducted Into the BPD Family  (Read 339 times)
UnderEyeBaggage
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« on: March 31, 2023, 04:02:01 PM »

Where to begin...
Two weeks ago our 27-year-old daughter had spun so out of control and I knew it was time to get her some help. Another job had been lost, her studio apartment was a major disaster and public health hazard, her mood was increasingly erratic and she had become suicidal. It took two ER visits to get her to agree to being admitted and she spent the better part of two weeks in a locked psychiatric ward where she was diagnosed as Type II Bipolar, as well as having anxiety and depression and a substance abuse issue. She was put on antipsychotics and antidepressants and seemed like she was evening out very well. Two days ago she was sent to a longer term rehab facility where they changed her diagnosis to BPD with PTSD. She displays many of the hallmark BPD symptoms so it isn't surprising. The surprising thing is how exhausted I feel. I thought having her in treatment would help me relax in the knowledge that she was safe, eating regularly, sleeping well, and taking her medication and not self medicating with alcohol and street drugs. Now I can't seem to sleep and am having panic attacks and am like a raw nerve of emotion. It definitely didn't help when my first Google searches of BPD pretty much pointed the finger directly at me as the "parent from hell". Granted I have my moments and take a great deal of responsibility for her condition. Her biological father died when she was four and I was pregnant with her brother. The brutally honest truth is that I was not in love with him anymore. Yes, I loved him as a person but I didn't want to be married to him. So I moved on quickly. Probably too quickly for someone with a child. I was selfish and wanted the life of a stable young married person. Not the "poor widow". I married my current husband (20 years this summer) and he helped me raise her, our son and we had one child together. I think I always pushed for "normalcy". I grew up with a rather emotionally unstable mother and the stress of that has made me a little, what some people call "cold". Which in all honesty is not how I feel internally but I am very ill adept at dealing with high emotion. (Bad match with a BPD child) So I shut down and prefer the position of the ostrich with its head in the sand. I know I didn't fully appreciate the depth of her loss and wanted to move on with a regular life. At 50 I know too many people and too many stories and have lived too long to still believe in "a normal life" (proviso - good and full are not synonymous with "normal") but at 27 that was my dream. Life was ok for a few years. She always did prefer to be with his family and so she spent many weekends with her grandmother and uncle. And her stepdad, my current husband, just didn't mesh well with her dad's family. There was some tension over boundaries and as time went on the tension increased when our daughter turned 12 and 13 and her small behaviors turned to lying, sneaking out, shoplifting, school truancy and threats to "run away" when asked to do the simplest of chores and when we tried to set boundaries or enact the punishment of grounding her biological dad's family would console her, reinforce how awful we were and so we stopped communicating. This was her greatest triumph and worked in her favor for years. By the time she left at 18 the tidal wave of emotional eggshells were ready to snap the walls of our home. We all avoided her. She was cruel, demanding, confrontational and unpredictable and occasionally violent with her younger brother. She adored her baby sister but I was terrified she would do something to her, even on accident in a rage so I was wildly overprotective. We had stopped parenting basically, opting for just trying to get her to graduate. No one ever wanted to upset her. We scattered like cockroaches when a light switched on if we heard her slam a door. She hated us. Wished I was the one that died. Told all manner of horrible things to her biological dads family about us and our "abuses". Told her siblings untrue stories and things so they now avoid her. I think her stepdad withdrew from her more just because she was not afraid to tell pretty horrible lies and the fear of being accused of something unthinkable became a real threat so he kept his distance. I eventually had a nervous breakdown of sorts and ended up on anxiety medicine for a few years. She left home as soon as she graduated and a sense of quiet and relief flooded over the house, the other children grew, another one graduated and went to college and we moved to our little farm and she visited from time to time (some visits good, some not). Fast forward 9 years...a phone call I had dreaded...lost another job...boyfriend dumped...moving back home to start over...lived at our house for two weeks and HAD to have an apartment she found. (Same one my husband and I just packed up and cleaned out today). In this highly tumultuous six months she wrecked a 4th car in two years, has alienated her youngest sibling (15y.o.) who has since begged us not to let her live with us again , gone through four jobs, and thousands of dollars from us. We tried to throw money at this and it is truly "shame on us" because it didn't work. No matter how we tried to comfortably set her up. I am back on my anti anxiety meds...Laugh out loud (click to insert in post). And now we have the perfect diagnosis...she called me to tell me her diagnosis and to "look it up"...because she "can't help it" and it is caused by "emotional abuse"...I believe she has it. I want her to get the help she needs. I most ardently love her. But I don't like her very much right now. Ugly. Truth. And I absolutely know I do not want her living in our house when this 30 days is up. I am a writhing mass of guilt, anger and fear and more than anything just wanted to get that out. Would appreciate any thoughts, experiences, feedback...Love to you all!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
4love

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: on the verge of estranged

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 09:14:53 PM »

Hi Under Eye Baggage-  I am also new to the forum and new to the adult child diagnosis of BPD.

Much of what you have shared  is familiar to me. My dd  did not engage in truancy, sneaking or drugs. But she lies about everything. By the time she entered high school she started becoming obstinate about not doing required school work.  She had never followed through for responsibilities for caring for her personal spaces or within the home. She was definitely drawn to anything dangerous but thankfully not able to access much of it. In my case it was her father ( then my husband) and  not in-laws who undermined structure. I would remove privileges or allow natural consequences to occur and he would intervene.

I have also been engaging in beating myself up about what I may have done wrong. And I am doing so because of everything you read about causes of BPD and I agree that much of it comes from the mental health/psychology community. Even my new T has told me that something probably happened when dd was 18 months that triggered her genetic predisposition for BPD. Seriously-  I did much that wasn't good for her but most of it occurred when she was a tween/ teen. I am baffled by this. And then once I have described the family dynamics, should told me that under no circumstance should I engage in family therapy with dd, ex and his gf (soon to be wife). She told me it would be akin to a Christian walking into a colosseum full of lions. ( Dd is presently in a long term residential program and family therapy is part of the process.)  So yes- I am thoroughly confused as to whether I am villain or victim. Maybe both?

I agree with you that there really is no such thing as normal. I am convinced that it is more about the ability to persevere but who knows. Several years ago I stopped fixing things for her. I had hoped she would step up but others always stepped up to fix it for her or she didn't try.

I am in the same boat as you in regards to having my dd live with me again. Before everything imploded recently she felt me out about living with me again. I have laid down a firm boundary in that there are very limited circumstances under which she can live with me- meaning temporary.  And now I wonder if I could I have saved her from this final crash and burn- but I also know that living with me did not do so before.  Several of my friends are urging me to not allow her to live with me.  My newT says I should not allow her to live with me- even temporarily.  I am torn.  I am hoping that this program helps her find a way to grow into a self- sufficient person because I don't think I can have her live with me.

You are dealing with so much- the yet again collapse of your dd world. And now that you have entered the BPD world- you are hit with having to evaluate yourself as the cause. This sent me back to a therapist- so I fully understand your anxiety. And you have other children to consider as well.

I really have no advice except read read, read- all over this forum and the books recommended. I have signed up for the Family Connections 12 wk course for family members but there is a long wait. I have also signed up for their new 2 day course on Suicide and Trauma. I am hopeful they will provide helpful input .

Above all everything I am hearing is how important it is to take care of yourself. So please- take care of you!
UnderEyeBaggage
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 03:08:09 PM »

Dear 4love,

Thank you for the thoughtful response! I'm finding it really helps to talk things through with myself and others.

You mention that you "Stopped fixing things" and I completely understand. That is kind of where we tried to go as well and I am not sure there is "fixing" anything with BPD unless our children decide to make the changes necessary. Although I know very little, other than what you shared, I would agree with your friends and your therapist. It is probably not a good idea for your daughter to move in with you. I don't know much about you, but I know I am very non confrontational, I hate fighting and boiling emotions (in fact I kind of freeze up and panic or go spaz mode...both very ineffective) and my daughter is very strong willed and will use some very effective tactics to get her way. So if yours has the same ability to back you into a corner it is probably not wise to be under the same roof. If we let them in before they are really on their way to mental health, I see it going badly. And as for having the big "hash it all out" meeting with family, I think it is absolutely correct that it shouldn't be with your ex and family. It is the same for us. I have been on speaking terms with my brother-in-law from my previous marriage since this started but he seems way too keen on having the big meeting to air everything out...I get a whiff of Jerry Springer coming from his sentiments and have no interest in watching him and my husband come to blows as he makes all kinds of blanket statements about how awful we were as parents.

Again, we could have done better as parents. I don't know many parents who wouldn't say the same thing. We all do the best we can with what we know and hope and try for the best outcomes. You take care of yourself as well. Let's just keep putting one foot in front of the other!  With affection (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest